Jump to content

2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions


Karnage84
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

robin williams dancing GIF by STARZHolmes and Campbell cleaning up the roster.... 

So far they keep making great decisions. That’s not to downplay the contributions of Lions free agents. I just don’t think Okwara or KG are worth tag money. Using the tag simply delays problems. If reports are true they couldn’t have signed KG unless they offered the moon.

Okwara, good player, not indispensable. Someone is always willing to overpay. I’m glad it’s not the Lions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Remember, though, that compensatory picks depend not only on who you lost in free agency, but who you added also.

We need to be braced for the possibility that the 2021 Lions consist of a great deal of young, cheap, no-name players with very inconsistent talent.

Which is why they sighed Tyrell Williams early (cut) and will most likely draft a WR. Keeping that 3 rd comp pick next year. 
 

In fact, I could see the Lions not signing any big free agent for various reasons (rebuild, lowered cap, possible comp picks this year (Golladay, Okwara?)) and sticking with a solid draft, and short 1 or 2 year deals to fill holes until the next two drafts. 
 

2022- 2 1st, 1 2nd, 2 3rds...

2023- 2 1sts, 1 2nd, ? 3rds... 

 

Finally rebuilding the right way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Offensive players not tagged and now in line to hit the free-agent market include:

RB Aaron Jones

RB Kenyan Drake

RB Chris Carson

WR Kenny Golladay

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster

WR Will Fuller

TE Hunter Henry

TE Jonnu Smith

OT Trent Williams

G Joe Thuney

C Corey Linsley

 

Defensive players not tagged and in line to hit the market include:
OLB Shaq Barrett
OLB Matt Judon
OLB Bud Dupree
OLB Leonard Floyd
OLB Lavonte David
OLB Haason Reddick
NT Dalvin Tomlinson
DE Carl Lawson
DE Yannick Ngakoue
CB William Jackson
CB Shaquill Griffin
S John Johnson
 
Add in Saints needing to cut their roster down by the start of the league year, and there will be quite a few big names available. 
 
 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have ONE guess on a FA signing for the Lions this season, who is your pick?

 

I'm thinking S John Johnson from the Rams is my target this offseason. 

 

CB- Jeff Okudah 22 YO

CB- Amani Oruwariye 25 YO

S- John Johnson 25 YO

S- Tracy Walker? 26 YO

 

And then build up the front 7 through the draft and cheap signings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I think they waited till the last minute to see if they got a call, but obviously they didn't.

 

It would seem highly unusual to get calls “before” you actually tag the player.  Teams that want to sign KG are not trying to entice the Lions to tag him so they can give compensation.  It’s not like the NBA sign and trade situation in order to make the dollars work.  You tag him and try to make a move.  I’m a fan of just about every move the franchise has made this offseason but they should have tagged him and played the game.  They don’t need cap space to sign irrelevant players in a rebuild year.  With all the cuts coming next offseason they will have a boat load of cap and draft capital.  KG was an asset that very well could have added to that draft capital with little to no down side.  Now he walks for nothing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

It would seem highly unusual to get calls “before” you actually tag the player.  Teams that want to sign KG are not trying to entice the Lions to tag him so they can give compensation.  It’s not like the NBA sign and trade situation in order to make the dollars work.  You tag him and try to make a move.  I’m a fan of just about every move the franchise has made this offseason but they should have tagged him and played the game.  They don’t need cap space to sign irrelevant players in a rebuild year.  With all the cuts coming next offseason they will have a boat load of cap and draft capital.  KG was an asset that very well could have added to that draft capital with little to no down side.  Now he walks for nothing 

Golladay turned down $18M per last season. He's looking for BIG money. Money he's just not worth to a rebuilding team. He's a good WR, but we are 2-3 years away from being in contention for anything and would be paying him $45-60 million over that time to waste his prime years. The Lions decided not to tag him not only for their benefit, but for Kenny's as well. He can sign on with a team of HIS choosing with playoff hopes. You don't tag a player to big money in hopes some team decides to take that contract off your hands afterward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Golladay turned down $18M per last season. He's looking for BIG money. Money he's just not worth to a rebuilding team. He's a good WR, but we are 2-3 years away from being in contention for anything and would be paying him $45-60 million over that time to waste his prime years. The Lions decided not to tag him not only for their benefit, but for Kenny's as well. He can sign on with a team of HIS choosing with playoff hopes. You don't tag a player to big money in hopes some team decides to take that contract off your hands afterward. 

