Martin Mayhew hired to be WFT GM, not sure of Marty Hurney’s role yet

turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He also was a Washington Redskin who was on a Super Bowl winning team. I have to believe that Snyder likes that about him.

Hey, maybe in a few years he can’t have us be like the 2019 San Francisco 49ers?

Probably not but crazier things have happened.

Wouldn't that also apply to Manusky?

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

So who has authority? Is Mayhew the boss or is Hurney? Or, if we assume Rivera is the boss, who is the #2 man? Mayhew is the “GM,” but Hurney has the prior relationship. Are we really expecting Kyle Smith with his track record to be satisfied as, at best, the 5th-ranking decision maker in the organization?

The most important question: why do they have to make everything so god damn hard? This didn’t have to be complicated.

Even if you’re not comfortable with Rivera and Smith as the duo, then just hire one veteran GM who will be counted on to bring the experience and some time-tested methods/processes to the table. Why do you need two? What is Martin Mayhew bringing that Marty Hurney couldn’t provide, or vice versa? Neither of them can hold a candle to Kyle Smith in terms of talent evaluation, which seems like the most important part, so what are we getting out of this two-headed monster (that will surely drive him out of town)?

I told you guys we were gonna WFT this.

Mayhew oversaw Pro Personnel for us, so if you have a guy that you're fond of who manages the draft process, hopefully he will keep doing that and Mayhew will manage finances / free agency and the like and they'll work together as a team. That's the way the 9ers basically did it; Adam Peters had control of the draft and college scouting under Lynch / Shanny (who obviously ultimately made the decision)  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He also was a Washington Redskin who was on a Super Bowl winning team. I have to believe that Snyder likes that about him.

Hey, maybe in a few years he can’t have us be like the 2019 San Francisco 49ers?

Probably not but crazier things have happened.

So who is in charge, Rivera or Snyder?  

This is the part that is so frustrating, and if this team didn't run in my blood I would be so done with them.  

• Like 2

It’s just sad this team does things one season and then it always feels like we’re back to The Who the heck knows who’s in charge!!! But I’m glad we brought in guys that can find First rounders!!! Oh wait we had that plus!!! I’m sorry after 20 plus years I don’t think you become something your not you have the vision you have. Kyle actually had gifts!!! Hopefully he can steal us one more mid rounder!!! I’m seriously going to miss Kyle here as he clearly had a vision for the direction the game was headed and not building around where teams around them are at.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Mayhew oversaw Pro Personnel for us, so if you have a guy that you're fond of who manages the draft process, hopefully he will keep doing that and Mayhew will manage finances / free agency and the like and they'll work together as a team. That's the way the 9ers basically did it; Adam Peters had control of the draft and college scouting under Lynch / Shanny (who obviously ultimately made the decision)  

We can only hope!!!

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Wouldn't that also apply to Manusky?

Sure but Manusky didn’t have much success as a defensive coach when Gruden gave him the job over established good defensive coordinators like Mike Pettine who 5 years later is still the packers defensive coordinator and two years in a row his defense has helped get to the NFC Championship Game.

Mayhew built the Lions of all franchises into a 10 & 11 win team w/in a 5 year period. We’d kill for that in DC.

Then, he went to San Fran and helped Lynch & Kyle Shanahan build a Super Bowl team that came w/in two plays of winning the super bowl. If Jimmy G could just throw an accurate post route to Emanuel Sanders they win the Super Bowl last year and not the Chiefs, same with Jimmy G’s bad int to Kendall Fuller to basically end the game.

If Jimmy G had done that, Mayhew would have his 2nd Super Bowl. One as a player for Washington in 1991 and one as a front office executive in San Fran.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:

We do, Kyle Smith has been managing most of the draft work since 2014 and it’s been the best 7 year stretch of drafts for Washington since the 1980s when we appeared in 3 Super Bowls winning 2, and then most of same FO people then constructed the 1991 Washington football team which is known as one of the greatest teams fo all time.

Kyle Smith is still doing the draft stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

It’s just sad this team does things one season and then it always feels like we’re back to The Who the heck knows who’s in charge!!! But I’m glad we brought in guys that can find First rounders!!! Oh wait we had that plus!!! I’m sorry after 20 plus years I don’t think you become something your not you have the vision you have. Kyle actually had gifts!!! Hopefully he can steal us one more mid rounder!!! I’m seriously going to miss Kyle here as he clearly had a vision for the direction the game was headed and not building around where teams around them are at.

