Jump to content

2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions


Karnage84
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Other than Goff, what is Boyle or Blough really costing us? 

Boyle (27) - $2.5M

Blough (26) - $850k

This is essentially the same cap hit between these two guys as Ty Williams. Sign Mariota to a 1 year, $5M deal with incentives and you have a lot of flexibility. I can't imagine the dead cap between Boyle or Blough would be very much if you decided to move on from either or both. 

If we draft a rookie I just think Boyle gels in the lock-room with the rookie/Goff vs having a room with Goff/Mariota/Rookie. Same goes if we miss out in the draft, Goff/Mariota/Boyle locker room just... in my head gets along better and has a better chance at succeeding vs throwing a rookie in the mix, especially one outside the first round.

 

Just how I feel. No real facts. Idk if Mariota is getting a real shot if he's brought in with a rookie, and maybe vice-versa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

If we draft a rookie I just think Boyle gels in the lock-room with the rookie/Goff vs having a room with Goff/Mariota/Rookie. Same goes if we miss out in the draft, Goff/Mariota/Boyle locker room just... in my head gets along better and has a better chance at succeeding vs throwing a rookie in the mix, especially one outside the first round.

 

Just how I feel. No real facts. Idk if Mariota is getting a real shot if he's brought in with a rookie, and maybe vice-versa. 

Blough - If released, he would save up to $850k. Not sure if he's PS eligible this year. 

Boyle - We don't have the contract details yet. Assuming he'll get say, $500k guaranteed, it's not a major give if you decide not to keep him. Not sure if he's PS eligible. 

Goff - According to OTC and Spotrac, we'd save $25M if we traded him. That doesn't seem to quite add up and I believe the dead cap would be around $15M from earlier articles. 

Rookie (7) - Justin Herbert's 2020 contract at #6 gives us somewhat of an idea of what the cap hit would be if we did draft a rookie. Herbert had a cap hit of $4.8M in 2020 and now a cap hit of $6M in 2021. 

Mariota - Brissett just signed a $5M fully guaranteed contract with the Dolphins. Assuming you have to go this route, you'd have to bring him in with a plan to at minimum be your backup. 

 

Goff/Boyle/Blough = $25 + $2.5 + $850k = $28.35M (15% of total cap)

Goff/Mariota/Boyle = $25 + $5 + $2.5 = $32.5M (17.5% of total cap)

Goff/Rookie at #7/Boyle = $25 + $5 + $2.5 = $32.5M (17.5% of total cap)

Mariota/Rookie at #7/Boyle/Goff dead cap = $5M + $5M + $2.5M + $15M = $27.5M (14.8%)

 

Lions 2021 QB Cap Hits

Stafford/Daniel/Blough = $33.0M/$5.3M/$850k = $39.35M (21.2%)

We're looking at overall savings of $7M - $12M depending on which direction that you go. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

 

I don't know if Boyle is enough of a signing to turn away MM. If the Lions have ANY interest in possibly trading Goff (he does become more valuable if Russell Wilson is really not going to be traded and Deshaun is likely not tradeable with the accusations), Mariota is someone you could put in as a starting option. 

If he shows out, you might have a reclamation project and if he doesn't you'll be in a good position to draft the next guy. 

We can what if it to death. Certainly MM is interesting in the right scenario but currently I do not hear of the Lions attempting to trade Goff. I also think everyone is sleeping on Boyle. He’s not without upside of his own. 

Do you think signing Boyle then releasing him shortly after is a message the team wants to send?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

We can what if it to death. Certainly MM is interesting in the right scenario but currently I do not hear of the Lions attempting to trade Goff. I also think everyone is sleeping on Boyle. He’s not without upside of his own. 

Do you think signing Boyle then releasing him shortly after is a message the team wants to send?

right boyle and goff the 1/2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

right boyle and goff the 1/2

Well Boyle certainly won’t be ahead of Goff. I don’t think we have reason to question what they’re doing so far. 

I don’t think Goff will be traded at this point. The draft has possibilities if they want to try to move up. Beyond that I don’t see much happening in the QB room unless they draft a QB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I would like to know what KG is thinking right now.

What I had heard on the Locked on Lions podcast was that KG and his agent think he's going to get a 5 year/$20M apy deal. 

I've been out and just saw the Juju news. I have to imagine that this puts some pressure on (KG) to make a deal of some sorts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I would like to know what KG is thinking right now.

It can go two ways. 

1. He takes a 1 yr and re-enters free agency next season, like all these other WRs and more. 

2. All the teams who've missed out on JuJu, plus a few others (Bears, Giants, Chiefs, Ravens) fight over Golladay and he gets his huge payday.

Will be interesting to watch play out. I do know the Lions were right not to give him the money he wanted. The market dictated that. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they're wise they'll settle on a 1 year deal with a good team. An sign a big(ger) deal next offseason when all the money comes up with the new TV stuff, and Golladay's got a season's body of work after injury. 

Who knows the numbers he could put in KC for a year... 

Edited by SimbaWho
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

It can go two ways. 

1. He takes a 1 yr and re-enters free agency next season, like all these other WRs and more. 

2. All the teams who've missed out on JuJu, plus a few others (Bears, Giants, Chiefs, Ravens) fight over Golladay and he gets his huge payday.

Will be interesting to watch play out. I do know the Lions were right not to give him the money he wanted. The market dictated that. 

I bet he wishes he would’ve signed with the Lions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...