Former Packers GM Ted Thompson passes away at age 68

deltarich87

9 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't know how you can say "I'm wrong" when I literally only posted a report lol. You'd be saying the reporter was wrong according to your "Wikipedia" article.  The best part is the Wikipedia article source #44 you cited is literally the story I posted. 

Are you denying CW didn't want to come to GB?....He openly stated on television he wanted to go to a warm weather team and not to GB....Where are the contract numbers offered to CW by the Bucs?....I'd say it would appear the Bucs didn't pursue him....

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Are you denying CW didn't want to come to GB?....He openly stated on television he wanted to go to a warm weather team and not to GB....Where are the contract numbers offered to CW by the Bucs?....I'd say it would appear the Bucs didn't pursue him....

I think there was also the fact that Tampa Bay wanted him to play safety and he wanted to continue playing corner that factored into it.

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

No,  stop trying to redirect. All I did was post an article that contained contradictory reports to your claim.

16 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

Jesus I forgot, too many deaths recently. 

There is a NYT article on all of the Lombardi era Packers that have passed on this past year.  I don't want to darken anyone's tablets more than they already have been but the article puts it into perspective.  Enjoy everyday that you're here, at least a little bit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/22/sports/football/green-bay-packers-1965.html

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

What’s more puzzling was that only 2 teams were interested in a 29 year old Charles Woodson

Not puzzling at all. He wanted a ton of money and was labeled as injury-prone; not to mention that the Raiders had quickly descended into utter dysfunction. Ted wanted to take a chance on him thinking that a change of scenery would reboot his career and that he'd stay healthy; the gamble obviously paid off.

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Not puzzling at all. He wanted a ton of money and was labeled as injury-prone; not to mention that the Raiders had quickly descended into utter dysfunction. Ted wanted to take a chance on him thinking that a change of scenery would reboot his career and that he'd stay healthy; the gamble obviously paid off.

I’m aware of what the situation was. He still played a premium position and athletically talented off the charts with production to go with it

Personally, I find it a bit stunning to see from that billboard that Ted was only six years older than me. He carried himself with such quiet, patrician seriousness that he seemed more fatherly than older brotherly.

I was moved by Jason Wilde’s emotional first take on the radio. But I never hung with any knowledgeable fans that actually hated on Ted, as Wilde suggested. I heard grumbling, sure. I remember my son’s football team playing a Green Bay HS team in ‘09 and two parents were wearing a Favre Jets jersey. How do you go from being a lifelong Packers fan to a Favre fan? He retired. It wasn’t a lame excuse to say that the team had “moved on”. As with a lot of Ted things, his decisions were sound, based on a forward looking view of team stewardship, and made without a scintilla of concern for potential criticism.

Ted had some awesome FA moves over the years, and he made several valiant attempts to add players like Moss and Gonzalez that were thwarted by late bidders stealing deals that almost got done. Ted said that free agency always sounded good, but not every good player was a good fit—and I believed him. I remember Ted saying that he spent every day thinking about how to make the team better—and I believed him.

I liked the way he frustrated the local press, and it’s obvious he didn’t do it just to frustrate them. He thought it was impolite to talk about others, which is kind of hilarious given his line of work. I could easily have done all of his post draft interviews: “We think he’s a good football player.” “He fits with what we try to do here.” “I don’t want to talk about that young man since he was drafted by another team.” “I don’t really want to talk about what we might have done in another situation.” “Did we try to move down? We talk to a lot of teams about a lot of things.”

Mike McCarthy had it right. We lost a really fine human being when Ted died. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I liked the way he frustrated the local press, and it’s obvious he didn’t do it just to frustrate them. He thought it was impolite to talk about others

This is something that has become more clear to me the older I get. I've always personally disliked gossip, and I've come to realize that the people I dislike(d) tend to have a common character flaw where they participate in this activity. It was never an intentional act on my part; the people in my life just kinda sorted themselves that way all on their own.