Steelers sign QB Dwayne Haskins

RaidersAreOne

I like the kid and I really hope it works out for him. He’s not a bad person by any means he’s just very immature. When we had him paired with Kevin O’Connell to finish out his rookie season he really started to show his potential but I guess he just didn’t fit Turners offense at all because he was awful. I have no hatred for the guy and wished he had worked out for us but his immaturity just kept getting in the way. Like I said, I hope it works out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

That’s a huge stretch. They are bringing him to see if he can be the successor, so they won’t have to use a 1st Round Pick in 2022 on a QB, but I’m sure the Steelers FO knows Haskins has a much less than 50% chance of panning out. 

If Haskins doesn’t look good in relief for Ben in 2021, his career is completely over, and Steelers will draft a QB in 2022. 

I'm continuing to stand by the opinion that the Steelers are both unable and unwilling to support Ben's contract

Ben will not be a Steeler for the 2021 season. The only doubt is whether he retires or is cut

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

no trust me I get that - it's just funny that the Steelers, of all teams, are doing it. Like when the Ravens signed that one Alabama ILB who kept getting arrested.

Of all teams?

Would the signing be better if he went somewhere else?

Again, this is a no risk signing that will likely lead to, at most, him being a backup for a year.   If we draft someone early (doubtful), its unlikely he even makes the team.

45 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Why does Pittsburgh keep allowing distractions like this in their lockeroom?

He isnt a distraction.   If he becomes one, he will be gone.

Its not like this guy is pegged to be a key player.   They are giving a 24 year old QB an opportunity to be a backup.   If he blows it, he is likely out of the league for good.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Why does Pittsburgh keep allowing distractions like this in their lockeroom?

I dont think the steelers realize they have a culture problem. They think they are the same steelers from 5+ years ago and that their locker room is strong etc etc. It doesnt appear to be that way anymore

1 minute ago, 43M said:

He isnt a distraction.   If he becomes one, he will be gone.

Somehow, I doubt it. 

I dont think this is a baad signing, but it speaks to how dire the steelers QB situation is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Somehow, I doubt it. 

I dont think this is a baad signing, but it speaks to how dire the steelers QB situation is. 

Why would they keep him around if he is acting like an idiot?

However you feel about Ben, this is in no way a guy meant to compete for the starting job.

Once again, he is a temporary Josh Dobbs replacement.    Nothing more.   If he earns a spot, so be it....but he could just as easily be gone before next season starts.

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

I'm continuing to stand by the opinion that the Steelers are both unable and unwilling to support Ben's contract

Ben will not be a Steeler for the 2021 season. The only doubt is whether he retires or is cut

And you are completely wrong. The Steelers likely extend him to lower the cap hit. They aren't cutting him.

As for Haskins, I'd rather have Josh Dobbs back. I have no faith he's going to turn things around.