Does Zach Ertz FINALLY Break Out? UPDATE: YES

Phire

Phire is trying hard to drum up conversation. All in all I think what we've seen is what we got. Someone who plays sometimes at a high level, at other times can be a bit lackluster. To be fair though, he was injured most of the time Lane was actually playing last season. If they can both be around for the duration of the season along with other targets for Carson to throw to now, I think he can be a bit more consistent.

Zach Ertz consistently has been one of the most frustrating players on this team...because we see it, we see how good he is in stretches. But I'm getting fatigued thinking every year will be the year he finally becomes a top tier TE and produces 16 games (and into the playoffs hopefully)

The graphic is pretty spot on though haha

If there was ever a year, this is the one. And if it doesn't happen, he's kind of out of excuses and what we've seen from him is probably what we'll get. 

There are really good WRs. Really good OL. Carson should be pretty good. There's a power RB in Blount.

Ertz should be able to find some room.

12 hours ago, Phire said:

I agree, if it doesn't happen this year, then he is what he is. 

I don't think we really need to wait another year do we? At this point i'm resigned to a 70ish catches, 800ish yards, 3-4 TDs. He's already past his rookie deal and now in a contract where he's getting overpaid for his production. If he "finally breaks out" then good, he'll be worth what he's getting paid, If not he'll probably be off the team in a couple seasons because of his contract.

15 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I don't think we really need to wait another year do we? At this point i'm resigned to a 70ish catches, 800ish yards, 3-4 TDs. He's already past his rookie deal and now in a contract where he's getting overpaid for his production. If he "finally breaks out" then good, he'll be worth what he's getting paid, If not he'll probably be off the team in a couple seasons because of his contract.

Honestly if he ends up with those stats, I'd be happy, but I'd also love the Eagles to draft an early TE so we can get more. The most concerning thing about Ertz is how easily he goes down on contact. A few times we caught him hitting the deck before anyone touched him. That's inexcusable for such a big guy. I don't know if that gets fixed.

14 hours ago, Phire said:

Honestly if he ends up with those stats, I'd be happy, but I'd also love the Eagles to draft an early TE so we can get more. The most concerning thing about Ertz is how easily he goes down on contact. A few times we caught him hitting the deck before anyone touched him. That's inexcusable for such a big guy. I don't know if that gets fixed.

This. He pretty weak at the point of contact. There is nothing enforcer about him. He gets easily taken down by any size corner, at least with Brent if you put a smaller to average size corner on him one on one in a tackling situation , at the point of contact Celek will win that match up, Ertz not so much. 

Celek has been my favorite Eagle for years. He's a goofy dude but relatively chill (unlike Gronk for example), He'll fight for those extra yards, shed tackles, even sometimes hurdle a dude. I can't remember once where Ertz got yards after first contact or successfully evaded a tackler.

#YACErtz

Celek's mentality is pretty much what you want out of a TE (or any player). I remember when we drafted him we made fun of him mercilessly and put him in the Waffle House squad haha @Bednarik60. Didn't expect him to amount to much, but we were thankfully wrong.

Now if only Ertz can pick up some of that.

Seems like he always starts the year off injured or gimpy coming off TC. That too has played a factor in his slow starts. His overall stats are not the problem. I'll take them happily it's the fact 80% of it seems to occur after week 8.

He needs to be more consistent. More available game in game out. Hopefully he stays healthy because like Matthews he's Carson's safety blanket. Should be fun to watch given all the weapons this season.

5 hours ago, Phire said:

Celek's mentality is pretty much what you want out of a TE (or any player). I remember when we drafted him we made fun of him mercilessly and put him in the Waffle House squad haha @Bednarik60. Didn't expect him to amount to much, but we were thankfully wrong.

Now if only Ertz can pick up some of that.

Its so weird to look back on and think hes the only one out of all those drafts that some how stuck around. 

Archived