Seattle Seahawks -- Off-Season Thread

showtime

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

This season? Little to no chance. Russ's outgoing deadmoney and cap hit would effectively implode Seattle's 2021 roster. It would force Seattle to jettison D Brown, Dunlap, Reed, Lockett etc. The teams most likely to trade for Russ all have picks outside the top 10, so Seattle wouldnt have a crack at a top QB in 2021. And it makes zero sense to blow the team up when your 2022 1RP is controlled by the Jets. Even if you get a 2022 1RP in return, it will more than likely be in the mid to late 20s.

Overall,  doesn't make financial sense, doesn't make roster sense either. The media saw a drop of blood in the water, and swarmed. 

NOW, with the way the roster is built, and Russ's contract structured, the probability of moving him in 2022 or 2023 begins to rise. 

It's more than just blood in the water. If he would have left it at the initial statement that he was tired of being hit and wanted more input, I would be fine with that. However, later after having plenty of time to think and calculate things, he actually gave a list of four teams that he would accept a trade to. That is alarming to me because he took it way past the line with that request, imo.

I'm not saying Wilson will be traded, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

25 minutes ago, showtime said:

It's more than just blood in the water. If he would have left it at the initial statement that he was tired of being hit and wanted more input, I would be fine with that. However, later after having plenty of time to think and calculate things, he actually gave a list of four teams that he would accept a trade to. That is alarming to me because he took it way past the line with that request, imo.

I'm not saying Wilson will be traded, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Eh, tbh, that comment was murky at best and Much Ado About Nothing. 

None of those teams have a realistic package that Seattle would be interested in. Even if the package included someone like Khalil Mack, Ramczyk or Lattimore, that means nuking the 2021 roster based on outgoing deadcap and incoming cap hits without control of your 2022 1RDP.

Seattle is built to make one big push in 2021, Russ isnt the type to hold out. So its in everyone best interest to improve the team in 2021 and run it back. 

Edited by animaltested

On 2/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, animaltested said:

Rumor mill sounds like Seattle could resign Dorsett and Dunbar. 

Considering the FA market, would make sense for both side. Both guys missed, essentially the entire season, so 1 year prove it deals in a familiar, established environment would make a lot of sense. 

What's the source here? 

Is it crazy to think we could get something done with Houston for Watson or Dallas for Dak? I imagine we'd be giving up more assets with Russ in a deal with the Texans and receiving more assets in a deal with the Cowboys, but I'm not nearly as adept with our salary situation to understand the cap ramifications. 

Vegas has removed the prop of Russell Wilson’s trade destination and the Bears Super Bowl odds have spiked over the last 24 hours. 

We’ve also seen a very cryptic tweet from Russ and the Seahawks sent messenging to prospective season ticket holders that didn’t include anything about Russ. 

It could all mean nothing. Or it could be smoke to a very large fire. 

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Vegas has removed the prop of Russell Wilson’s trade destination and the Bears Super Bowl odds have spiked over the last 24 hours. 

We’ve also seen a very cryptic tweet from Russ and the Seahawks sent messenging to prospective season ticket holders that didn’t include anything about Russ. 

It could all mean nothing. Or it could be smoke to a very large fire. 

Today is the day I changed my tune.

Russ could get traded this year. 

sad ben affleck GIF

3 hours ago, showtime said:

They let Griffin go for a price they should have matched. What's going on?

I don't know. I hate to say it, but my patience is wearing very thin with this regime. We've gotten really good at losing talent. 

I know I can be the forum pessimist, but I'm genuinely expecting a 4th place finish in the West next year. I don't see any chance of us upgrading on CB1, RB1, or DE considering how tight we are with our pocketbook. 

Anyways....here's who I'm still eyeing on the open market that makes sense for us: 

RB 
Leonard Fournette - Has the draft pedigree, size, hands, and pass pro to present a seamless transition from Carson. 
Jamaal Williams - 100% expect him to sign here if we miss out on Fournette. Big back, bruiser, very good hands, good in pass pro. Recipe for what Pete likes. 
HMs: James Conner, Wayne Gallman, Le'Veon Bell, Mike Davis, Mike Boone

TE
Gerald Everett - This would be my preference. Gives Russ a legit seam stretching threat in the middle of the field. 
Kyle Rudolph - More of my expectation as the type of boring veteran we bring in. Rudolph is adequate at everything and gives us a useful RZ option. 
HMs: Jared Cook, Anthony Firkser

C/G
C Rodney Hudson - Please? 
G Trai Turner - Please? 
G Lane Taylor 
C David Andrews
Not expecting us to add anyone useful here

DE 
Carlos Dunlap
- Would love to have him back. 
Jadeveon Clowney - I mean, I guess. 
Aldon Smith - Would actually be really excited by the prospects of this, which means it won't happen. 
HM: Justin Houston, Olivier Vernon

DT
Derek Wolfe - Yes please. 
Kawann Short 
Quinton Jefferson - Would love to have him back. 

