Martin Mayhew hired to be WFT GM, not sure of Marty Hurney’s role yet

turtle28

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

It was kinda tongue in cheek since Turtle asked for "cheap" .. I don't want the guy but he could realistically be had for what ?? The third round pick returned.  

I really don’t think Garapolo is on the trade block unless somehow the 49ers were able to acquire DeShaun or Dak. Other than that it’s not likely they’ll upgrade Garapolo as their QB. People have acted like he’ll be cut for years but I don’t see it. While Garapolo is no way a great QB, he’s been good & the team wins when he starts. He’s kind of like their Alex Smith. I don’t know why they win when he starts over others but they do and a lot of it probably has to do with leadership qualities he learned from Brady, he’s efficient & that he doesn’t turn the ball over a lot which are 3 things that Alex is known for too.

And, if the Texans trade DeShaun to the 49ers, I think Garapolo would be going back to the Texans ins that deal

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

That doesn't make sense since Hurney's title is VP of Football and Player Personnel.  Plus Rivera is quoted talking about Hurney's impressive talent evaluation skills doesn't point to procedural work.  If anything it sounds like Hurney is the personnel guy and Mayhew is the organizational guy. 

So super weird to have two guys essentially doing the same thing reporting to the same guy.  Both are GMs who aren't GMs since the coach is the GM.  One gets a GM title and the other gets a title that makes more sense considering neither is the GM.  

I loop back to my comment from earlier this week, seems like too many cooks in the kitchen.  

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

That doesn't make sense since Hurney's title is VP of Football and Player Personnel.  Plus Rivera is quoted talking about Hurney's impressive talent evaluation skills doesn't point to procedural work.  If anything it sounds like Hurney is the personnel guy and Mayhew is the organizational guy. 

So super weird to have two guys essentially doing the same thing reporting to the same guy.  Both are GMs who aren't GMs since the coach is the GM.  One gets a GM title and the other gets a title that makes more sense considering neither is the GM.  

I loop back to my comment from earlier this week, seems like too many cooks in the kitchen.  

It’s not too many cooks in the kitchen all front offices have multiple guys. Look, I understand 99% of this forum is trying to find reasons why this wont work but we just don’t know. 

I read Hurney is more of a numbers guy somewhere & administrative/contracts guy in the past somewhere. 

Mayhew is a purely talent evaluator from what I know. He’s been that his entire front office career 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s not too many cooks in the kitchen all front offices have multiple guys. Look, I understand 99% of this forum is trying to find reasons why this wont work but we just don’t know. 

I read Hurney is more of a numbers guy somewhere & administrative/contracts guy in the past somewhere. 

Mayhew is a purely talent evaluator from what I know. He’s been that his entire front office career 

I mean, he’s a talent evaluator in title but he’s not a “talented” evaluator based on his history. And I love people saying “well he drafted Matt Stafford” lol. He was the first pick in the draft. He also picked Eric Ebron in the top 10 and drafted Titus Young. He was a dreadful GM with the record to show. I’d almost be willing to stake my footballsfuture account on Rivera being out of here before his deal is up. This is going to bomb so badly. 

Take the young, up and coming talent evaluator and push him out the building so you can give your buddies a couple jobs. If you think this is any different then what we did under Bruce Allen then you’re kidding yourself. The only difference is Bruce was a crappy person and Rivera isn’t. I don’t care what anybody says this should’ve been the KOC and Kyle Smith show. They’ll both be successful in this league. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, he’s a talent evaluator in title but he’s not a “talented” evaluator based on his history. And I love people saying “well he drafted Matt Stafford” lol. He was the first pick in the draft. He also picked Eric Ebron in the top 10 and drafted Titus Young. He was a dreadful GM with the record to show. I’d almost be willing to stake my footballsfuture account on Rivera being out of here before his deal is up. This is going to bomb so badly. 

Take the young, up and coming talent evaluator and push him out the building so you can give your buddies a couple jobs. If you think this is any different then what we did under Bruce Allen then you’re kidding yourself. The only difference is Bruce was a crappy person and Rivera isn’t. I don’t care what anybody says this should’ve been the KOC and Kyle Smith show. They’ll both be successful in this league. 

You act like we haven’t missed on picks the last 7 years? I laid out the picks Mayhew had a page or two ago & the FA signings in Detroit, they are far better as a package than what Washington has done in the same time frame, especially when you consider he also helped build San Fran into the team it is too.

Mayhew built a 10 win team and an 11 win team w/in a 4 year period in Detroit of all players. Even if that’s all we get out of him being our GM the next 5 years with the other 3 seasons being average I’d take it bc w/ Bruce/ Kyle & 2 years of McCloughan in 7 years the team only had one 9 win season. Maybe that’s more on Bruce’s, but Kyle was part of that front office for good or bad.

