Seahawks 2021 Draft

animaltested

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mock Draft ; 4/16 [PFF Sim]

Two weeks out from the draft, time for another crack at a mock for Seattle.

2.56 => TRADE Jets for 3.66 & 4.107

3.66 Brady Christensen OL BYU

4.107 => TRADE Houston for 4.109 & 6.212

4.109 => TRADE Giants for 4.116 & 6.196

4.116 Bobby Brown III DL Texas A&M

4.129 => TRADE WFT for 2022 3rd & 5.163 & 7.244

5.163 D'Ante Smith OL East Carolina

5.196 Buddy Johnson LB Texas A&M

6.212 Jason Pinnock CB Pittsburgh

7.244 Jalen Camp WR Georgia Tech

7.250 Sadarius Hutcherson G South Carolina

OL Brady Christensen - 2021 Competes at C & G, Swing T

Brady tested as one of the most explosive OL not just in 2021, but ever. Broad, Vert, SS and Bench all exceeded Seattle's benchmarks. Only knock on Brady is the 32 arms and 302 weight. The arms mean he profiles to the interior. Right now, BC would have a inside edge in the competition at center with Pocic and Fuller. Has the athleticism and explosion to see snaps at Swing T as well. 

DL Bobby Brown III - 2021 Rotational depth at 1 TECH

33 inch vert at 321 lbs tells you everything you need to know about BB. EXPLOSIVE. 35 inch arms too. Could be a nice counterpart to Poona up the middle. Would imediately compete with Woods, Mone and Lattimore for snaps. Ultimately, what Seattle does here in the draft will let you know what their long term plan is with LJ Collier. Alot of chatter about him moving inside full time. 

OT D'ante Smith - 2021 Depth at T; 2022 RT prospect

Smith had a fantastic Senior Bowl, and with 35 inch arms, profiles as a OT in the NFL. Probably needs a year in the NFL weight room (305 24 reps) but has the athleticism and length to compete at T. Could compete with Jamarco and Cedric O on the depth chart at tackle. Would be set up for potentially a bigger role in 2022. 

LB Buddy Johnson - 2021 ST, LB Depth

Buddy had a fantastic pro day, and is a fast riser as the draft draws nearer. 

CB Jason Pinnock - 2021 ST, Developmental boundary CB

Jason is one of the few CB's that check all the testing boxes Seattle has for boundary CBs. 32+ Arms, 4.4 40, 39.5 Vert, good SS and 3 Cone. Tape is a mess. Can Pete the DB whisperer clean up the technique? 

WR Jalen Camp - 2021 Developmental Outside WR

Tested really well, great traits (6'1 220, 10.5 Broad, 4.4 40, 4.14 SS, 7 3C). Was underutilized at GT. Would have to make an impact on ST to make the team. BUT Seattle's WR depth beyond DK and Lockett is wide open. Only Freddie Swain has any sort of inside track to making the team.

G Sadarius Hutcherson - 2021 OL Depth

35 Bench Reps, 31.5 Vert, tested really well. At 6'3 320 has the size to play the big guard Seattle likes. Would have a shot at competing with Simmons and Haynes (& Christensen) for spots on the IOL Depth Chart. 

I can see us targeting a cornerback after a trade down. It would be nice to draft an heir apparent at left tackle, but that’s a bigger crap shoot at the point we are picking IMO. 

my guess is that we move down, at least once before selecting though. If anything we need to fill out the roster with some young blood in back up roles as well.  My guess is that we will have several UDFA players at key backup roles. 

if it is a cornerback, who would you guy suggest? 

Edited by SHONUFF
Forgot

22 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

I can see us targeting a cornerback after a trade down. It would be nice to draft an heir apparent at left tackle, but that’s a bigger crap shoot at the point we are picking IMO. 

my guess is that we move down, at least once before selecting though. If anything we need to fill out the roster with some young blood in back up roles as well.  My guess is that we will have several UDFA players at key backup roles. 

if it is a cornerback, who would you guy suggest? 

If we are talking about boundary CB's:

Ifeatu Melifonwu

Tyson Campbell

Ambry Thomas

Shaun Wade

Robert Rochell

Benjamin St-Juste

Jason Pinnock

Bryan Mills

Israel Mukuama

Brandon Stephens

Isaiah Dunn

All these guys check the 32 Arms, 40 Time. Things like ball skills, tackling, and hips (for the kick step) probably trim this list down even more. 

Edited by animaltested

• 2 weeks later...

