2021 Coaching Staff - Who will Sirianni bring in?

Kiltman

39 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah. We ain't gonna get picks for that any time soon. Neither of the coordinators we signed are minorities and I'm not sure there is one moving up the ranks of our front office either now that Berry is gone.

Wait there's picks involved for that sort of thing specifically? Well thats news to me. If that's the case... No comment.

The news that the Lions are hiring longtime Rams executive Brad Holmes as Detroit’s new general manager means that for the first time, the league’s new rule rewarding teams that help develop minority coaches and executives will be put into place.

Holmes is a minority, so the Rams will now receive a third-round compensatory pick in both the 2021 NFL draft and the 2022 NFL draft for losing Holmes.

No Way Wow GIF by Nickelodeon

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Wait there's picks involved for that sort of thing specifically? Well thats news to me. If that's the case... No comment.

you can get a 3rd round comp pick if a minority gets hired as a GM, 4th if they get hired as a HC (or maybe a 3rd for HC too?), I think. It's new starting this year.

Edited by Jeezla

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

you can get a 3rd round comp pick if a minority gets hired as a GM, 4th if they get hired as a HC (or maybe a 3rd for HC too?), I think. It's new starting this year.

They are all 3rd round picks. I think it is two 3rds for a HC and three for a GM. To be spread out over years. 

It is also not just hiring a minority. It is someone who you "groomed" or whatever. Aka someone who was on your staff for a while and were poached to another team. It is your compensation.

Some saying Lions are stacking their new staff with this in mind knowing in a few years most of them will be in position to be HC or GM. 

I have mixed feelings about it but also if this is the only way some people will even get a chance... so be it. 

19 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

wasnt last year the only bad year?

Top of the league in 2017

Middle of the pack in 2018

Bottom 3rd of the league the last two years. Been buoyed up by punting.

He’s not the worst but they’ve gotten worse. He does a good job on coverage.

11 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I do wonder who we bring in as WR coach. I also wonder if our new WR whisperer head coach could make something of JJAW. Not saying it's likely to happen but that could be a happy accident.

Idk why but I feel like JJ is salvageable. Prob bc he was a second round pick

5 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Need more info on Johnson to really dictate how I feel.

Dan Mullen is a quarterback whisperer and maybe the best QB coach in the nation so it's hard to judge Brian Johnson based on his time with Mullen. However - both Prescott and Trask flourished under Johnson when he was their QB coach, so there's reason for optimism.