2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

K'Waun Williams might visit Lions

According to a report from Manish Mehta, the Detroit Lions are among the teams that have expressed interest in CB K’Waun Williams.

As noted, Williams is more of a second-tier slot cornerback who will likely get a contract that does not exceed an APY of $5 million.

We need CB depth and someone to push the young guys. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Alex Anzalone signed to a 1 year $1.75M deal. 

60.9 PFF Grade

52.6 Run Defense

49.0 Pass Rush

69.1 Coverage

100.00 Hair

428 Snaps - Box (either as ILB or LB)

71 Snaps - DL

I like it. Mocked in almost every offseason tht looked right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Alex Anzalone signed to a 1 year $1.75M deal. 

60.9 PFF Grade

52.6 Run Defense

49.0 Pass Rush

69.1 Coverage

100.00 Hair

428 Snaps - Box (either as ILB or LB)

71 Snaps - DL

I really like it. The Lions needed another body who could compete at LB. Anzalone is a very good athlete, but he's injury prone. He won't be a stud, but if he stays healthy, he might just provide solid play. 

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I really like it. The Lions needed another body who could compete at LB. Anzalone is a very good athlete, but he's injury prone. He won't be a stud, but if he stays healthy, he might just provide solid play. 

The article that I saw said that he's played 16 games 2/3 years. Not sure how many games he missed that one year. It's a good step in the right direction. 

For some reason I kept thinking JD was still a Lion. I also thought of Anzalone as more of an OLB so it's interesting that he predominately played in the middle. We needed help in the biggest of ways in coverage at the LB spot. It's a super cheap deal. Good signing overall. 

11 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

K'Waun Williams re-signed with the Niners. Damontae Kazee left Dallas without a contract and is heading to Detroit for a meeting. 

Shoot we need a FS baddddd lol. Not bad for a mid starter/backup. Id be ok with drafting Sterns from Texas. This class is loaded...Grant, Holland, Ford (Trash pro day), Moehrig, Washington, Molden, Cisco, Hufanga , Lecounte annd MORE

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Seahawks are trying to trade DT Jarran Reed. If they can't trade him, they're going to cut him. I'll just say that he'd fit quite well next to Michael Brockers.

Coming in here to say the same thing.  I’d be all for getting him.  Even if we swing a trade similar to brockers and extend him.

• Like 1

To be honest, I am not sure we should sign another starting DT.  I think we need to give John Penisini, D'Shawn Hand, Kevin Strong and John Atkins a shot under the new coaching staff.  Most players make a significant jump from year1 to year 2.  If Penisini makes that jump, he will lock down another starting DT slot at a much lower price.  

The Lions still need a lot of work on their LBs.  I think they should sign Eric Wilson even if they draft Micah Parsons or a LB in the 2d round like Jabril Cox.  He has improved for three straight years and is only 26.  Seems like a better use of our available cap space.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/3/23/22346152/detroit-lions-nick-williams-reportedly-takes-pay-cut

So, idk Nick Williams doesn't seem to be forgotten by the staff. Not sayin no to Reed or the idea but we've got Penisini/Brockers starting(assuming) with Williams in the fold to rotate between the two, with a spot for all those guys mentioned above and maybe a draft pick.

Edited by SimbaWho

32 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

To be honest, I am not sure we should sign another starting DT.  I think we need to give John Penisini, D'Shawn Hand, Kevin Strong and John Atkins a shot under the new coaching staff.  Most players make a significant jump from year1 to year 2.  If Penisini makes that jump, he will lock down another starting DT slot at a much lower price.  

The Lions still need a lot of work on their LBs.  I think they should sign Eric Wilson even if they draft Micah Parsons or a LB in the 2d round like Jabril Cox.  He has improved for three straight years and is only 26.  Seems like a better use of our available cap space.

What have those guys done to deserve that?  Penisini is a 6th round pick that was forced to play more than he should have been.  He had a horrible PFF grade (41.1) and has zero pass rush ability.  Hand can't stay healthy and is due a new contract soon. Atkins and Strong could barely make the active roster last year.  None of these guys are high potential big jump in the second year type guys.  Maybe one develops but if they do, great then we have three DTs we can rotate. DT is still one of our biggest weaknesses IMO and that list of guys should have no impact on adding another player at the position. 

Now I am not saying Reed is the answer, but we need more there than what we have because that group is doo doo. 

• Like 1