I think we made 3 good picks, we’ve needed speed from the slot for quite a while now and now we have got it. 

schnierder, and Pete really threw a curve ball with the tre brown pick. I’m guessing we will see more man coverage this year than in years past. I think we will see plenty of big nickel sets, with Blair and Adam’s alternating roles. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hate to not be around during draft season, but wanted to share my thoughts on an obviously light draft class for Seattle. 

Dwayne Eskridge
I could not have loved the Dwayne Eskridge pick more. We needed another legit YAC threat on this offense. After Toney and Rondale came off the board, Eskridge was the only other WR in this class who fit that bill IMO. I personally had Eskridge graded as a late 2nd-early 3rd round prospect. Rumor is we swiped him just before the Rams intended on taking him, who ultimately settled for Tutu Atwell. I personally had a 5th round grade on Atwell, so I consider that another major win with this pick. Eskridge is so damn dynamic and competitive. Despite being a legit WR prospect, he played DB for the Broncos when they needed him too. I don't like throwing around this comp because it's become too easy for anyone under 5'10" that can burn, but he has a lot of Tyreek Hill to his game. Tyler Lockett admits he's lost a step, so Eskridge rejuvenates the perimeter speed threat we have and is sure to really challenge defenses to all areas of the field. It wasn't quite as exciting, but I celebrated this pick similar to how I celebrated the DK Metcalf pick (granted I had DK with a 1st round grade that year). 

Tre Brown 
Solid pick in the 4th. Nothing that made me jump out of my seat, and if there's any negative takeaway from this, it's that unfortunately I believe it signals the last year of DJ Reed in a Seahawks uniform. Very similar build, style of play, and versatility between those two guys. Tre also comes equipped with the same type of dynamic return abilities on special teams that Reed does. Brown doesn't strike me as the kind of prospect who will survive on the perimeter and he has very little experience in the slot. He's reportedly looked good in rookie camp but we'll see how that translates. I think biggest plus from this pick is that it means we still have a stud kick return man without having to use Reed or Eskridge in that role (or at least that's my hope). 

Stone Forsythe
I didn't study Stone prior to the draft, and all I heard when we traded up to get him was that he was generally regarded as a 4th round prospect, so I was excited to watch his tape. Upon review, I can definitely see why he "slipped". His prerequisite size is phenomenal, but that's about where the true strengths end. He's not particularly quick to the edge in pass pro, he doesn't bring noticeable power for his size, and his technique is pretty poor. All of that said, he has starting NFL size and experience at both RT and LT, and should serve as a nice project as they begin to plan for Duane Brown's retirement. 

On 5/3/2021 at 11:35 AM, SHONUFF said:

I think we made 3 good picks, we’ve needed speed from the slot for quite a while now and now we have got it. 

I suspect Eskridge will spend a lot of time on the perimeter so Lockett is freed up to expose the middle of the field which he still does very well. Gerald Everett should be your size/speed mismatch from the slot. 

On 5/3/2021 at 1:07 PM, animaltested said:

Why the Tre Brown pick shows Pete/JS are willing to concede on profiles. By all accounts, they expect him to play outside.

I think this is a direct product of the way DJ Reed played for us last year. I'm skeptical that Tre Brown can match that, but I'm glad to see Pete/John being more imaginative about who fits the scheme. 

49 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I suspect Eskridge will spend a lot of time on the perimeter so Lockett is freed up to expose the middle of the field which he still does very well. Gerald Everett should be your size/speed mismatch from the slot. 

I think this is a direct product of the way DJ Reed played for us last year. I'm skeptical that Tre Brown can match that, but I'm glad to see Pete/John being more imaginative about who fits the scheme. 

Yeah. A common theme I have heard from pundits on Seattle is when the NFL leans, Pete and John bend. The NFL is saturated with long, fast DBs, and therefore you could make the argument sticky undersized boundary DBs are somewhat undervalued. That being said, they did sign Witherspoon to "starter" money. So... maybe its nothing.

7 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Yeah. A common theme I have heard from pundits on Seattle is when the NFL leans, Pete and John bend. The NFL is saturated with long, fast DBs, and therefore you could make the argument sticky undersized boundary DBs are somewhat undervalued. That being said, they did sign Witherspoon to "starter" money. So... maybe its nothing.

Could simply be a case of Arizona trading up and swiping the "long" DB that Seattle would've otherwise selected with that pick. I wouldn't expect them to start preferring smaller CBs, but it's nice to know they aren't completely ignoring them anymore.