Jaguars to hire Darrell Bevell as OC

pwny

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, they'd be dumb to let him walk but seems there's a chance, albeit slight.

We'll see what Detroit decided to do. But he would be near the top of my FA wish list. I want as good of protection and weapons for Lawrence from the jump as possible.

I'm leaning arob and godwin over him.  Unsure on juju

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Fine with both. Like @DuvalsKing said I'd hope the social media/prediction things go away especially since he'd be moving to a team that isnt nearly as good and we dont need a target on our back right off the bat

Well I’m also concerned by the fact his production has gone down every year since his rookie season. Not exactly production I want to spend top dollar on.

24 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Well I’m also concerned by the fact his production has gone down every year since his rookie season. Not exactly production I want to spend top dollar on.

2 years ago Big Ben got hurt, tough to bounce back with Mason Rudolph at QB and last year they did sling it a ton but Claypool and Johnson took some too. Tough to say there

One of the good things really with all three of our coordinators is that there’s really no concern that some other team is going to poach them regardless of how good they are 

As long as they’re good, and that’s still a question, they can stay here and run the same scheme for as long as it takes. And keeping Trevor from having to switch schemes every other year is going to be a big part of keeping his development on track. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pwny said:

One of the good things really with all three of our coordinators is that there’s really no concern that some other team is going to poach them regardless of how good they are 

As long as they’re good, and that’s still a question, they can stay here and run the same scheme for as long as it takes. And keeping Trevor from having to switch schemes every other year is going to be a big part of keeping his development on track. 

This is why I was clamoring for someone who wasn’t a coordinator because I figured a guy with some experience if he’d hit with Trevor within 3 yrs someone would come calling for them to be a HC. But this works out fine as well I didn’t really think a guy like Bevell was even in play but if we had Blaine on the horizon you probably don’t get Bevell with the opportunity to work with a prospect like Trevor doesn’t come around that often.. I’m curious to see what they cook up on offense. Cullen I’m a little nervous about because he hasn’t done it I say that to say when he was here before we ran a 43 but he just came from a 34 scheme I’m interested in what he is going to do on defense. I’m kind of optimistically terrified. 🤣

I like it.  I know Seahawks fans will never cease to smear his name around...but the dude's "Russell Wilson" project seemed to work out pretty well.  I could go for some of that.  Seems like a really good fit for Lawrence's game too.

The only real black mark, is that his offense did get stale and frustrating by the end of his tenure in Seattle.  But that's gonna happen in most cases, eventually.  It's just natural, that you do occasionally need some new and fresh ideas and perspectives coming in after a while.

15 hours ago, pwny said:

Yeah.  This is a great point.  It's huge in today's NFL, to be able to hold onto good coordinators.  In a lot of respects, i think top quality coordinators can be just as valuable as the HC.  But with the way teams turn over staff these days...it's not long before most of the good ones get stolen away for a shot at an HC gig.  Whereas with a guy like Bevel...i really don't see him being a big target, even if he's wildly successful here with Lawrence and Meyer.

I'm not really sure what to think of this hire.  He was the OC in Minnesota for four years and he was so unmemorable I had to look up his name to make sure he was actually the one I was thinking of.  I wouldn't say he was bad, per se, but he wasn't spectacular either.  The one word I could use to describe my memories of his time in Minnesota was "meh."  Solid, but not what you would consider state of the art new and unique.

On a positive note, one thing I will say is that he did coordinate one of the best offenses the Vikings have had in a long time in 2009.  Part of that was very likely the presence of QB Brett Favre and a hugely talented team.  They had a future Hall of Fame running back (Adrian Peterson), two good young receivers (Percy Harvin & Sidney Rice) and a good offensive line. 

The nice thing is that Jacksonville will be able to provide him with a QB with Brett Favre potential, a very good young RB with James Robinson, and two very capable receivers in Chark and Shenault.  Add a couple of pieces to the offensive line and Bevel should be able to help us put a good offense on the field.

41 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm not really sure what to think of this hire.  He was the OC in Minnesota for four years and he was so unmemorable I had to look up his name to make sure he was actually the one I was thinking of.  I wouldn't say he was bad, per se, but he wasn't spectacular either.  The one word I could use to describe my memories of his time in Minnesota was "meh."  Solid, but not what you would consider state of the art new and unique.

On a positive note, one thing I will say is that he did coordinate one of the best offenses the Vikings have had in a long time in 2009.  Part of that was very likely the presence of QB Brett Favre and a hugely talented team.  They had a future Hall of Fame running back (Adrian Peterson), two good young receivers (Percy Harvin & Sidney Rice) and a good offensive line. 

The nice thing is that Jacksonville will be able to provide him with a QB with Brett Favre potential, a very good young RB with James Robinson, and two very capable receivers in Chark and Shenault.  Add a couple of pieces to the offensive line and Bevel should be able to help us put a good offense on the field.

Idk, the man had Gus Ferotte and Tavaris Jackson for his first two years at QB then the corpse of Brett Favre in 2010. Not sure what he really could've done there.

He was the OC the year of you're deep playoff run with Favre in 2009 when bounty gate happened.