Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

Yesterday, Allbright said this was not on the docket. Today, the desire is there. Sounds like they will figure it out.

Edit: Says they are about 3 million apart. Let’s make this easy: Paton gives 1, Kareem gives 1, the last million possible with incentives. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

At this point, assuming Watson isnt an option, this is what I hope happens:

Resign Kareem Jackson 1Y / 5-6M

DEN 1.09 for JAX 1.19 + 2022 1st

Trade 3.71 + Conditional 2022 Pick for QB Sam Darnold

1.19 - Zaven Collins LB/EDGE

2.40 - Javonte Williams RB

Have not gotten deep enough to mock rounds past 3, but ideally you get a developmental S + OL Depth + DL Depth in the later rounds. 

Gives us a QB comp in 2021, ideally one of them shows out and we can use the extra R1 as we please in 2022. If neither do, we have the fallback option for 2022 of packaging our 2 R1 picks to get up for a QB. Like the bet hedging. 

This would be great! 

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It’s happening - sounds like Kareem Jackson is back.  

I took that as more of an “if he’s back” thing rather than some kind of foreknowledge. But I think we know where this is headed regardless. This is the kind of negotiation I’d worry about Elway botching, but Paton has shown he understands the big picture beyond saving nickels and dimes. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

I took that as more of an “if he’s back” thing rather than some kind of foreknowledge. But I think we know where this is headed regardless. This is the kind of negotiation I’d worry about Elway botching, but Paton has shown he understands the big picture beyond saving nickels and dimes. 

Yeah sounds like wishful thinking so far. 

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah sounds like wishful thinking so far. 

The fact that we’re even hearing about both sides talking tells me this gets done. This weekend’s moves I think cemented Kareem’s desire to come back. They will quibble over money for a bit but the Broncos have the space and even if they bend a little they’ll be getting him back at a great value. You can’t gamble on a safety this year with the group they’ve put together.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The fact that we’re even hearing about both sides talking tells me this gets done. This weekend’s moves I think cemented Kareem’s desire to come back. They will quibble over money for a bit but the Broncos have the space and even if they bend a little they’ll be getting him back at a great value. You can’t gamble on a safety this year with the group they’ve put together.

Before we credit Paton for spending up we should recognize that the cap situation makes it easy to backload deals and get value 1-year signings for guys like Fuller who can’t wait to hit FA next offseason when the wage scale likely explodes, because of the insane cap increase coming next year.  Most years backloading deals will hurt teams a lot the next 1-2 years, but that’s not the case this time.   Elway deserves credit for creating the cap space so Paton can take advantage.    

Having said that - every decision Paton has made in cutting a vet has been clearly justified.  Kareem was the only one where we just didn’t have a great alternative but it made total business sense at that number / his age.   If we can get him back (even if it’s a marginal savings) now that the secondary only needs a SS - huge win win.  

I don’t say the above as a criticism of Paton - he’s made all the right moves so far and that alone is rare for any GM let alone a 1st year GM.   Just that these are a unique set of circumstances that gives teams with cap space room to really upgrade.    But that doesn’t change the fact Paton has leveraged the opportunity into great results, either.   

Paton’s just about got us to the point where we can hit the draft with only a goal of ‘load up BPA defenders.’ 

The QB question continues to loom, however. I don’t know what the answer is there. If Mariota gets cut, that’s probably our best realistic option. While I find the allegations surrounding Deshaun pretty suspicious, that’s a helluva lot of smoke not to be hiding at least *some* fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Paton’s just about got us to the point where we can hit the draft with only a goal of ‘load up BPA defenders.’ 

The QB question continues to loom, however. I don’t know what the answer is there. If Mariota gets cut, that’s probably our best realistic option. While I find the allegations surrounding Deshaun pretty suspicious, that’s a helluva lot of smoke not to be hiding at least *some* fire.

It’s pretty clear he uses massage services....with extras on the menu.  Shrug.  Outside of the US it’s not a big deal.  But as @BroncosFan2010 alluded to, making the extras illegal means some providers offer it, others don’t.    Honestly reading the first 7 published complaints - it sounds like he requested - and never forced the issue physically or with threats.   Every complaint states this.    If that’s the extent - meh, it’s not squeaky clean, but it’s not a career-threatened either.  

Still even if that’s all it ends up being - Watson’s got to navigate the NFL investigation.  Who knows how the league rules.   There’s literally no consistency there.    No sane team proceeds until then.  It’s why the reports are 5-6 teams are in a holding pattern, us included.    

If Watson gets cleared then obv the price doesn’t change much.  If it’s bad - no go.    If it’s in between (benign but gets a penalty like 4 games) - then the price goes way down but he’s still in play.   It’s why the HOU beat and national reporters still think a trade is the final outcome - but the timeline is so uncertain now, other than being after the draft.  Obviously we don’t pursue if it ends up being ugly.   In any other circumstance though I understand why even now Paton remains interested.   Just gotta wait it out. 

