Former Packers GM Ted Thompson passes away at age 68

deltarich87

David Bakhtiari -   My sincere condolences to the Thompson family. Ted was a great man and great GM for the Packers. I’ll always remember my draft day phone call. He asked me if “I’d have his back?” And I responded with saying “Not only his back, but Aaron Rodgers back too.”

• Like 4

PackersWire  -   The name of the man who helped bring a fourth Super Bowl title to Green Bay will be immortalized inside Lambeau Field. The Packers announced the team will honor former general manager Ted Thompson by installing his name on the Lambeau Field facade before next season.

• Like 1

One thing Ted did (which caused a fair bit of controversy) was to have a long-term strategy for the Packers that gave equal weight to both their current and future financial health. No Falcons-like boom bust cycles for this team. Although I (and a great many others) got frustrated at how seldom he brought quality free agents in,  he did always have a sound cap basis that kept the Packers competitive for a long, long time.

Time for an avatar change ? I'm going with the most classic of Ted pics.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Time for an avatar change ?

I feel like it would be disrespectful to take down my KG avatar until we finish this run.  I might need to put up ol' Tex when we get into the draft season.  Hope Gute can harness some of the early draft magic from his predecessor.  

Just now, Refugee said:

I feel like it would be disrespectful to take down my KG avatar until we finish this run.  I might need to put up ol' Tex when we get into the draft season.  Hope Gute can harness some of the early draft magic from his predecessor.  

Ok. I've changed mine but your view is equally valid.

• Like 1

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

Ok. I've changed mine but your view is equally valid.

No doubt, I didn't want to come off like I was knocking anyone who does it.  We have plenty of greats in this organization and unfortunately many who have left in this past year.  We'll need all of them as we stand on their shoulders to get to the ultimate goal.  Pay your respects as it best represents you.

TT was one of my all time favorites. I loved his dry sense of humor. I loved his hard work ethic and lack of ego. He loved being a scout. All the best to his family.

Combining the drafts he ran in Seattle and Green Bay, 35 of Thompson's selections have earned Pro Bowl, All-Pro or All-Rookie honors, and from 2005-17, he drafted 17 players who went on to be named to at least one Pro Bowl for Green Bay. He also acquired three other players who would make their first Pro Bowl appearance as Packers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

One thing Ted did (which caused a fair bit of controversy) was to have a long-term strategy for the Packers that gave equal weight to both their current and future financial health. No Falcons-like boom bust cycles for this team. Although I (and a great many others) got frustrated at how seldom he brought quality free agents in,  he did always have a sound cap basis that kept the Packers competitive for a long, long time.

His draft picks were largely one year ahead of when they were going to be needed.  He was less reactive and more proactive when trying to fill those holes.  And as much as he avoided FA for the most part, it was hard to argue with his logic given their success.

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy on Ted Thompson:

"You will hear from a lot of people who will tell you great things about Ted Thompson and what he meant to them and every word will be true. But when I think about Ted, who he was as a man, will always carry more weight than what ...he did professionally. There has never been a finer human being to walk the playing fields or have a presence in the scouting rooms."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Aaron Rodgers
Davante Adams
David Bakhtiari
Corey Linsley

Lucas Patrick
Aaron Jones
Jamaal Williams
Robert Tonyan
Kenny Clark
Kevin King
Mason Crosby
Dean Lowry

6 of the teams best players are Thompson picks.  Crosby is one of the most reliable kickers in the league still, and Tonyan is starting to emerge as one of the better TE's in the NFC.

There are countless other TT picks in the league still too. 

RIP White Wizard!