CB
Xavier Rhodes - Quietly had a great bounce back year and is experienced in zone coverage. 
Richard Sherman - Feels like the bridge is burned but you never know. 
William Jackson III - The type of body type Pete looks for and he's still young, more of a man cover guy albeit. 
Patrick Peterson
HMs: Quinton Dunbar, Gareon Conley, Kevin King

• Like 1

Seahawks sign former 49ers CB Ahkello Witherspoon

6’3” 

2017 3rd rounder out of Colorado 

Started the last 3 games of 2020 for SF and posted the leagues 2nd highest coverage grade (90.8) with a passer rating of 56.7. 

Sounds like his biggest issues are bringing that every game and staying healthy, but can’t deny the potential. Considering what Pete can do with DBs, I love the fit. Kinda bummed it’s only 1 year. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

12 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Seahawks sign former 49ers CB Ahkello Witherspoon

6’3” 

2017 3rd rounder out of Colorado 

Started the last 3 games of 2020 for SF and posted the leagues 2nd highest coverage grade (90.8) with a passer rating of 56.7. 

Sounds like his biggest issues are bringing that every game and staying healthy, but can’t deny the potential. Considering what Pete can do with DBs, I love the fit. Kinda bummed it’s only 1 year. 

If you have coaches film, watch the last three games against the Cowboys/Cardinals/Seahawks. When on his game, he really is a top level cover corner in the league. Better in man coverage, especially lined up at the LOS than off coverage or zone. He's had confidence and consistency issues but he could be better than what Griffin was. 

I don't think he was going to take a multi-year deal since he didn't have much leverage after only starting four games last season so he wants to ball out and then cash out next year. 

Really nice pick up. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If you have coaches film, watch the last three games against the Cowboys/Cardinals/Seahawks. When on his game, he really is a top level cover corner in the league. Better in man coverage, especially lined up at the LOS than off coverage or zone. He's had confidence and consistency issues but he could be better than what Griffin was. 

I don't think he was going to take a multi-year deal since he didn't have much leverage after only starting four games last season so he wants to ball out and then cash out next year. 

Really nice pick up. 

Refreshing to hear more of a positive slant on this from a 9er fan. But maybe that's what I get for reading through Twitter haha. 

On that note, Witherspoon actually did post a better coverage grade and lower passer rating against than Shaq Griffin last year, albeit obviously with a much smaller sample size. As I'm sure you know @J-ALL-DAY, we're a Cover 3 zone team, but we ask our outside corners to run a lot of press-man through the first 10-15 yards, so sounds like it could be a good fit. 

11 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Refreshing to hear more of a positive slant on this from a 9er fan. But maybe that's what I get for reading through Twitter haha. 

On that note, Witherspoon actually did post a better coverage grade and lower passer rating against than Shaq Griffin last year, albeit obviously with a much smaller sample size. As I'm sure you know @J-ALL-DAY, we're a Cover 3 zone team, but we ask our outside corners to run a lot of press-man through the first 10-15 yards, so sounds like it could be a good fit. 

Niners twitter has hated him for his inconsistent play since like year two. He deserves some criticism for sure, but he's put good film every single year in the league. Even when he played great and allowed one catch they would kill him. 

One flaw of his in the past was not being able to track the ball. Did much better last season but his movement skills for his size are top notch. Where he struggles is when he is playing off man coverage and he gets too high and has to change directions. Not fluid there so crossers killed him. That's why I think it is better if he just plays closer to the LOS the entire time.

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Niners twitter has hated him for his inconsistent play since like year two. He deserves some criticism for sure, but he's put good film every single year in the league. Even when he played great and allowed one catch they would kill him. 

One flaw of his in the past was not being able to track the ball. Did much better last season but his movement skills for his size are top notch. Where he struggles is when he is playing off man coverage and he gets too high and has to change directions. Not fluid there so crossers killed him. That's why I think it is better if he just plays closer to the LOS the entire time.

Sounds like something zone coverage would help mitigate as well; he won't need to be chasing those plays down. 

To be honest his strengths/weaknesses sound very similar to Shaq Griffin's for a fraction of the cost. I think the biggest difference is availability. Shaq was rarely injured, whereas it sounds like Witherspoon is oft-injured.