Edited by Broncofan

In all honesty, won’t be impressed until something happens at QB.  Elway has done this exact thing since 2015.  Denver will have a great defense, offense still a huge question because no one worth a damn is under center.  

13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

In all honesty, won’t be impressed until something happens at QB.  Elway has done this exact thing since 2015.  Denver will have a great defense, offense still a huge question because no one worth a damn is under center.  

To be fair, there's been no one that's been an impact guy except Stafford who's become available.  No one else signed has the ceiling to be a huge upgrade yet.     And there are guys who have the impact still left.   

The thing is, the D had huge holes.   Paton's done an admirable job filling them, and without overpaying - he could have agreed to a trade and paid Fuller 1/14M.   He could have renewed Kareem Jackson.   If he gets him back, it's almost certainly at a discount.   His extensions for Simmons & Shelby Harris are going to be incredible values as long as both remain healthy, because of the cap increases.    Even Darby's deal offers the same chance to be an incredible value move for 2022-23.

Still, a key point that absolutely bears recogntion - until our QB play improves, we're not quite there as a legit playoff team.   And as @BroncosFan2010 pointed out, we aren't legit sustained SB contenders until we can project top 5-8 QB play.    So while all of these moves are great so far - QB is the key to our long-term fortunes.

We've had so many posters already mention this - DEN is a QB away from being a really scary team.   The ppl who said we're not good enough to go for it at QB - well, I'd think this should give that take a lot of pause now.   Until we get much better QB play, though, we're not there yet.   So your point holds - but other than Stafford, I don't think there's been anyone who's fit the ball, and Paton didn't sit on the sidelines, either.   Obviously Watson does fit the bill, and the top 4 rookie QB's offer that ceiling - jury's out on Mac Jones, but some do believe like @Scoundrel.    Some still believe in Lock (I think he can improve, but I don't see the ceiling as enough).   It's fair to say though, that no matter what happens, our fortunes for sustained contention remain in addressing QB.   But we're not going to be able to address it until Draft time, or just after.      

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It’s pretty clear he uses massage services....with extras on the menu.  Shrug.  Outside of the US it’s not a big deal.  But as @BroncosFan2010 alluded to, making the extras illegal means some providers offer it, others don’t.    Honestly reading the first 7 published complaints - it sounds like he requested - and never forced the issue physically or with threats.   Every complaint states this.    If that’s the extent - meh, it’s not squeaky clean, but it’s not a career-threatened either.  

Still even if that’s all it ends up being - Watson’s got to navigate the NFL investigation.  Who knows how the league rules.   There’s literally no consistency there.    No sane team proceeds until then.  It’s why the reports are 5-6 teams are in a holding pattern, us included.    

If Watson gets cleared then obv the price doesn’t change much.  If it’s bad - no go.    If it’s in between (benign but gets a penalty like 4 games) - then the price goes way down but he’s still in play.   It’s why the HOU beat and national reporters still think a trade is the final outcome - but the timeline is so uncertain now, other than being after the draft.  Obviously we don’t pursue if it ends up being ugly.   In any other circumstance though I understand why even now Paton remains interested.   Just gotta wait it out. 

Again, if the trade timeline is pushed back after the draft, it’d be fantastic if Paton played the trade down game in April. If he can somehow get an extra 2022 1st or 2nd while still making 10+ picks this year, what a great situation we’d be in for a Deshaun push. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Again, if the trade timeline is pushed back after the draft, it’d be fantastic if Paton played the trade down game in April. If he can somehow get an extra 2022 1st or 2nd while still making 10+ picks this year, what a great situation we’d be in for a Deshaun push. 

Believe me, any forward thinking Bronco fan should never wish for this to happen - but it certainly doesn’t hurt and can only help our chances, should this situation resolve favorably or at least without career-threatening findings.  

Watson or no Watson if we want to ensure we can address QB in the likely event Lock isn’t the top 5-8 guy we need to directly compete with Mahomes / Herbert long term - moving back for early 2022 picks makes too much sense.  Especially if there’s a massive market for QB at 1.9 moving down goes a long way to setting us up for Watson, Wilson or the 2022 draft.   It just works out our biggest needs likely can all be met by going BPA in the 20+ range. 

Edited by Broncofan

I don’t mean to make light of the situation or give Watson a pass, but let’s not act like this isn’t a larger issue/problem. Robert Kraft anyone? How many high profile people in sports are we letting slide? The guy is obviously into the grey area, at the minimum. Where do we draw the line with players and free agents? Why is it ok to march on with Melvin Gordon? The way I’m understanding this is if Watson is still playing football (NFL doesn’t ban him) then it’s ok. I don’t know if I’m ok with this...