Does Zach Ertz FINALLY Break Out? UPDATE: YES

Phire

On 7/21/2017 at 11:01 AM, Phire said:

Honestly if he ends up with those stats, I'd be happy, but I'd also love the Eagles to draft an early TE so we can get more. The most concerning thing about Ertz is how easily he goes down on contact. A few times we caught him hitting the deck before anyone touched him. That's inexcusable for such a big guy. I don't know if that gets fixed.

In fairness, that aren't many guys in the NFL that DO get more. Kelce, Gronk, Reed, Walker, Olsen, Graham, and that's about it. A reliable 75 catch, 800 yard kind of guy is better than what 2/3 of the NFL has at that position.

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

In fairness, that aren't many guys in the NFL that DO get more. Kelce, Gronk, Reed, Walker, Olsen, Graham, and that's about it. A reliable 75 catch, 800 yard kind of guy is better than what 2/3 of the NFL has at that position.

I agree, and yet there's so much potential that Ertz hasn't tapped into. If he didn't go down so easy, he'd help us move the chains so much more. He should be an absolute monster in this offense and I hope this is the year he can show that. Staying healthy is step 1, however.

18 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

He wont do anything for the first half the of the season. Play really well the second half(well have a lot of catches at least) and then we will have this same discussion next year on this day. because that's what zech ertz does. 

Can't say he isn't consistent ?

On 7/22/2017 at 2:14 PM, ninjapirate said:

He wont do anything for the first half the of the season. Play really well the second half(well have a lot of catches at least) and then we will have this same discussion next year on this day. because that's what zech ertz does. 

LOL a lot of truth in this post. 

Assuming him and Wentz stay healthy this will be his best statistical season easily.

If that qualifies as a breakout, then sure.

I don't think he will suddenly be a YAC threat or anything though. 

He's got really good hands, runs good routes, solid run blocker, and a suspect pass blocker.

Could be a top 10 TE for a while which is fine by me.

We need Celek mentality in the Ertz body and athleticism. It's that simple. Ertz for some reason holds back for 12 games and then actually puts his body on the line and makes plays and plays physical. It's odd and at this point a trend which makes me think it's mental. So, he's salvageable if he incorporates that late season mindset all year long. But you are who you are. So, I'd be definitely moving on and drafting a TE high next year if he plays as he has in the past. Tons of talent but just scared to death most games. It's like every year he puts up with all this criticism until he explodes and goes super sayan. 

Ertz is from Orange County , California.  No wonder hes so soft, like that makes a lot of sense.  Give me tight end from East Orange not Orange County please. 

Orange County and places like that, cant produce tough guys, its just impossible. 

774a370ed6c77f281e6fc480c1163fe9.jpg

84000-a-year-now-qualifies-as-low-income

Yeah, I think what you see is what you get with Ertz after the catch, I highly doubt that changes.  But if he's able to get open and catch the ball reliably (something this team severely lacks in both depts) I'll live with the lack of YAC.  Antonio Gates was never a huge YAC guy, but he had a decent career.  

2 hours ago, BLick12 said:

Yeah, I think what you see is what you get with Ertz after the catch, I highly doubt that changes.  But if he's able to get open and catch the ball reliably (something this team severely lacks in both depts) I'll live with the lack of YAC.  Antonio Gates was never a huge YAC guy, but he had a decent career.  

Yeah at this point... probably not gonna get better YAC. More consistency as a receiver though would please me.

10 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

Gates tho had a knack for big catches down field and a nose for scoring.  Yards don't matter as match as scoring. Ertz for such a big guy isn't a redzone threat or a great jump ball guy or anything like Gates 

I agree - but some of that I think might also just be usage in the red zone.  It's possible he's just not a reliable threat there, but he seems to be pretty good at tracking and catching 50/50 balls, at least more so than others on this team have shown.  I'm hopeful that finally having the same QB for 2 seasons in a row should help from a chemistry stand point as well, but these are familiar feelings. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I've never much paid attention to him on this front, but how is his blocking?

Improved. He's not on Celek's level yet but he's a far cry from the Gronks and Jimmy Graham's of the world that don't know how to spell block.

Archived