I love Kyle Smith’s potential, but he’s probably not ready to handle all of the responsibilities bc he doesn’t have experience on the pro player side of things w/ free agency or negotiating  contracts. Martin Mayhew has experience doing it all for the last 12 years.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

You act like we haven’t missed on picks the last 7 years? I laid out the picks Mayhew had a page or two ago & the FA signings in Detroit, they are far better as a package than what Washington has done in the same time frame, especially when you consider he also helped build San Fran into the team it is too.

Mayhew built a 10 win team and an 11 win team w/in a 4 year period in Detroit of all players. Even if that’s all we get out of him being our GM the next 5 years with the other 3 seasons being average I’d take it bc w/ Bruce/ Kyle & 2 years of McCloughan in 7 years the team only had one 9 win season. Maybe that’s more on Bruce’s, but Kyle was part of that front office for good or bad.

I love Kyle Smith’s potential, but he’s probably not ready to handle all of the responsibilities bc he doesn’t have experience on the pro player side of things w/ free agency or negotiating  contracts. Martin Mayhew has experience doing it all for the last 12 years.

Mayhew is 20 friggin games under .500 as a GM. He sucks. Hurney might even be worse. Excusing these hires is ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Mayhew is 20 friggin games under .500 as a GM. He sucks. Hurney might even be worse. Excusing these hires is ridiculous. 

I don’t care about overall records. You have to factor in why some of those years were bad. He took over an 0-16 team for gods sakes and 3 or 4 years later they won 10 games and made the playoffs.

Then Stafford kept getting hurt & They had a few years where they weren’t as good. Then he fired Jim Schwartz and in 2014 hired Jim Caldwell.

Then in 2015 Rivera had his team go 15-1 & barely lost the super bowl.

If you can have a 5 year span where we go 10-6, 11-5 & then 15-1 don’t tell me you won’t take it!

That would be the best 5 year span in WF team history I think or 2nd best.

Whats freaking hilarious is on Twitter I’m defending Kyle Smith and here I’m defending Martin Mayhew. Freaking WFT fans, never happy, never patient, never willing to see if something works before killing it with their hot takes.

Dude you should take over for Stephen A Smith on First Take 😂 

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t care about overall records. You have to factor in why some of those years were bad. He took over an 0-16 team for gods sakes and 3 or 4 years later they won 10 games and made the playoffs.

Then Stafford kept getting hurt & They had a few years where they weren’t as good. Then he fired Jim Schwartz and in 2014 hired Jim Caldwell.

Then in 2015 Rivera had his team go 15-1 & barely lost the super bowl.

If you can have a 5 year span where we go 10-6, 11-5 & then 15-1 don’t tell me you won’t take it!

That would be the best 5 year span in WF team history I think or 2nd best.

Actually, no. He didn’t take over an 0-16 team. He was GM of the 0–16 team. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Actually, no. He didn’t take over an 0-16 team. He was GM of the 0–16 team. 

Thanks, didn’t realize that and don’t you think that and 2009 his first true off-season as Gm sway his record into being below .500 or are you just going to ignore that?

He had to clean up Matt Millen’s  mistakes that doesn’t just happen instantly. The 2008 team most of which he inherited needed rebuilt so I’m sorry I got that wrong but it doesn’t really change my point much.

It’s like when Shanahan inherited Cerrato and Zorn’s mess in 2010 after our old team fell apart in 2009 l. Our team needed rebuilt just the same which took 3 years and in 2010 we went 10-6, won the division and may have won our playoff game vs the Seahawks if not for RG3 blowing out his knee.

Edited by turtle28

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Thanks, didn’t realize that and don’t you think that and 2009 his first true off-season as Gm sway his record into being below .500 or are you just going to ignore that?

He had to clean up Matt Millen’s  mistakes that doesn’t just happen instantly. The 2008 team most of which he inherited needed rebuilt so I’m sorry I got that wrong but it doesn’t really change my point much.

It’s like when Shanahan inherited Cerrato and Zorn’s mess in 2010 after our old team fell apart in 2009 l. Our team needed rebuilt just the same which took 3 years and in 2010 we went 10-6, won the division and may have won our playoff game vs the Seahawks if not for RG3 blowing out his knee.

We had John Beck and Rex Grossman starting and still managed not to go 0-16. Do you have any idea how hard it is to go an entire NFL season without winning a game? The Jets just tried everything they could to do it and still failed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

We had John Beck and Rex Grossman starting and still managed not to go 0-16. Do you have any idea how hard it is to go an entire NFL season without winning a game? The Jets just tried everything they could to do it and still failed. 

Dude your impossible. I hope you find happiness in other areas of your life bc you seem like the most unhappy person in here. You’re never happy. Whatever

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Dude your impossible. I hope you find happiness in other areas of your life bc you seem like the most unhappy person in here. You’re never happy. Whatever

Getting the crap kicked out of you by a little man since 1999 will do that to someone. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Getting the crap kicked out of you by a little man since 1999 will do that to someone. 

Well yeah, I’ve been getting crap kicked out of me as a fan since 1993 but if something isn’t delivering the results we want/need as fans changes need to be made to see if something else works and hopefully it does.