Im sorry your post makes no sense to me maybe misunderstanding but what does tagging him have to do with how much he wants or paying him 45-60 million over the years?  No ones suggesting extending him or giving him what he wants ( if we’re going to talk good will/faith KG has not exactly earned that respect). The tag is one year for $16 mil , nothing more.  There’s no down side.  Worst case scenario there’s no trade partner and he pouts for the year again ( a rebuild year for us anyway) and further erodes his future value and we lose nothing other than the comp pick being pushed back a year.  I find it hard to believe he couldn’t be moved for at least a late 2nd at the deadline after the Lions have paid most of his salary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

Im sorry your post makes no sense to me maybe misunderstanding but what does tagging him have to do with how much he wants or paying him 45-60 million over the years?  No ones suggesting extending him or giving him what he wants ( if we’re going to talk good will/faith KG has not exactly earned that respect). The tag is one year for $16 mil , nothing more.  There’s no down side.  Worst case scenario there’s no trade partner and he pouts for the year again ( a rebuild year for us anyway) and further erodes his future value and we lose nothing other than the comp pick being pushed back a year.  I find it hard to believe he couldn’t be moved for at least a late 2nd at the deadline after the Lions have paid most of his salary.

You tag a player in hopes of working out a long term deal. Kenny and the Lions are not in line with that long term deal. What's the point in paying Kenny $16 million, in a rebuilding year, when the cap is decreased, and we have no intentions of paying him beyond this year? Tagging him does NOTHING for the Lion but prolong the inevitable departure and prolong getting a comp pick for his departure. There is no upside. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Which is why they sighed Tyrell Williams early (cut) and will most likely draft a WR. Keeping that 3 rd comp pick next year. 
 

In fact, I could see the Lions not signing any big free agent for various reasons (rebuild, lowered cap, possible comp picks this year (Golladay, Okwara?)) and sticking with a solid draft, and short 1 or 2 year deals to fill holes until the next two drafts. 
 

2022- 2 1st, 1 2nd, 2 3rds...

2023- 2 1sts, 1 2nd, ? 3rds... 

 

Finally rebuilding the right way. 

I think you’ve assessed it pretty accurately. They are going to accumulate draft capital and cap space. Once they have accumulated a good young group of players they will be more aggressive in trades (incoming players) and the free agency market.

I also think the receiver market in free agency and the draft might put some downward pressure on paydays. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

If you have ONE guess on a FA signing for the Lions this season, who is your pick?

 

I'm thinking S John Johnson from the Rams is my target this offseason. 

 

CB- Jeff Okudah 22 YO

CB- Amani Oruwariye 25 YO

S- John Johnson 25 YO

S- Tracy Walker? 26 YO

 

And then build up the front 7 through the draft and cheap signings. 

I think a surprise signing could be Yannick Ngakoue.  Wash was his DC when he was balling out in JAX.  We get the Edge player we need and he’s only 25.

I also think another surprise player is Mike Williams.  There’s talk the Chargers are trying to trade him.  If we trade say a 3 or 4 next year for him I don’t believe that will affect our comp picks.  Also gets us a big body WR.  There are so many small fast WRs in the draft I think it would be a good idea to consider depending on the asking price.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

You tag a player in hopes of working out a long term deal. Kenny and the Lions are not in line with that long term deal. What's the point in paying Kenny $16 million, in a rebuilding year, when the cap is decreased, and we have no intentions of paying him beyond this year? Tagging him does NOTHING for the Lion but prolong the inevitable departure and prolong getting a comp pick for his departure. There is no upside. 

That’s not why you tag a player. The upside is you still control the asset and can trade for return on investment.  The cap hit this year is irrelevant.  You’d rather let him walk and get a comp pick somewhere in the low 100’s in return rather than try to trade him for a likely top 64 pick?  Even if you flipped him for a 3rd it’s still better than the tweener round comp pick.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...