Seattle Seahawks -- Off-Season Thread

showtime

I really loved Penny in college, and thought he would do great. I really hope he can turn his career around (even if else where).  The man has all the tools, just his body hasn’t been very reliable. 

im actually excited for the cornerback competition, it should be exciting. The DB competition in general really. 

I can only see us bringing KJ back if we plan on moving on from Wagner next season. I think his cap hit will be around 19 million, and dead money hit would be around 3 million (I could be mistaken). I do think Kj’s excellence and ability to play everywhere hinders our other players behind his a little. 

Edited by SHONUFF
Add on

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 1:08 PM, animaltested said:

Why reports say Seahawks will decline Rashaad Penny’s 5th year option - Field Gulls

I hope Seattle learns to never draft a RB in the first again. What a complete waste.

Ya it's unfortunate. I'm not completely on the "no 1st round RB" train, but it better be an elite prospect. Najee Harris was worthy of a 1st rounder in my opinion. Penny was grossly overhyped coming out of SDSU. I get it, great size and great speed, a salivating combo. But his broken tackle rate was a mirage when you actually watched the tape and I feel that's bled over to his play even when he's healthy. 

I still think he could be primed for a big year as a compliment to Carson. Makes all the sense in the world to decline that 5th year option considering how expensive it is, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in Seattle next year. 

47 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Ya it's unfortunate. I'm not completely on the "no 1st round RB" train, but it better be an elite prospect. Najee Harris was worthy of a 1st rounder in my opinion. Penny was grossly overhyped coming out of SDSU. I get it, great size and great speed, a salivating combo. But his broken tackle rate was a mirage when you actually watched the tape and I feel that's bled over to his play even when he's healthy. 

I still think he could be primed for a big year as a compliment to Carson. Makes all the sense in the world to decline that 5th year option considering how expensive it is, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in Seattle next year. 

At least currently the sweet spot of RBs seems to be 2nd-3rd. Yes, you lose a year of control, but honestly, that 5th year is a tough pill to swallow, even on a good runningback. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, curious IDP fantasy football nut here. 

Which is more likely?

Legit starting role for Cody Barton or Ben Burr-Kirven? Any chance this season? 

I’ve read through this whole thread. Penny was definitely a classic Carroll/Schneider overdraft (Collier/James Carpenter/Jordyn Brooks IMO). Penny wasn’t a terrible pick but should have been a late 2nd-3rd, not a 1st.

Also I don’t know what it is they want at DE but in my opinion they’re just throwing 1st rounders away. Collier should have probably been a 3rd rounder and Darrell Taylor just looked slow in college to me. The pro-Taylor guys will say he was recovering. I’m just saying I struggled to find promising tape.
Now Hyder I like a lot. Have for a couple years. Very under-rated rusher. 

On 6/6/2021 at 9:59 PM, RTTRUTH said:

Which is more likely?

Legit starting role for Cody Barton or Ben Burr-Kirven? Any chance this season?

Definitely Barton just based off size and draft pedigree. Assuming we don't bring back KJ Wright, he's likely our starting WLB. BBK is more of a special teamer + utility LB. 

And ya you're not necessarily wrong about Collier and Taylor. Collier represented a big dip in DE talent in that draft class which I think necessitated they "reach" to get their guy. His length fits our profile to a tee. Similarly, Taylor represented a big dip in DE talent in his class. I, too, didn't love his tape at Tennessee, but he has a lot of the same strengths/weaknesses that Frank Clark had coming out of college (both late 2nd round picks) so I'd say we remain hopeful that Pete & co. can develop him. 

I'm excited to see how both guys progress this year. 

• Like 1

Im kinda excited to see Seattle's new front. Wondering if they stick with the BEAR alignment. 

Hyder - Ford - Collier in the interior with Dunlap/Mayowa/ Taylor lining up wide. 

Makes sense why they would feel fine sending Jarren Reed out. I think Mone can hold is own as Ford's spell on early downs. Im kinda digging Seattle's flexibility with guys. 

On 6/9/2021 at 10:30 AM, animaltested said:

Makes sense why they would feel fine sending Jarren Reed out. I think Mone can hold is own as Ford's spell on early downs. Im kinda digging Seattle's flexibility with guys

I feel the same way. Looking at our defensive depth chart, we have a lot of tweener players. Guys like Adams and Blair can move all over the field. Taylor & Robinson can move around as you mentioned. Even Collier, Hyde, and Rasheem Green have versatility along the LOS. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/tyler-lockett-seahawks-offense-very-different-under-shane-waldron?utm_source=reddit.com

“When I think of his offense I think we have more freedom to do a lot of stuff. I mean, it’s very different than the six years that I’ve been here,” Lockett told reporters.

Along with allowing more freedom for receivers and skill players, Lockett said Waldron has prioritized tempo, specifically employing a "faster huddle."

• 1 month later...

How do you guys feel about the Jamal Adams signing? Pretty much had to do it based on what they traded for him. He's a real difference maker... when healthy. Also, I'm hoping he becomes at least a bit better in coverage. It's crazy to me how bad he is in coverage.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, showtime said:

How do you guys feel about the Jamal Adams signing? Pretty much had to do it based on what they traded for him. He's a real difference maker... when healthy. Also, I'm hoping he becomes at least a bit better in coverage. It's crazy to me how bad he is in coverage.

Well, all you can do is hope he plays up to the contract. We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, showtime said:

According to most metrics, last year was an anomaly for him regarding his poor coverage scores. Between pass, run support, and rushing the passer, coverage will always be his third strength, but that doesn't make it a weakness. I would expect him to play closer to par this season. 

Overall I'm happy with the signing. Based off of historical precedent set by guys like Khalil Mack & Jalen Ramsey (comparable assets used to acquire them), I was expecting Jamal to command about $19m/year, so the $17.5m/year figure was a win in my book. 

That's not to say I love the trade. Time will tell if giving up all of those assets + a big contract for a sub-prime position is worth it (I'd bet not), but if Jamal is a wrecking ball at SS for the next half decade, it will be well worth it.