Kyle Smith hasn’t been fired. As someone reminded me on Twitter  when I said he should get the GM job on Twitter, Kyle just got promoted by Rivera last year to head up the scouting/draft department. I don’t think Mayhew’s hire changes Kyle’s role along with Tim Grimble who’ve been building draft boards for years, at least since 2017.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

The Lions have been a porous franchise since their inception. Arguably their most successful run, was after their 0-16 season when Mayhew was hired. They had some talented teams and decent coaching staffs. Made the playoffs a few times and even won 11 and 10 games I believe. Washington can’t say the same.

Not to mention, a stand up organization in SF felt he was qualified enough to hold an executive-level position within their front office. They have talent up and down the roster and we all know John Lynch isn’t a personnel guru handpicking players.

I’m not trying to overhype Martin Mayhew, but totally discrediting him as a GM is lame. Be better.

I mean I can't say this is a bad hire. I'm just not sure. I know he's had some successes, but boy, IIRC, there were some failures (hence why he was fired). So this one is more of a "meh" to me (with upside)

My problem I guess with this is what @e16bballlaid down. What a moronic way to go about filling out the Front Office.

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I mean I can't say this is a bad hire. I'm just not sure. I know he's had some successes, but boy, IIRC, there were some failures (hence why he was fired). So this one is more of a "meh" to me.

My problem I guess with this is what @e16bballlaid down. What a moronic way to go about filling out the Front Office.

I don’t think much has changed except Rivera wanted more experience to help him with personnel/front office stuff so he could focus more on just coaching the football team. 

Rivera has final say. 

This is how the Shanahan/Allen collaboration started with Shanahan having total control but as we all remember it was short lived as Snyder started to meddle in March of 2010 when he told s Shanahan to trade for McNabb.

I think Rivera is stronger than Shanahan as Shanahan obviously wanted to be a winner and do what he thought was best bet if Snyder override him like with McNabb or trading up for RG3 then, Shanahan would go along and just collect his pay check.

Rivera strikes me more as a Bethard/Casserly/Gibbs personality where he’s going to tell Snyder we need to do it this way for this reason and would threaten to quit if it got as bad as it did between Shanahan & Snyder.

I mean Rivera already won the battle over Haskins, a war that Gruden lost in 2019 w/ Snyder and was eventually fired bc Keenum couldn’t deliver wins for the team the first 5 games & Haskins wasn’t working hard enough to be ready to play in Gruden’s system.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Kyle Smith hasn’t been fired. As someone reminded me on Twitter  when I said he should get the GM job on Twitter, Kyle just got promoted by Rivera last year to head up the scouting/draft department. I don’t think Mayhew’s hire changes Kyle’s role along with Tim Grimble who’ve been building draft boards for years, at least since 2017.

And I see that side as well which is why I’m not going to set the building on fire just because I felt there was a chance to really see a guy grow I completely understand these moves. They aren’t bad typical status quo moves of previous mishandles we have seen in the past. Both guys are very qualified to be where they will be and im thrilled to have better football minds in the building in any capacity. But I just have my own opinions and honestly I think we will see the structure of power once the offseason is over. If they step over Kyle I think we will see it simply based of the type of players we pick and sign in FA. I just know while it does take more then a promising talent evaluator and scouting dept to build a winner you have to make sure the one that’s been shining in that role can’t be poached so I’m hoping that maybe somehow they realize this going forward with this structure and do everything in their power to make sure we can’t lose this guy in a year or two because if we do win these last three classes plus will be the major reason Ron gets them there. I just honestly need it to work out the best for the team ultimately I’m hoping these moves continue the growth of the staff roster and culture moving forward. Because I think we are very very close to something special if they keep the momentum going

13 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

The ONLY silver lining I see in any of this is, the more tight knit the RR circle is, the more it keeps Dan Snyder out of it.

Very true that has been a reason of my flexibility with these moves to not get to high or low reguardless because as long as this structure keeps football guys doing the football things were still on the right track.