Broncos Free Agency Thread

AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Based on some of the media reports, it sounds like Denver will endeavor to get younger through FA. I expect most of our signings to be younger, multi-year guys. So that would rule out players like Patrick Peterson for example. I don't hate the approach.

I would have always considered FA as a mechanism to fill an immediate gap - a veteran on a short-term contract. Signing younger guys to multi-year deals can lead to cap problems down the line. 

Now - one reason why it could work this year is because of the reduced cap space and the fact that it is a buyer's market - it might be possible to pick up some younger guys on reasonable contracts, but it should not be done on the basis of a big signing bonus than would kick the cap problem down the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

I would have always considered FA as a mechanism to fill an immediate gap - a veteran on a short-term contract. Signing younger guys to multi-year deals can lead to cap problems down the line. 

Now - one reason why it could work this year is because of the reduced cap space and the fact that it is a buyer's market - it might be possible to pick up some younger guys on reasonable contracts, but it should not be done on the basis of a big signing bonus than would kick the cap problem down the road.

I would also take it to mean that we're going to play a wait-and-see approach and not go for any big splashes. Look for younger, budget guys that have showed promise but aren't lauded among the media. I have a feeling the plan is to get younger and cheaper in hopes we compete this year and towards the goal of having extra picks and cash for 2022..

Obviously, landing Watson somehow would throw this plan out the window. 

FWIW Paton confirmed what most expected - Lindsay, Patrick and Alexander Johnson are all getting RFA tenders.  The question is whether or not it's a original round tender - which for all UFA's,there's none.    So it's a bidding contest of who wants to pay more than 2.1M.   Or a 2nd round tender, for just under 3.4M, and a team that signs said player gives up a 2nd.

I'm guessing that Patrick & Alexander get 2nd round tenders, and Lindsay might be the odd man out and let the market decide (given Paton's explanation).    Guess we'll find out soon enough (deadline is March 18, 4 PM ET).

Edited by Broncofan

I’d give all three of them second round tenders, they all have a role to play.

Johnson is no Ray Lewis, but he’s a lot better than the scrubs we’ve been rolling out at ILB for years.

Lindsay can win a game on his own when he runs at tired defenders. I don’t believe in paying vet RBs long term but I’d milk his RFA year then let him walk. 

Patrick is really underrated and with him, Sutton and Jeudy we have a talented young WR Brie. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I’d give all three of them second round tenders, they all have a role to play.

Johnson is no Ray Lewis, but he’s a lot better than the scrubs we’ve been rolling out at ILB for years.

Lindsay can win a game on his own when he runs at tired defenders. I don’t believe in paying vet RBs long term but I’d milk his RFA year then let him walk. 

Patrick is really underrated and with him, Sutton and Jeudy we have a talented young WR Brie. 

Agreed on all counts. Want to see AJ stick around. Lindsay gets a lot of love because of the local connection, but a 2-down back in a 3rd down back build isn't going to get you paid. I like Lindsay, think his story is a great one, but he's not an NFL feature back. He's fine as part of a tandem. I expect we play out that last year of the tender and either draft someone this year or next to take over the reins.

Tim Patrick is a sneaky good WR. The kind of #2/#3 guy you absolutely need in the NFL to be successful. Big body in the end zone, good hands, solid sideline skills. 

12 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

How do you know they don’t prefer Darnold?

Just my observation, but I get your point. What makes you think he IS better than Lock ? My question, why give a positive WR for a QB who got you the 2nd overall pick ?? Guess you can just blame Gase...

1 minute ago, Cutler06 said:

Just my observation, but I get your point. What makes you think he IS better than Lock ? My question, why give a positive WR for a QB who got you the 2nd overall pick ?? Guess you can just blame Gase...

I don’t know that he is better than Lock. None of this is my idea, I’m just repeating what was said on a radio program.