Seattle Seahawks -- Off-Season Thread

showtime

Wanted to take a while to make this after the tough and disappointing defeat in the postseason.

As you all know, Brian Schottenheimer is gone. Personally, I'm happy with this change. I think after the way the season ended and the postseason performance, a big change needed to be made. Not sure why Wilson and the offense has continued to sputter towards the end of the last two seasons, but hopefully this will be addressed with a new OC.

How do you all feel about Jamal Adams? He's amazing in the box and makes a lot of big plays, but I'm kind of shocked about how terrible he is in coverage. He literally looks lost in coverage at times, it's almost as if he's never played before.  Overall, he's pretty much essentially a great linebacker, which is fine. 

Any regret in making the trade for him? What is the outlook for his future in Seattle and do you see him growing as a player?

I think Adams fits what Seattle wants on defense really well. His coverage seemed fine, but I think played himself out of position and took bad angles on balls. Things that can be cleaned up or worked out with more time in the scheme. 

I think ideally he would play safety on early downs, and switch to an off ball LB/Rover on passing downs. Kind of surprised we didnt see more of this look this year considering Seattle has the personnel to do so. Thinking Diggs-Neal-Amadi(Blair next season)-Adams could group on on passing downs to get the best out of everyone. Maybe with KJ moving on as a FA, Seattle will have an incentive to run that style of defense. Maybe even throw Adams on the edge in a NASCAR package (Robinson - Green - Dunlap - Adams) along the front. 

Edited by animaltested

Seattles 2021 FA List

UFA

CB Shaq Griffin

LB KJ Wright

RB Chris Carson

C Ethan Pocic

TE Greg Olsen

EDGE Bruce Irvin

TE Jacob Holilster

DE Benson Mayowa

ST/FB Nick Bellore

WR David Moore

RB Carlos Hyde

G Mike Iupati

T Cedric Ogbuehi

CB Quinton Dunbar

QB Geno Smith

CB Nieko Thorpe

DL Brenden Jackson

WR Phillip Dorsett

WR Josh Gordan

DB Demarious Randall

DE Datone Moore

S Delano Hill

CB Jayson Stanley

RFA

DT Poona Ford

EDGE Shaqueem Griffin

C Kyle Fuller

ERFA

DT Bryan Mone

G Jordan Simmons

S Ryan Neal

DB Linden Stephens

UNDERLINE ; Denotes a player that started in 2020 or had a significant role

Ford, Neal and Mone are the three "must resign". 

I think Seattle resigns Mayowa, Bellore, and Geno Smith

Wouldnt be surprised to see Ogbuehi and Simmons back either. 

Everyone, I think signs elsewhere. 

With limited cap space, and only 4 (maybe) picks, its going to be a chore replacing all those snaps. 

Edited by animaltested

KJ Wright => Barton + Brooks

Shaq => Reed + Flowers

Olsen + Hollister => Dissly + Parkinson + Mabry + Stephens

Iupati + Pocic => Rookies + Haynes

Carson + Hyde => Rookie + Dallas + Penny + Homer

Seattle could get by losing these guys. But the team overall would be taking a step back if they cant improve the play of those replacement snaps. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 2:50 PM, animaltested said:

I think Adams fits what Seattle wants on defense really well. His coverage seemed fine, but I think played himself out of position and took bad angles on balls. Things that can be cleaned up or worked out with more time in the scheme. 

I think ideally he would play safety on early downs, and switch to an off ball LB/Rover on passing downs. Kind of surprised we didnt see more of this look this year considering Seattle has the personnel to do so. Thinking Diggs-Neal-Amadi(Blair next season)-Adams could group on on passing downs to get the best out of everyone. Maybe with KJ moving on as a FA, Seattle will have an incentive to run that style of defense. Maybe even throw Adams on the edge in a NASCAR package (Robinson - Green - Dunlap - Adams) along the front. 

I think the further Adams is from the line of scrimmage the worse he is. You mentioned he takes bad angles and is out of position, which is huge.  Just a glaring example.... Jared Goff throws a ball up for grabs to Cooper Kupp late in the first half of the game. Adams is right there, but he plays the ball so poorly.  He played that pass as if he had never played in coverage in his life. The absolute worst case scenario with a play like that should be an in-completion, but Adams just allows Kupp to catch the ball and does nothing to deter him.  It's kind of crazy because even like the worst safety in the league could make a play on a pass that awful.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:04 PM, animaltested said:

Ford, Neal and Mone are the three "must resign". 

I think Seattle resigns Mayowa, Bellore, and Geno Smith

Wouldnt be surprised to see Ogbuehi and Simmons back either. 

Everyone, I think signs elsewhere. 

With limited cap space, and only 4 (maybe) picks, its going to be a chore replacing all those snaps. 

Don't you think they have to bring back Griffin?

13 minutes ago, showtime said:

Don't you think they have to bring back Griffin?

Griffin is a good player, but not unreplaceable. Seattle in a cap crunch might have more interest in spending money elsewhere. Going into 2021 with Reed and Flowers on the outside, isn't that bad. Flowers was playing much better prior to his injury. Guessing they fill out the depth chart through the draft and digging through the wavier recycling bin.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

Sounds like Seattle has anywhere from 2-4 million in cap space. Not ideal.

Diggs and Dunap account for 19.9 million in 2021 cap, NONE of it guaranteed. Cutting both of them would open a huge chuck of money to work with.

