Pete Morelli Ref Crew vs Eagles

Chiefer

Just read this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/because-won-eagles-able-laugh-132559710.html

"Coming into Thursday, the Eagles were well aware of which officiating crew would be throwing flags in Charlotte, Jenkins said. They likely knew them as the same crew that hit them for 14 penalties and 111 yards in Detroit last season, while flagging the Lions just twice for 18 yards. 

In fact, the last four times Pete Morelli's crew has officiated an Eagles game it's been away from Lincoln Financial Field. The disparity in penalties is shocking. In those last four games, dating back to 2013, Morelli's crew has hit the Eagles with 40 penalties for 396 yards. Eagles opponents have been penalized eight times for 74 yards."

Why the disparity?

8 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's because the Eagles are committing penalties, and the other teams are playing more disciplined.

Good guess, but the Eagles don't get flag like they do (10-1 last night) when other crew are referring their games. 

17 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's because the Eagles are committing penalties, and the other teams are playing more disciplined.

Or maybe players like James Bradbury were repeatedly getting away with DPI on Alshon Jeffrey without the refs calling penalties. 

On the flipside, that Cam Newton Superman dive should have been a touchdown and none of you can convince me otherwise. 

46 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

In those last four games, dating back to 2013, Morelli's crew has hit the Eagles with 40 penalties for 396 yards. Eagles opponents have been penalized eight times for 74 yards.

That's pretty extreme; I wonder how it compares to Morelli's other home/away splits over the same time period.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Were there any really atrocious calls on the Eagles last night? I thought the PI on Mills on the McLeod interception was a little ticky tacky, but I'm trying to think of other egregious penalty calls on them last night. 

The problem wasn't that the calls on the Eagles were wrong, it is that they weren't called evenly. We had three ticky tack PI's called on us, numerous holding penalties, and one non existent block in the back on Alshon. The Panthers didn't get called for a single penalty all game even though there were numerous occasions of similar or more extreme violations then the ones the Eagles were committing. The ONLY penalty that the Panthers got called on them the whole game was a defensive player lining up over the center on an extra point. Basically, the game was not called fairly at all. 

This article gives some insight on the history of this crew and the Eagles: https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/10/13/16468440/eagles-pete-morelli-crew-beat-panthers-philadelphia-carolina-officiating-flags-calls-stats-nfl

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The problem wasn't that the calls on the Eagles were wrong, it is that they weren't called evenly. We had three ticky tack PI's called on us, numerous holding penalties, and one non existent block in the back on Alshon. The Panthers didn't get called for a single penalty all game even though there were numerous occasions of similar or more extreme violations then the ones the Eagles were committing. The ONLY penalty that the Panthers got called on them the whole game was a defensive player lining up over the center on an extra point. Basically, the game was not called fairly at all. 

This article gives some insight on the history of this crew and the Eagles: https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/10/13/16468440/eagles-pete-morelli-crew-beat-panthers-philadelphia-carolina-officiating-flags-calls-stats-nfl

The Chiefs dealt with this the first few weeks this season

Against the Patriots they got called for everything in the book, but when Patriots would commit holding then nada.

If an opposing WR is handfighting with with a Chiefs DB down the field guess who gets the call? The Chiefs DB.

Sometimes you gotta fight the refs and the opposing team on game day

The Titans had a 59 yard touchdown called back on a supposed pass interference 25+ yards away from the play and Miami was given a fumble recovery TD despite Cassel's arm clearly moving forward and the ball traveling 12 yards downfield, and a clear as day whistle to blow the play dead. This was 2 weeks after having 2 touchdowns called back for absolute crap against Seattle. I give up when it comes to NFL officiating. It's a joke. 

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

The Chiefs dealt with this the first few weeks this season

Against the Patriots they got called for everything in the book, but when Patriots would commit holding then nada.

If an opposing WR is handfighting with with a Chiefs DB down the field guess who gets the call? The Chiefs DB.

Sometimes you gotta fight the refs and the opposing team on game day

Very true, and very frustrating. No clue why things like this can happen without some kind of punishment from the NFL.

Not that the Browns lost a few games to the refs, but, we've (those of us that watch the Browns) seen this plenty of times. Heck even when Gio scored his TD vs us this year, the replay was clear as day showed one of the Bengals OL straight up face mask one of our guys and bring him to the ground with no flag.

Truth is, I think it's a bit of home cooking and the Refs may have honestly just missed those calls that we can see with the benefit of us watching at home on our TVs then they can on the field trying to watching 22 players.

7 minutes ago, Onizuka said:

Not that the Browns lost a few games to the refs, but, we've (those of us that watch the Browns) seen this plenty of times. Heck even when Gio scored his TD vs us this year, the replay was clear as day showed one of the Bengals OL straight up face mask one of our guys and bring him to the ground with no flag.

Truth is, I think it's a bit of home cooking and the Refs may have honestly just missed those calls that we can see with the benefit of us watching at home on our TVs then they can on the field trying to watching 22 players.

If you are going to claim incompetence I will not argue against that, but it is incredibly hard to believe that the refs actually believe that the Panthers didn't commit a single penalty in regular game play. At some point, it goes from incompetence to something else when it gets this extreme. What that is I don't know, but it is very hard for me to believe it is only incompetence.

Archived