Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Don’t like to see this drag out. It’s hard to believe nobody would offer a late rounder. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

it's got to be financial/contractual don't you think?  He's got a strange looking contract that seems to expire after this season. 

That'd make him basically a one year rental with a $14 million plus cap hit.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

That’s not terrible when you consider the market has largely dried up in free agency, so if you have the available space I believe it’s worth it. Simmons deal and bonus conversions from Purcell and McManus today should clear about 10 million alone. 

In this market - 14M is a lot.   I mean, some excellent safeties that got paid 8-10M just signed for 5M.   

Allbright thought that Paton would sign Fuller for 1/9M if he was released.   Or maybe he was hoping for a back-loaded 2-year deal.  Who knows.   But that 5M saved would likely fit Kareem Jackson in, too.   We have the room but Paton might be gauging the market price.   It’s definitely cause for concern because losing Fuller would hurt a lot.  

Chicago did tip their hand by signing another cheaper CB in Desmond Trufant   But I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.  Don’t know if transactions run on weekends in the offseason.   

Edited by Broncofan

Depending on how much they want to carry over, they’d have room for Fuller’s salary, Jackson and another lower mid tier FA. There’s 12-14 million dollars of extra cap not accounted for on OTC yet.

If you are taking on a decent chunk of 2021 cap for a veteran QB, that obviously changes things. If it’s Foles/Minshew who are both pretty cheap, you can proceed with Plan A.

I guess we just hope nobody trades for him in this daily game of chicken and we have a great chance if he hits the market.

Edited by BroncoBruin

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Depending on how much they want to carry over, they’d have room for Fuller’s salary, Jackson and another lower mid tier FA. There’s 12-14 million dollars of extra cap not accounted for on OTC yet.

If you are taking on a decent chunk of 2021 cap for a veteran QB, that obviously changes things. If it’s Foles/Minshew who are both pretty cheap, you can proceed with Plan A.

I guess we just hope nobody trades for him in this daily game of chicken and we have a great chance if he hits the market.

I'm wondering how much Ojemudia's rookie season is factoring in FA. Maybe they're expecting a bit of a leap from him this year. 

His 59 solo tackles and 4 forced fumbles are fairly impressive for a CB that played 75% of the snaps. Not so impressive is the 70% completion percentage against him.

Anyway, just curious what they see in him going forward.

It was mentioned before with our RT long-term need that he could be a fit, but with the circumstances around his off-field issues, and now 2 teams having cut bait, a big no thanks.  When a guy doesn't want help, there's no path to rehabilitation & recovery from his issues.  Hard pass.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

In this market - 14M is a lot.   I mean, some excellent safeties that got paid 8-10M just signed for 5M.     

Also, 14 million is barely a top 10 corner salary in 2021. We’re talking about a guy who was an All-Pro in this scheme. I guess they can cheap out and risk the Chargers getting him if they want. Maybe it’s all moot and he hits the market and you get the best of all worlds. But I’m of the mindset that a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. And the in-division dynamic adds some extra motivation. 

This is an uncomfortable reality of the new GM + coach on hot seat dynamic. I’m certain Vic would echo everything I’ve said in here because his situation is not Paton’s.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It was mentioned before with our RT long-term need that he could be a fit, but with the circumstances around his off-field issues, and now 2 teams having cut bait, a big no thanks.  When a guy doesn't want help, there's no path to rehabilitation & recovery from his issues.  Hard pass.

The Dolphins actually traded for that guy?

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Also, 14 million is barely a top 10 corner salary in 2021. We’re talking about a guy who was an All-Pro in this scheme. I guess they can cheap out and risk the Chargers getting him if they want. Maybe it’s all moot and he hits the market and you get the best of all worlds. But I’m of the mindset that a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. And the in-division dynamic adds some extra motivation. 

This is an uncomfortable reality of the new GM + coach on hot seat dynamic. I’m certain Vic would echo everything I’ve said in here because his situation is not Paton’s.

If it were me, I'd probably pay the 14M and give a 5th.  But the angle Paton might be pursuing besides trying to save the 5M - he might be trying to get Fuller to sign a 2-3 year deal, and get a larger savings, especially compared to how crazy the wage scale will be in 2022 when the new TV money hits.

I agree it's trying to gain on the back end - when there's a bird-in-the-hand argument.   I do think the fact that there are so few teams that have 15M in cap space right now, is definitely part of the reasoning here.  But it comes with risk we lose him, for sure.   Not crazy about that, either.

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

The Dolphins actually traded for that guy?

They offered a 2021 7th for a 2022 7th from the Titans, and the contract had no guarantees, because he was suspended last year.   So it was taking a flier of a 7th round pick swap, with no $ risk if this happened.    It really was a no-risk move by the Phins.

The real lost pick was Tennessee is spending a 1st on him...and cutting bait with him after 1 season.     That's a terrible look for Wilson, though.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If it were me, I'd probably pay the 14M and give a 5th.  But the angle Paton might be pursuing besides trying to save the 5M - he might be trying to get Fuller to sign a 2-3 year deal, and get a larger savings, especially compared to how crazy the wage scale will be in 2022 when the new TV money hits.

I agree it's trying to gain on the back end - when there's a bird-in-the-hand argument.   I do think the fact that there are so few teams that have 15M in cap space right now, is definitely part of the reasoning here.

The potential 2-3 year contract is a great point. Paton has shown he is patient but certainly not cheap, they will pay fair value for guys they like. You always have to be mindful of the Broncos’ below average cash flow relative to teams around the league but if they’re working on a deal with Fuller behind the scenes and you somehow end up with Simmons and Fuller for a combined 15 million this year, still having room to pick at the rest of the market, that’s outstanding work. Bet on the TV deals and lock down your secondary for the next 3 years. 

• Like 1