2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

Would you guys want a guy like Jonnu Smith??? We need a 2nd TE. hes sollllid. Idk about his blocking. but would make sure we dont draft Pitts at least for pass catching TE. Pitts will be a beast. But we dont want to be like the Jets and Jamal Adams. 

3 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

Would you guys want a guy like Jonnu Smith??? We need a 2nd TE. hes sollllid. Idk about his blocking. but would make sure we dont draft Pitts at least for pass catching TE. Pitts will be a beast. But we dont want to be like the Jets and Jamal Adams. 

I think smith is going get to much on the open market. Jonnu may go to atl(o coord) or a random team I’d rather sign a te cheap or let Jesse James(don’t know his contract #) or a rookie play instead.

48 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Any chance we take a flyer on jon Ross? He could bring in the speed eliminate to the O. I know he’s been hurt but like t Williams a 1 year prove it deal

ehh. maybe on a lowwwww low deal. but we could get just a speed guy as a udfa realistically. Rather a forsure pass catcher at that spot tbh

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Emmanuel Sanders was just released by the Saints. I can see him being a guy the Lions would like to bring in for $8M - $10M/year. It's hard to believe but he's almost 34 so you're not looking at anything more than a 1 to 2 year deal. 

8-10 a year?  He’s not getting anything close to that in this cap strapped economy. Don’t see to many teams looking at him as anything more than a 3/4 at this point in his career.

Im finding it impossible to have any enthusiasm about anything regarding the Lions in free agency.  Probably because I don’t actually want them to sign anyone.  I am pretty giddy about the overall direction of the franchise but anything short of them drafting the qb this year ( not saying they should or shouldn’t) is going to make for a painfully boring year.

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

8-10 a year?  He’s not getting anything close to that in this cap strapped economy. Don’t see to many teams looking at him as anything more than a 3/4 at this point in his career.

Im finding it impossible to have any enthusiasm about anything regarding the Lions in free agency.  Probably because I don’t actually want them to sign anyone.  I am pretty giddy about the overall direction of the franchise but anything short of them drafting the qb this year ( not saying they should or shouldn’t) is going to make for a painfully boring year.

You could be right but he was making $12M last year with the Saints, 74.6 PFF grade, 61 receptions, 726 yards and 5 TD's. Played in 14 games. That's a solid #2 WR in the league and a really high #3. If we were to draft Chase at #7 and sign Sanders, 

Golloday - $2.3M ($16M+ in 2021)

Jones - $9.1M 

Amendola - $4.96M

Total = $16.36M total ($30.06M +/- in 2021)

Chase - $4.3M +/-

Sanders - $8M

T. Williams - $6M

Total = $18.3M

It's not a bad combo at a reasonable cost. You could sign Curtis Samuel for $8-$10M. We'd have four decent guys for even less money than if we brought back our top 3 for the same cap hit as in 2020 (with KG under a new contract). 

I like Demarcus Robinson as a guy who will be relatively cheap and has the chance to expand his role like Marvin did when he first came here.  

If we bring in a vet, I would look at TY Hilton or Sammy Watkins in the 9-11 range to go with Robinson.  Then draft one or two and have a solid younger core with upside. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I like Demarcus Robinson as a guy who will be relatively cheap and has the chance to expand his role like Marvin did when he first came here.  

If we bring in a vet, I would look at TY Hilton or Sammy Watkins in the 9-11 range to go with Robinson.  Then draft one or two and have a solid younger core with upside. 

no way i want sammy or ty...id rather rookies at that point 

17 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

no way i want sammy or ty...id rather rookies at that point 

I want rookies, but to depend on 3 rookies or unproven guys would be foolish.  Watkins is still only 28 and has experience winning.  TY is the same age as Marvin and likely cheaper but with a higher ceiling. You need vets to help the young guys develop, and none of these guys would be so expensive that you feel you have to play them if a rookie outperforms them.  A group of Watkins, Robinson, and say Eskridge/Amari Rodgers would be a solid group with upside from 2 of the 3 and dependable production from the other.  

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I want rookies, but to depend on 3 rookies or unproven guys would be foolish.  Watkins is still only 28 and has experience winning.  TY is the same age as Marvin and likely cheaper but with a higher ceiling. You need vets to help the young guys develop, and none of these guys would be so expensive that you feel you have to play them if a rookie outperforms them.  A group of Watkins, Robinson, and say Eskridge/Amari Rodgers would be a solid group with upside from 2 of the 3 and dependable production from the other.  

Agree in principle , regardless of immediate on the field results veteran leadership can be immeasurable in teaching young guys how to be pro’s.  This coach staff is pretty unique with so many highly respected former players.  I’m sure the FO will value having some vets to help the young guys but with this staff it may not be so necessary.  

On 3/10/2021 at 4:01 PM, Karnage84 said:

Emmanuel Sanders was just released by the Saints. I can see him being a guy the Lions would like to bring in for $8M - $10M/year. It's hard to believe but he's almost 34 so you're not looking at anything more than a 1 to 2 year deal. 

I'm with Karnage. I think Emmanuel Sanders is a strong option. I expect he'll be cheaper than that price. I think we could land him on a 1 year deal worth $6 million or $7 million. He's still a good WR, and he's reportedly a great locker room presence.

• Like 1