Falcons hire Dean Pees as DC; Dave Ragone as OC

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Deadpulse said:

He's had some really strong units. He has been pretty hit or miss. He does well with solid talent, which I guess isnt that impressive. He doesn't squander talent 

Indeed. He will go as far as the talent on the roster will take him. But aside from that, his schemes in general (lots of soft coverage and uncreative blitzes) are just really frustrating to watch. His entire philosophy is "bend but don't break".

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Indeed. He will go as far as the talent on the roster will take him. But aside from that, his schemes in general (lots of soft coverage and uncreative blitzes) are just really frustrating to watch. His entire philosophy is "bend but don't break".

Uncreative blitzes is literally the exact opposite of what he was here Soft coverage could depend on the situation. Could even argue his favoring of creative blitzes is what generally led to his defenses getting beat here. But in general in his time here was one of the top 5 DCs in football and I was hoping and praying if he did come out of retirement it'd be back with us.

He unquestionably elevated the talent of our defense with his play calling.

• Like 1

BAL fans should be happy - wasn't Wink Martindale in their crosshairs, or was that another team for HC?  A team that hires Pees is 1 less to hire Wink.  Seems like a W for BAL (edit: oh wait, you can't poach for lateral hires...never mind).

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

BAL fans should be happy - wasn't Wink Martindale in their crosshairs, or was that another team for HC?  A team that hires Pees is 1 less to hire Wink.  Seems like a W for BAL (edit: oh wait, you can't poach for lateral hires...never mind).

I don't think Wink even got any interviews this year.

12 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

he was great in tennessee with the talent he had. hell, look at the drop off. i'm pretty bummed we couldn't get him back.

In fairness hard to say how much of that is about how good Pees is and how much of it is just the lesson that you're probably better off having any DC than none at all. 

But yeah of the 3 teams he's been DC with it seems like Titans fans like him a lot more than us or Pats fans did. Kinda makes me wonder what the deal is with him and Vrabel though if he's coming back to follow Smith rather than just heading back to his his old job in TEN given they never replaced him. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

2 minutes ago, kramxel said:

He just can't stay retired LOL.

I've got Favre vibes.

When he 'retired' with us the consensus is that he was basically fired but they called it a retirement to help him save face, so it wasn't a surprise when he 'unretired' to go work in Tennessee. Kinda makes me wonder whether the same thing happened in TEN. Doesn't really make as much sense given by all accounts Titans fans were actually happy with the job he was doing there. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

Yeah Pees wasn’t terrible for the Ravens by any means, but in the 3 years since he’s left the Ravens are literally #1 in PPG and YPG on defense in that span lol

He can get your unit to “respectable/good” level but he’s not a guy to get you consistently in that top 5 range. 

Just depends what you’re looking for I guess.

Edited by Ray Reed