Steelers sign QB Dwayne Haskins

RaidersAreOne

I'm pretty meh on it. He needed more structure than WFT gave him. He needed to grow up a lot faster than he did. Maybe him getting cut will wake him up, maybe not. He at least has potential, which Josh Dobbs has continually proven not to have. Anyone who says that Ben is going to pass on all his knowledge to Haskins, I wouldn't. Ben isn't a teacher. He never has been. Also, I'm not sure he's the dude you want guiding Haskins lol

I would have thought Winston would have been their target for this type of signing. Kinda weird to me to sign Haskins before you can even see what Winston wants/asks for.  I guess he's roughly 4 years younger than Winston, but raw talent and developmental upside I still think I'd gamble on Jameis over Haskins if the money is equal (and cheap).

5 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I would have thought Winston would have been their target for this type of signing. Kinda weird to me to sign Haskins before you can even see what Winston wants/asks for.  I guess he's roughly 4 years younger than Winston, but raw talent and developmental upside I still think I'd gamble on Jameis over Haskins if the money is equal (and cheap).

This signing doesn't keep them from going after Winston.

PIT has a pretty tight cap situation.   Ben's ridiculous cap hit means if he wants to return, PIT is stuck with him.

Haskins is dirt cheap.  His work ethic is highly questionable, and a good risk that he'll fail - but the Steelers don't even need to commit any guaranteed $.

Because of the above, it's really a no-lose prop.   Haskins clearly wasn't getting any real interest starter-wise - he has to rebuild his value.   So his best shot is to to go to a team that might put him in as a 2022 starter, or in-season with injury.   It totally fits. 

Re: Winston, with Rivers retiring, he won't go to IND, but the market for starting vet QB's just opened up enough, I don't think they will be in any rush to sign as a straight up backup until after the draft.   And that applies to all the vets - they'll sign with teams who offer them a starter spot, or an open competition.   Not a pure backup spot.  

Given the above, this makes all sorts of sense.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

This signing doesn't keep them from going after Winston.

I don't think having Haskins on the roster with Rudolph/Ben will be appealing at this point. When it's maybe retiring Ben and Rudolph it's kind of appealing. This point with Haskins joining Ben/Rudolph/(Dobbs?) I feel like any addition would be a rookie, because that's a crowded vet QB room. Even if Pittsburgh signed Haskins as just an evaluate and cut that's reps another vet isn't getting in a QB competition. I think this eliminates Jameis as a potential Steeler unless he gets next to zero interest elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I don't think having Haskins on the roster with Rudolph/Ben will be appealing at this point. When it's maybe retiring Ben and Rudolph it's kind of appealing. This point with Haskins joining Ben/Rudolph/(Dobbs?) I feel like any addition would be a rookie, because that's a crowded vet QB room. Even if Pittsburgh signed Haskins as just an evaluate and cut that's reps another vet isn't getting in a QB competition. I think this eliminates Jameis as a potential Steeler unless he gets next to zero interest elsewhere.

They could just waive/cut Haskins if Winston were to become a legitimate option.