Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, the sweetest news we could get on Draft Day is a Chicago trade up to 1.9 for Mac Jones for 1.20, 2022 1st and anything else is gravy.   Such a good chance to land a top 10 pick next year and still address a key need.

Would love that, but I doubt it. I think Chicago may not even target a QB in this draft.

Would see what New Orleans thinks about Mac Jones tho. Good chance on landing a future 1st and a 2021 day 2 pick with them.

6 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He really is killing it, isn't he?

Other than letting Phil leave without waiting for tender offers, he's been perfect in my opinion.

But even if a team offered a tender offer like HOU - since Lindsay was a UDFA, Paton wouldn't have received anything in compensation.

Lindsay wasn't part of the 2021 plans, it's clear he wants Boone to be the backup (or 3rd RB if they draft a RB).   MG3 is done after this year, so drafting a RB is definitely the right move.    Having Lindsay back makes no sense, so I'd actually say Paton actually helped the FO's image by letting Lindsay walk with no restrictions - and helped him get paid ASAP.  That's only going to look better in the player's eyes, that the FO did Lindsay a solid as soon as they signed Boone (who I actually think will prove to be a better fit, because of his pass blocking, ST, and his 1-cut running style being an asset).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

But even if a team offered a tender offer like HOU - since Lindsay was a UDFA, Paton wouldn't have received anything in compensation.

Lindsay wasn't part of the 2021 plans, it's clear he wants Boone to be the backup (or 3rd RB if they draft a RB).   MG3 is done after this year, so drafting a RB is definitely the right move.    Having Lindsay back makes no sense, so I'd actually say Paton actually helped the FO's image by letting Lindsay walk with no restrictions - and helped him get paid ASAP.  That's only going to look better in the player's eyes, that the FO did Lindsay a solid as soon as they signed Boone (who I actually think will prove to be a better fit, because of his pass blocking, ST, and his 1-cut running style being an asset).

I think you can almost pencil a RB in with that 40th overall pick and maybe even earlier if we trade back.

Paton comes from a Minnesota team who only really played well in the last decade when either AP or Dalvin Cook were balling out, I think he will want a really good RB. Melvin Gordon is pretty average and Boone is a decent rotational back/special teamer, but I think the top RB of the future isn't on the team yet.

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

I think you can almost pencil a RB in with that 40th overall pick and maybe even earlier if we trade back.

Paton comes from a Minnesota team who only really played well in the last decade when either AP or Dalvin Cook were balling out, I think he will want a really good RB. Melvin Gordon is pretty average and Boone is a decent rotational back/special teamer, but I think the top RB of the future isn't on the team yet.

As long as Javon Williams is there, I can dig it (I think Harris & Etienne go before him).    

Just now, Broncofan said:

As long as Javon Williams is there, I can dig it (I think Harris & Etienne go before him).    

Etienne/Harris after a trade back in play or Williams at 40.

Personally I don't think you should take a RB until the 4th round, but I think Paton is likely to value them higher than that.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

But the fact is, Lindsay on a UDFA tender is a bargain so we should have waited for another team to offer in my opinion.

Im taking sentiment out of it. Good on us for doing right by Phil, but it's a business - I think we should have waited for the tender offers and taken it from there.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Man, I really hope CHI makes a splash move for a QB with us and moves up from 1.20 to 1.9.   Their whole offseason is moving the wrong way.    I like Attachou as a 3rd rusher alongside Quinn, but other than Attachou, these are their FA moves:

Dalton - QB 

Re-signed Ifedi - T

Signed Elijah Wilkinson - swing G/T

Signed CB Desmond Trufant to replace Kyle Fuller

That's not exactly a massive upgrade, on a team that outperformed its talent to an improbable 2nd place finish.  If there's a team set up to go 5-6W's and get a top 10 pick out of all the playoff teams from last year who might trade up for 1.9, it's Chicago.

Pace is a terrible GM. Has been for some time. I remember a few years ago when they traded up for Trubisky with Maholmes and Watson on the board. I remember watching that draft at my bar and saying to some friends that if I was old lady McCaskey, I’d fire Pace that night. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Pace is a terrible GM. Has been for some time. I remember a few years ago when they traded up for Trubisky with Maholmes and Watson on the board. I remember watching that draft at my bar and saying to some friends that if I was old lady McCaskey, I’d fire Pace that night. 

Teams can benefit off bad GM desperation.  MIA / Tannebaum, HOU / BOB, and now CHI / Pace.    That would be our dream scenario his desperation in getting QB addressed to save his job, that he moves up from 1.20 to 1.9.   That's costing at least 2022 1st, and maybe more, if it's a QB.   And the GM who likely isn't around in 2022 won't care about their 2022 cost.   Hearing that Paton would like to move down, that's a clear team/GM to target.

26 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Great job bringing Kareem back. Paton is killing it this off-season and all the radio can talk about is that we didn’t sign a QB. 

I can see their point though.  Why waste the money on bringing in the FA if we are not going to win now?  Cause Lock is not going to take this team to the playoffs.  I am hoping with all these signings, we were going after Watson, but now with his issues I don't know.  

If it was me making the decisions, I would not be relying on Lock to improve this year.  I would of signed Simmons to a long contract and depth at other positions, but wouldn't of brought back Jackson or signed Darby.  I would of filled my needs in the draft and then waited till next year to get my QB.  I mean why bring Jackson back on a 1 year deal if you didn't think you were going to try to win this year?  Why not just bring in a younger guy to gain experience?  Even if Lock does improve Denver can't be expecting him to get them too far.  They may luck out by squeaking into the playoffs, but I don't see them getting past first round.  What does that get us?  A low pick in the draft.  I rather just play with what we have and then get a high pick next year and try to grab a QB.  I guess that is why I am not the GM.  I have my fingers crossed that everything works out.  

Having said that I do think Paton is doing a good job and excited to see what he can do over the next few years. 

29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Teams can benefit off bad GM desperation.  MIA / Tannebaum, HOU / BOB, and now CHI / Pace.    That would be our dream scenario his desperation in getting QB addressed to save his job, that he moves up from 1.20 to 1.9.   That's costing at least 2022 1st, and maybe more, if it's a QB.   And the GM who likely isn't around in 2022 won't care about their 2022 cost.   Hearing that Paton would like to move down, that's a clear team/GM to target.

Yeah I’ll take it. However, the Bears are my second team so I’d prefer Paton to fleece someone else in the same range. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2