Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That’s astute. He’s a good fit for Vic’s scheme too and he probably knows him from his time with the Bears. That could very well be one of our top targets. 

Does anyone have a link to list of likely league-wide free agents? 

Spotrac has a good FA page.

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

Was wondering - if we decided to move on from Miller - think we should look at Shaq Barrett as an option?

TAM only really has 30M in cap space about 30M of savings with restructures / extensions for .   They have 2 priority re-signs - Barrett & David.    Don't think he walks.  

More importantly I don’t think he sees us as a great spot.  No FA should.  

You keep Gordon imo because his solid play raises the offense’s floor in a very important way. If the passing game is again subpar, you can still probably run an excellent power run game with Gordon and this Munchak OL. They were starting to really roll at the end of the year. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That’s astute. He’s a good fit for Vic’s scheme too and he probably knows him from his time with the Bears. That could very well be one of our top targets. 

Does anyone have a link to list of likely league-wide free agents? 

I think you mean the Vikings.   One cautionary note - Rhodes thrived in IND’s zone scheme.   So he’d be a good fit here.   But his coverage skills straight up are declining.   Min used to use him as an island CB in man - and he really couldn’t keep up in 2019, he was literally one of the worst CB’s in man coverage, even against opponents WR2’s.  It’s why he was a bargain FA signing at 3M last year.  

If he’s willing to take 6-8M sure, the zone scheme fits.   But given his skill decline, it’s buyer beware.  

Edited by Broncofan

I think there’s a chance the Vikings cut ties with Anthony Barr this year. I would expect they want to re-sign Eric Wilson and get out from Barr’s big deal, which he hasn’t lived up to. If that happens, I’d expect us to sign him and he probably wouldn’t be too costly either That’s George Paton’s guy, both Loyola High and UCLA alums raised in Los Angeles. Barr has his flaws but he’s also about the most versatile LB in the league and can be a situational playmaker. He could have been a really good full-time edge rusher in the league. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

I’d like us to bring in Minshew this offseason. He’s a distressed asset and performed admirably in an intentionally dysfunctional situation in JAX the last two years. I think he’d be a great add as either a) completion for Lock b) a transition starter for a R1 QB or c) a reliable backup for an injury prone vet like Stafford

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I’d like us to bring in Minshew this offseason. He’s a distressed asset and performed admirably in an intentionally dysfunctional situation in JAX the last two years. I think he’d be a great add as either a) completion for Lock b) a transition starter for a R1 QB or c) a reliable backup for an injury prone vet like Stafford

I could handle this.

4 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Very different skill set than Lock and Stafford. I’ve always believed your starter and backup should be of a similar makeup so the offense doesn’t have to totally change if and when the backup has to play. I’m not a fan of Minshew at all, seems like a guy who caught lightning in a bottle for 3/4 or so or a season and, you’re right the Jags were a mess, but if they thought he was worth keeping they would. 

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Very different skill set than Lock and Stafford. I’ve always believed your starter and backup should be of a similar makeup so the offense doesn’t have to totally change if and when the backup has to play. I’m not a fan of Minshew at all, seems like a guy who caught lightning in a bottle for 3/4 or so or a season and, you’re right the Jags were a mess, but if they thought he was worth keeping they would. 

Don’t entirely disagree w/ your first point but also think his style isnt entirely incompatible w/ a Shurmur offense. JAX (w/ a new GM, HC, & 1.1 QB) in a transition year not keeping the low-ceiling incumbent QB isn’t necessarily a steer-clear red flag. IMO (and I’m biased bc he’s a WSU-alum) Minshew has some staying power as a spot starter, long-term backup QB in the league. Accurate, doesn’t turn it over, modest arm strength, grinder-type good locker room guy- would be a good addition.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Don’t entirely disagree w/ your first point but also think his style isnt entirely incompatible w/ a Shurmur offense. JAX (w/ a new GM, HC, & 1.1 QB) in a transition year not keeping the low-ceiling incumbent QB isn’t necessarily a steer-clear red flag. IMO (and I’m biased bc he’s a WSU-alum) Minshew has some staying power as a spot starter, long-term backup QB in the league. Accurate, doesn’t turn it over, modest arm strength, grinder-type good locker room guy- would be a good addition.

Yeah you’re right in terms of just having a general house cleaning in Jax. Now, I’m not overly opposed to bringing him in, just not at the top of my list of veterans to bring in to mentor Lock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah you’re right in terms of just having a general house cleaning in Jax. Now, I’m not overly opposed to bringing him in, just not at the top of my list of veterans to bring in to mentor Lock. 

FWIW, Minshew is in his 3rd year in a rookie contract, and they can extend him a 2nd round tender for 2022.  He's not going anywhere, he's likely going to be their backup to Trevor.     If he hits the FA market, sure, sign a guy like that to the vet min.  But nothing more. 

And frankly, there is no way we should ever pay draft picks to acquire a backup.  We're having a debate for a starter's price - there's no debate on backups, at least in the offseason, or stopgaps who have no long-term future as our starter (and Minshew is not a guy you pay any kind of real money to in a 2nd deal).  We went that fool's errand path with Joe Flacco (yeah, yeah, he was our starter - another horrific nightmare call by Elway there, I love the guy, but man his QB decision making...).  Never again.  

• 2 weeks later...