Pete Morelli Ref Crew vs Eagles

Chiefer

7 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I remember Raiders fans complaining about the refs being one-sided too.  They lead the league in penalties by a mile.

Sometimes a team is just undisciplined and commits a lot of penalties.

And how often is a team so disciplined they commit no penalties during regular game play?

20 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

So basically you just highlight what helps your argument and ignore anything that doesn't. Nice.

If you want proof that the game was not called even remotely balanced, go watch the game. I am not saying the penalties on the Eagles were inaccurate, they mostly made sense. It was the complete lack of penalties called on the Panthers for doing the exact same things we were getting penalized for.

Those tweets are facts. Not some fan made bs argument that can be easily argued against, facts. "Oh, but the Eagles just commit lots of penalties so your argument doesn't matter." If that is what you are going to say, go watch the game and show me that the Panthers didn't commit a single penalty in normal play that was noticeable or worth being called. Or at least go and compare our penalties for and against with other refs in the league. I guarantee you will find much different numbers if you do that.

Honestly the fact that you would even argue that the referees were balanced in that game after looking at the penalty stats is laughable and shows you have either not thought critically about the likelihood of those stats being accurate, or you are biased towards your conclusion in some fashion.

You did nothing to debate my point. I argued that the statistic means nothing without context. You failed to provide context. Context show that in those 4 games the Eagles played teams that are actually disciplined while they themselves are not... Those are facts based on 32 games of data. Not a small 4 game sample set. Or Morelli's tendency to favor the home team. But again, let's ignore context because it makes a good narrative.

8 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I remember Raiders fans complaining about the refs being one-sided too.  They lead the league in penalties by a mile.

Sometimes a team is just undisciplined and commits a lot of penalties.

Shhh... Don't bring logic into this.

9 hours ago, Danger said:

In 2016 at Detroit,

The Eagles were called for 14 penalties and 111 yards. They averaged the rest of the season 6.7 Penalties for 73 yards per game.
(7.3 more penalties and 38 more yards than the season average)

The Lions were called for 2 penalties for 18 yards. Their opponents averaged the rest of the season 6 Penalties for 51 yards per game.
(4 fewer penalties and 33 yards fewer than the season average)

This season vs against the Panthers
The Eagles were called for 10 penalties for 126 yards. They average the season at  7 penalties for 65 yards.
(3 more penalties for 61 more yards than the season average)

The Panthers were called for 1 penalty for 1 yard, The average the rest of the season for Eagles opponents is 6.6 Penalties for 58 yards.
(5.6 fewer penalties for 57 fewer yards)

Yeah given those numbers it's clearly biased, or just terrible officiating. I'd like to know the previous two games Morelli has reffed for us so I can do those compared to seasonal averages as well.

38 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

You did nothing to debate my point. I argued that the statistic means nothing without context. You failed to provide context. Context show that in those 4 games the Eagles played teams that are actually disciplined while they themselves are not... Those are facts based on 32 games of data. Not a small 4 game sample set. Or Morelli's tendency to favor the home team. But again, let's ignore context because it makes a good narrative.

Ok those are the average number of yards and penalties. Sorry I ignored your "context" argument, it was so ridiculous that I actually believed any rational person could understand why the "context" you desire doesn't matter. "Panthers are the fourth(or whatever it is) least penalized team in the league", who cares. They average 6 penalties for 60 yards. They got called for 1 penalty(on an extra point) for one yard. Any basic level of critical thinking will tell you that is not normal. "But it was just one game, so it was just an anomaly", wrong again. I refer you to the above statistics. If that is your only argument, I hate to break it to you but your argument isn't an argument, it is just a way to confirm you bias.

Honestly don't know why I am even replying to someone whose argument is so poorly constructed. You say these teams don't commit a lot of penalties and the Eagles do. Why does that matter when the Panthers got called for a single penalty(which again was on an extra point)? If you can't understand that no football team is perfect enough to not commit a single penalty  in an entire regulation football game, then I have no clue why I am even discussing anything with you. You don't even attempt to construct an argument that even could be partially correct like, "The refs were just bad that day, it happens", or "The refs just happen to favor home teams, right or not." No, you claim that because the Eagles commit(on average) more penalties than the rest of the league and that the Panthers(again, on average) commit less penalties, that it is no surprise that the Panthers didn't get flagged once during regular play of an entire football game.

Just L O L. 

20 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

And remember the one penalty that Carolina had, the refs tried to assess it onto the kickoff without even asking our coaches. Like the refs were giving us one token penalty that doesn't matter because teams never return the ball anyways anymore

To be fair, in this day and age that assumption is almost always made.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:12 PM, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ok those are the average number of yards and penalties. Sorry I ignored your "context" argument, it was so ridiculous that I actually believed any rational person could understand why the "context" you desire doesn't matter. "Panthers are the fourth(or whatever it is) least penalized team in the league", who cares. They average 6 penalties for 60 yards. They got called for 1 penalty(on an extra point) for one yard. Any basic level of critical thinking will tell you that is not normal. "But it was just one game, so it was just an anomaly", wrong again. I refer you to the above statistics. If that is your only argument, I hate to break it to you but your argument isn't an argument, it is just a way to confirm you bias.

Honestly don't know why I am even replying to someone whose argument is so poorly constructed. You say these teams don't commit a lot of penalties and the Eagles do. Why does that matter when the Panthers got called for a single penalty(which again was on an extra point)? If you can't understand that no football team is perfect enough to not commit a single penalty  in an entire regulation football game, then I have no clue why I am even discussing anything with you. You don't even attempt to construct an argument that even could be partially correct like, "The refs were just bad that day, it happens", or "The refs just happen to favor home teams, right or not." No, you claim that because the Eagles commit(on average) more penalties than the rest of the league and that the Panthers(again, on average) commit less penalties, that it is no surprise that the Panthers didn't get flagged once during regular play of an entire football game.

Just L O L. 

Don't bother. 

I already provided the actual probability of that kind if disparity in penalties to happen in a season, and it's roughly 0.5%. And it happened to us twice, in two years, with the same reffing crew. Not even gonna bother doing the odds of it happening twice to the same team in 2 years. Lol.

If we were just strictly going by "discipline" And what each team ranked in penalties every season, then in these last 4 games reffed by Morelli, the difference in penalties between us and our opponents should show that we were the least disciplines team in the NFL, And our opponent was the most. 

But nah it's just us whining. This stuff happens all the time! Just look at the odds!

On 10/15/2017 at 3:48 PM, PackyAttacky said:

Now we need a thread about these baised ones in MN,  worst reffed game I have ever seen. They are tackling our defenders and no flags thrown for holding. No wonder the ratings are down.

Well, since you brought it up, Minnesota is 2-14 in Pete Morelli-officiated games and he regularly screws us (as recently as a few weeks ago).

More glaringly, Vikings fans will never forget that Morelli and his crew did the 2009 NFCCG, which might be the most biased, botched reffing job of all time. The calls his crew made in OT will forever have me thinking there was something going on with that crew's integrity.

Morelli is a problem, and I don't think there's much doubt about it.

Archived