Our new defensive scheme under Robert Saleh

jetjuice

On 1/23/2021 at 12:06 PM, Rockice_8 said:

Listen I get it the LB aren't great but that is down my list of priorities.  I think CB and pass rusher should be higher.  We have a ton a cap so I'm not opposed to grabbing a guy on a prove it deal I just don't think spending a valuable pick on an ILB is ideal.  We just went down that road with Mac.

I think look to add some speed just in rounds 4 and beyond.  We likely will as you said grab a guy in FA too on a valuable contract.

Can't fix every hole on one year.

I think otherwise based off the way Saleh's defensive scheme works. Like it or not that's what should be expected, it's an important position in his D.

A guy like Alex Anzalone would be a strong fit and there's no way the Saints are bringing him back. 

32 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I think otherwise based off the way Saleh's defensive scheme works. Like it or not that's what should be expected, it's an important position in his D.

A guy like Alex Anzalone would be a strong fit and there's no way the Saints are bringing him back. 

I'm all for adding an ILB.  We have a ton of cap and they are typically pretty cheap but I wouldn't spend big on one or use a high pick on one.  If we do because of his scheme I'm fine with that but I personally would go with a vet and a mid rounder.  I'll trust Saleh knows what he needs to run the D so it'll be interesting what we do with all this draft capital and cap space.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:48 PM, Rockice_8 said:

I'm all for adding an ILB.  We have a ton of cap and they are typically pretty cheap but I wouldn't spend big on one or use a high pick on one.  If we do because of his scheme I'm fine with that but I personally would go with a vet and a mid rounder.  I'll trust Saleh knows what he needs to run the D so it'll be interesting what we do with all this draft capital and cap space.

If the right guy is there then you take him. BPA + scheme fit is what team's should strive for, and I keep coming back to Zaven Collins who can not only play off-ball but can seriously get after the passer too. The pass rushing talent is what pushes this over the edge for me, it's almost like you're filling two positions at once. Normally I'm not a fan of LB's early but I do like drafting pass rushers in bunches, and he is one.

Edited by jetjuice

• 2 weeks later...

If Saleh has no voice in the draft room and personal decisions as it pertains to building up a defense which has over performed but has a pretty solid foundation in Fotukasi and Q, along with Mayes and rookie Bryce Hall.

Then don't be surprised to see the Jets follow the same pattern of failure going forward. The Jets desperately need offensive players, no doubt.

But a blue chip WR fa could remedy much of those offensive woes. So for arguments sake, the Jets take a QB with the 1st pick number 2. I have always believed that you draft impact players in the first round.

It doesn't matter if it is a QB, WR, RB, OL, you draft the impact player. This year its Smith, Pitts, Harris, along with QB's who you may believe to be impact altering franchise picks.

Which leads me to ask with pick number 23 do the Jets pick a CB? Clearly a need, or do we draft an impact player on defense like Zaven Colins who has catapulted himself into the lower half of the first round?

My choice would be Colins who does so many things good and impact the Jets OLB position, especially if Saleh believes this guy is special, which I believe he is. The second round quality CB's/S will be available.

Will Saleh have a say in FA defensive players, especially at ER? A FA type like Shaq Barrett? Would the Jets fork over the cash for this guy? A need the Jets haven't been able to fill in over a decade. A position of need that fans have been clamoring over that same period of time?

Saleh must have a say when it comes to drafting impact players, especially on defense.

I would consider this off season a success if the Jets sign a blue chip WR to help an anemic offense, add to a defensive core with a quality ER and add a difference maker OLB, throw in C.J. Mosley and you have a very formidable front line of players.

Saleh must be given a chance to not only coach the Jets, but build up the defense and have a say in drafting defensive players.

32 minutes ago, Big T said:

Saleh must have a say when it comes to drafting impact players, especially on defense

I am pretty sure JD will listen to his coaches. Didn’t he say that?  That is one of the reasons why we were happy with Chrissy allowing JD to pick his HC. You can expect a close working relationship between the coaching staff and FO.