Jarran Reed has a 13.5 cap hit, but only 5.0 dead. Tyler Lockett is at 13.75 cap hit, but only 2.3 dead. Duane Brown is in the last year of his contract. 13 million vs only 2 million dead. Bobby Wager has 2 years left 29.5, only  11.2 guaranteed. Wondering if Seattle could restructure any of those contracts to free up some more space in 2021?

I think the biggest issue is these guys are arguable 6 of Seattles 10 best players. Wondering if they just roll as is, and attempt one more run with this group?

Whats lingering is Seattle financial situation in 2022. Currently only 87 million on the books. If the cap were to jump back up to expectations, Seattle could be looking at anywhere from 90-120 million in cap space. They have a ton of future flexibility. 

Edited by animaltested

43 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Sounds like Seattle has anywhere from 2-4 million in cap space. Not ideal.

Diggs and Dunap account for 19.9 million in 2021 cap, NONE of it guaranteed. Cutting both of them would open a huge chuck of money to work with.

Jarran Reed has a 13.5 cap hit, but only 5.0 dead. Tyler Lockett is at 13.75 cap hit, but only 2.3 dead. Duane Brown is in the last year of his contract. 13 million vs only 2 million dead. Bobby Wager has 2 years left 29.5, only  11.2 guaranteed. Wondering if Seattle could restructure any of those contracts to free up some more space in 2021?

I think the biggest issue is these guys are arguable 6 of Seattles 10 best players. Wondering if they just roll as is, and attempt one more run with this group?

Whats lingering is Seattle financial situation in 2022. Currently only 87 million on the books. If the cap were to jump back up to expectations, Seattle could be looking at anywhere from 90-120 million in cap space. They have a ton of future flexibility. 

That honestly sounds like the best option. With as down as some of us are, the Seahawks did still win the division and had a home playoff game.  That's honestly not a terrible season and the team really shouldn't be looking to blow things up.

The defense played much better in the second half of the season.  If the guys can carry that momentum on defense and continue to improve + the offense become much more consistent, I think there's a chance Seattle can make it out of the NFC. Hopefully they can hit on some draft picks and the young guys keep improving.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, IDk, here's what I think Seattle should do this off-season.

1. Extend Duane Brown and Tyler Lockett. 

Both are in the last year of their contracts, and both have limited guaranteed money in the their final year. Hopefully, Seattle can extend Brown 2 years, and Lockett 3 years. Might be able to shave a few million from their 2021 cap hits, and kick the bulk of guaranteed money into 2022-2023 (where Seattle has huge cap flexibility). I think in both cases, Seattle could defer/kick their bonuses (3M for Brown, Lockett 2.75M) into 2022 and beyond. The incentive for both of them would be financial stability and more guaranteed money. Brown would probably be more open to this, whereas Lockett might see 2022 and a potentially expanded cap as an opportunity to get a very lucrative 3rd contract.  

2. Trade or Cut Jarran Reed

Seattle can shave 8.0M by moving Reed. Obviously, trading him would be a better scenario. With a limited draft pool this year, a contending team might be open to moving a day 2 pick to bring in Reed. My thought process here is its highly likely Seattle extends Poona Ford; wouldnt surprise me to see him inked at anywhere from 10-15M AAV. So extending Reed isnt really an option if they will be paying Ford as a well. Bryan Mone and Cedric Lattimore are both capable of picking up more snaps, along with more snaps at UT for Green and Collier. Throw in a cheap vet and day 3 pick there, and you can get by.

3. Extend, Trade or Cut Carlos Dunlap

Dunlap has a 14M cap hit in 2021. None of it dead. That kind of flexibility in 2021 is very intriguing. Option 1 would be to extend. 4M of his 2021 is bonus, and you can kick that down road, shave a bit more cap room. The issue is, what his AAV gonna look in that extension. Is he going to settle for Fowler-Hunter $ (14-15) or want Flowers-Clark # (18-20). Option 2 would be to trade him. Impact player, and a premium position, no commitments beyond 2021. Could be an enticing option for some teams. For Seattle, you would need to resign Mayowa, but with Taylor and Robinson you could get by. Worst case is just cut him. 

Moving on from Dunlap and Reed would free up 22 Million. That being said, it would negatively impact the quality of the defensive line. I dont think people realize Seattle lead the league in sacks in the 2nd half of the season last year. Dunlap was a huge catalyst for that uptick in play. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, showtime said:

Okay so, every time I turn on my TV or listen to anything, Russell Wilson wanting out is one of the headlines. How realistic is it that Wilson leaves?

This season? Little to no chance. Russ's outgoing deadmoney and cap hit would effectively implode Seattle's 2021 roster. It would force Seattle to jettison D Brown, Dunlap, Reed, Lockett etc. The teams most likely to trade for Russ all have picks outside the top 10, so Seattle wouldnt have a crack at a top QB in 2021. And it makes zero sense to blow the team up when your 2022 1RP is controlled by the Jets. Even if you get a 2022 1RP in return, it will more than likely be in the mid to late 20s.

Overall,  doesn't make financial sense, doesn't make roster sense either. The media saw a drop of blood in the water, and swarmed. 

NOW, with the way the roster is built, and Russ's contract structured, the probability of moving him in 2022 or 2023 begins to rise.