Martin Mayhew hired to be WFT GM, not sure of Marty Hurney’s role yet

turtle28

I am very proud of Ron though personally putting this team on the forefront of things. I believe we have a very diverse staff roster and FO and I believe that all these guys are very well respected and him promoting King as a full time assistant is something I’m greatful to see associated with this team. We’ve been behind on so many fronts and to see growth on each and every level of this FO coaching staff and roster gives me a good feeling going forward. No matter what Ron does on the field I am thankful he has just brought a different working enviroment to this organization and it speaks volumes to the man he is and I’m really wishing him all the best moving forward with hopefully the roster that sets the pace for this division moving forward. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I am very proud of Ron though personally putting this team on the forefront of things. I believe we have a very diverse staff roster and FO and I believe that all these guys are very well respected and him promoting King as a full time assistant is something I’m greatful to see associated with this team. We’ve been behind on so many fronts and to see growth on each and every level of this FO coaching staff and roster gives me a good feeling going forward. No matter what Ron does on the field I am thankful he has just brought a different working enviroment to this organization and it speaks volumes to the man he is and I’m really wishing him all the best moving forward with hopefully the roster that sets the pace for this division moving forward. 

Maybe you need to define what you mean by diverse staff, because all I am seeing are guys that Ron worked with in Carolina, and someone who shares the same agent. 

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

It’s just sad this team does things one season and then it always feels like we’re back to The Who the heck knows who’s in charge!!! But I’m glad we brought in guys that can find First rounders!!! Oh wait we had that plus!!! I’m sorry after 20 plus years I don’t think you become something your not you have the vision you have. Kyle actually had gifts!!! Hopefully he can steal us one more mid rounder!!! I’m seriously going to miss Kyle here as he clearly had a vision for the direction the game was headed and not building around where teams around them are at.

Yeah, we know what the ceiling is for guys like Hurney and Mayhew.  We have no idea what the ceiling really is for Kyle Smith.  

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I mean I can't say this is a bad hire. I'm just not sure. I know he's had some successes, but boy, IIRC, there were some failures (hence why he was fired). So this one is more of a "meh" to me (with upside)

My problem I guess with this is what @e16bballlaid down. What a moronic way to go about filling out the Front Office.

Oh, I'm comfortable calling it a bad hire.  41-63, and getting fired midseason is bad enough for me.  And at 55, how much has he really learned and going to change and put towards this new opportunity?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Maybe you need to define what you mean by diverse staff, because all I am seeing are guys that Ron worked with in Carolina, and someone who shares the same agent. 

I think its fairly obvious what he means by diverse staff and I agree with him.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Mayhew oversaw Pro Personnel for us, so if you have a guy that you're fond of who manages the draft process, hopefully he will keep doing that and Mayhew will manage finances / free agency and the like and they'll work together as a team. That's the way the 9ers basically did it; Adam Peters had control of the draft and college scouting under Lynch / Shanny (who obviously ultimately made the decision)  

Yes, thank you.  I do not understand the freak out over this hire.  This a multi-billion dollar corporation.  There is a lot more to do than just tell people who to draft.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

So we're back to winning "Off the field" and you're good with that ? Oooo Kkkkkk .

How so? Mayhew built a 10-6 & 11-5 teams and he also helped build the 49ers into a Super Bowl contender they are. This hiring was about football, shouldn’t we be glad about that.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I think its fairly obvious what he means by diverse staff and I agree with him.  

My issue is, you put a bunch of guys in the room with the same background, no divergent opinions are brought forth, or knowledge from other systems are brought in.  That is how you put a lid on growth.  In practical terms for the NFL, if you struggle to beat certain coverages, no one in the coach's room is going to help beat that coverage because they are all from the same line of thinking.  No one brings that different perspective in.  

So for me, a diverse staff means that you bring these different viewpoints into play.  And quite frankly, we don't have that, and I've hated it even going back to Gibbs, because we had a dinosaur of an offense because he brought the band back together.  If you don't grow, you are going to wither and die as an organization.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Oh, I'm comfortable calling it a bad hire.  41-63, and getting fired midseason is bad enough for me.  And at 55, how much has he really learned and going to change and put towards this new opportunity?  

Man, I’d give my left arm for Washington to go 11-5.

Just to let you know, since the Lions fired Mayhew & Caldwell they’ve gotten worse, not better under Patricia & company.

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

My issue is, you put a bunch of guys in the room with the same background, no divergent opinions are brought forth, or knowledge from other systems are brought in.  That is how you put a lid on growth.  In practical terms for the NFL, if you struggle to beat certain coverages, no one in the coach's room is going to help beat that coverage because they are all from the same line of thinking.  No one brings that different perspective in.  

So for me, a diverse staff means that you bring these different viewpoints into play.  And quite frankly, we don't have that, and I've hated it even going back to Gibbs, because we had a dinosaur of an offense because he brought the band back together.  If you don't grow, you are going to wither and die as an organization.  

They have different perspectives. Mayhew has been in the front office of 3 or 4 teams. Kyle Smith brings his vast scouting and draft knowledge, Rivera brings his just straight up coaching & hard nose developing a team knowledge like he did in Carolina and started to do here in year 1.

If Hurney still is hired as a consultant I don’t know that he’ll have much of a role. I think he’s going to just be assisting people and giving guidance, particularly to Rivera.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Man, I’d give my left arm for Washington to go 11-5.

Just to let you know, since the Lions fired Mayhew & Caldwell they’ve gotten worse, not better under Patricia & company.

He was still sub .500 in his tenure there.  If you want to go for mediocrity, hey, that's you.  If one year of 11-5 is worthwhile, great.  I want to be better.  Martin Mayhew doesn't make us better.  We know who he is.  There is a ceiling to him.  Even if it's not Kyle Smith, who is the next big thing in front office circles?  If we had poached someone from a successfully run organization like New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Seattle or Kansas City, I would be fine with it.  But we aren't.  We're hiring guys in their 50's and 60's, who have sub .500 records running organizations, and thinking that they are going to do big things here.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Ok, that's not what I was talking about, but let's look at what you're talking about.  

The 4 most important people on the coaching staff are Rivera, OC Scott Turner, DC Jack Del Rio, & ST Nate Kaczor.  

Turner spent 2018 & 2019 with Rivera on the Panthers, but was only OC for a portion of 2019.  

To my knowledge, Jack Del Rio has never coached with Rivera prior to WFT.

Kaczor was a holdover from the Gruden regime and has never coached with Rivera before.  

Edited by MKnight82