Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he just retires. It’s clear his heart isn’t in it and he had a year off to re-enforce that. Don’t know how that affects his guaranteed money but I do think they just need to move on. 

The RT saga with this team continues to be insane. They’ve really tried everything. They finally pay up for a good one and he decided not to play football anymore.

I did notice something in one of the last few games, I can't remember which.  They had Risner lined up at RT for some snaps. I don't know how many. That games replays were really incomplete.

If Muti's development continues it'd be natural to put him at LG and move Risner.  We didn't really see enough of Anderson to make much judgement and Wilkinson is a UFA this year. Hard to imagine Wilk being here next year.

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I did notice something in one of the last few games, I can't remember which.  They had Risner lined up at RT for some snaps. I don't know how many. That games replays were really incomplete.

If Muti's development continues it'd be natural to put him at LG and move Risner.  We didn't really see enough of Anderson to make much judgement and Wilkinson is a UFA this year. Hard to imagine Wilk being here next year.

As much as I love Bolles and Risner working together I have to think it’s something they’d at least discuss.

If Wilk has no market I really think they’ll bring him back. I feel like there’s enough evidence to suggest someone in the organization is a big advocate for him and it might even be Munchak. To his credit he looked fine at guard and improved a bit this year after the foot injury healed. But I don’t really understand the fascination either. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

As much as I love Bolles and Risner working together I have to think it’s something they’d at least discuss.

If Wilk has no market I really think they’ll bring him back. I feel like there’s enough evidence to suggest someone in the organization is a big advocate for him and it might even be Munchak. To his credit he looked fine at guard and improved a bit this year after the foot injury healed. But I don’t really understand the fascination either. 

I don't get why they are so adamant on making Wilk a RT. He was a pretty good guard and looks like one playing tackle. The biggest thing he has going for him right now is his age. At 26 with as much starting experience as he has had, he would be an ideal back up. We'll see if he's able to come back for back up money though. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I am expecting Denver takes (another) RT in the draft this year. There's some decent options in R2/R3.

I agree - there is RT value in R2 & R3.

Next season James will be off the books and if we have a RT ready to go it will ensure an good quality OL in place for the following 3/4 years at least.

Edited by jolly red giant

20 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Could you? Not many 7th rounders who aren’t interested playing football, being a good teammate or being a good person. 

He's young I get it lot of red flags but if anyone can get him on the right path it's Munchak. 

I'd also be on board with moving on from miller and landing a hason riddick. You may get a deal given he broke out and the cap is tight this year for teams.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, BroncoBruin said:

I’m not sure it’s the direction they would go in but it does bring up an interesting roster-building question: does it make more sense to build a balanced roster without exploitable weaknesses or go all-in on one overwhelming unit? The secondary is badly in need of investment but that front 7 would be a game wrecking force. But it also means you’re a Callahan injury (an annual event) away from a nightmarish group of corners in a league where good corners are more important than ever. In your scenario I probably spend that Jurrell Casey money on the cheaper Shelby + a starting caliber corner. 

It’s a good thought because outside of a Watson trade’s effect on the passing game, the front 4-5 is the group that can be elevated to greatness if you prioritize it. 

The roster building really is the question, it's a great point. In the next few months we'll learn a lot about our new GM. I've given this a lot of thought so I'm about to get real wordy. Happens once or twice a year, can't help it.

No news here, but being a bit old school I'm always a believer in the adage "the game is won and lost in the trenches". We could end up being really good there. I really like what I see on the OL. We're young, very well coached, talented, deep and have two athletic freaks, Bolles and Muti in the mix. Muti and Quentin Nelson are the only two  OG's in the league that can physically "ragdoll" 300+ lb Dt's. They are in their own class. Did I mention we've also got a mean streak? An OL of, left to right, Bolles, Muti, Cush, Glas and Risner could be quite nasty. If Shurmer balances out his attack, 50/50 then even Wilk becomes a viable RT. You've got to cover Wilk up in passing downs but he's pretty good moving forward.

We're pretty stacked at the skill positions but could really use another power back/grinder. If Lock learns his place in the O and cuts down his TO's we could have a very solid , clock eating O. One that could put up 25 PPG easily.

The D is where I could see us going all in as far as talent. With Simmons and Jackson we're solid on the back end. Good pieces in the DL and LB corp with a chance to be excellent. Add a JJ Watt, draft Parsons (the best pass rushing ILB I've seen for years) and we could end up with a devastating front 7. CB wouldn't be a strength but if you're only covering press for a couple of seconds (see 85 Bears, 2020 TB) you can do the job.

Anyway, thats just one idea. As you say, roster building is the question. I just don't see us going all in as a "QB centered team". A Fangio D with some talent additions and a balanced WCO and we're a serious contender. Shurmer I think is smart enough to tailor the offense to his talent and Fangio? Well, he's as good as they get in dialing up a D.

Thats it. It'll be a while before I get this wordy again.  I'm all for giving Kolar and Munchak, our two best position coaches the ammunition they need and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 12:39 AM, AKRNA said:

The roster building really is the question, it's a great point. In the next few months we'll learn a lot about our new GM. I've given this a lot of thought so I'm about to get real wordy. Happens once or twice a year, can't help it.

No news here, but being a bit old school I'm always a believer in the adage "the game is won and lost in the trenches". We could end up being really good there. I really like what I see on the OL. We're young, very well coached, talented, deep and have two athletic freaks, Bolles and Muti in the mix. Muti and Quentin Nelson are the only two  OG's in the league that can physically "ragdoll" 300+ lb Dt's. They are in their own class. Did I mention we've also got a mean streak? An OL of, left to right, Bolles, Muti, Cush, Glas and Risner could be quite nasty. If Shurmer balances out his attack, 50/50 then even Wilk becomes a viable RT. You've got to cover Wilk up in passing downs but he's pretty good moving forward.

We're pretty stacked at the skill positions but could really use another power back/grinder. If Lock learns his place in the O and cuts down his TO's we could have a very solid , clock eating O. One that could put up 25 PPG easily.

The D is where I could see us going all in as far as talent. With Simmons and Jackson we're solid on the back end. Good pieces in the DL and LB corp with a chance to be excellent. Add a JJ Watt, draft Parsons (the best pass rushing ILB I've seen for years) and we could end up with a devastating front 7. CB wouldn't be a strength but if you're only covering press for a couple of seconds (see 85 Bears, 2020 TB) you can do the job.

Anyway, thats just one idea. As you say, roster building is the question. I just don't see us going all in as a "QB centered team". A Fangio D with some talent additions and a balanced WCO and we're a serious contender. Shurmer I think is smart enough to tailor the offense to his talent and Fangio? Well, he's as good as they get in dialing up a D.

Thats it. It'll be a while before I get this wordy again.  I'm all for giving Kolar and Munchak, our two best position coaches the ammunition they need and let the chips fall where they may.

I agree with this entire post, except I would say I think we can do both- i.e. I think we can build a strong defense and still be QB centric. I am expecting the draft to be incredibly defense heavy this year and probably next given the makeup of the roster currently. In the event we don't land a premium QB this year and Lock doesn't improve in 2021, it's all but a certainty IMO, that we would go after someone next year. In that case, you end up with hopefully a balanced team, and a QB with potential.