The Cap Situation

WindyCity

I expect it will be higher than 176. But it will not be what it should be. The Broncos player rep said he expects it to be mid 180s.

The owners are not going to move that much. At some point the lost revenue has to come out of the cap.

Regardless of what money is coming, the owners are not going to eat the entire Covid loss.

• Like 1

Fishbain did a really good piece on the athletic going over the cap and this offseason. It involved extending hicks and fuller to lower their cap numbers, signing Arob, the usual cuts - skrine, graham, massie. he brought in a cap guy to help figure out some of the numbers. i would recommend taking a look if you have a subscription

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 9:29 PM, WindyCity said:

I expect it will be higher than 176. But it will not be what it should be. The Broncos player rep said he expects it to be mid 180s.

The owners are not going to move that much. At some point the lost revenue has to come out of the cap.

Regardless of what money is coming, the owners are not going to eat the entire Covid loss.

bingo

On 1/29/2021 at 9:54 AM, WindyCity said:

There is an argument for letting Robinson leave

-His franchise tag number will decimate their free agent budget.

-3rd round comp pick would not be hard to protect

Without Robinson your WRs are Miller, Mooney and Ridley.  That is unacceptably thin and mediocre unless you are tanking which they are opposed to.  

You have to acquire someone else good if you let Robinson go, even then Robinson and Mooney have to stay healthy and Mooney is really small.

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Without Robinson your WRs are Miller, Mooney and Ridley.  That is unacceptably thin and mediocre unless you are tanking which they are opposed to.  

You have to acquire someone else good if you let Robinson go, even then Robinson and Mooney have to stay healthy and Mooney is really small.

Or...Get Taysom Hill and run the triple option. 

Yeah ok, we need more WR talent. 

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Or...Get Taysom Hill and run the triple option. 

Yeah ok, we need more WR talent. 

And QB and O line and depth across board which is poor, but other than that ...

But hey trade 3 drafts of talent for a QB to try to save face in 2021.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

And QB and O line and depth across board which is poor, but other than that ...

But hey trade 3 drafts of talent for a QB to try to save face in 2021.

Yep. I've been with you on lack of OT talent being drafted for years. I know there would have been misses but I'm pretty adamant about getting 1 in the first 4 rounds every year. At minimum you get interior depth and can focus on band aids for OT depth in FA until you make it a higher priority. 

• Like 1

Until it’s official I have a hard time believing this cap squeeze will really come to fruition unless there’s some kind of hardship one-time reprieve for teams. Something has to happen with the cap or we’re going to see unprecedented player movement. They can’t realistically set the cap at $185M for 2021 when teams spent the past 2-3 years budgeting their rosters around a ~$210M cap for 2021 and just be like 🤷‍♂️. As of today 13 of 32 teams wouldn’t even be able to sign their draft classes. NO is $78M over even after Brees’ move last week and would need to cut half their roster to get cap compliant. Cutting some of their biggest salaries (Thomas, Peat, Jenkins and Demario Davis) would actually make their cap hits go UP. Cutting Cam Jordan’s $18.9M only gives a $2M savings. Cutting Lattimore and Kwon Alexander would save them $24M against the cap and they’d still be $50+M over.

They're not alone either. Rams $34M over. GB $29M. PIT $20M. KC $11M. These top of the league teams gonna just have to cut all their top paid guys so they can sign with the teams that stashed away money hoping to bottom out at a fortuitous time? I can’t see it going that way. It’s bad for the league as a whole if KC and LAR and PIT and NO have to take their rosters down to the studs. High end players who can’t find jobs making market rate? C’mon. 

The owners crying poor after last year is a crock anyway. $9.5B in tv revenue split 32 ways is nearly $297M per team. Teams still made merchandise revenue. Most if not all teams undoubtedly made money on investment income like every other giant corporation does. Nobody lost money - they just didn’t make as much as they were expecting. They lost game day revenue which is about 15% of what they make annually, and even that was mitigated somewhat by not incurring game day expenses. They want to recoup their decreased revenue (because that’s what it is) from 2020, but at the end of the day probably not at the gross expense of the league’s product because that’d be worse for their long term profits. These billionaire owners didn’t become billionaires by accident. Lurie and Rooney and Mara and Hunt and Blank aren’t gonna just stand by and watch their franchise value go down because they made $30-40M less for one year while still being highly profitable.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Until it’s official I have a hard time believing this cap squeeze will really come to fruition unless there’s some kind of hardship one-time reprieve for teams. Something has to happen with the cap or we’re going to see unprecedented player movement. They can’t realistically set the cap at $185M for 2021 when teams spent the past 2-3 years budgeting their rosters around a ~$210M cap for 2021 and just be like 🤷‍♂️. As of today 13 of 32 teams wouldn’t even be able to sign their draft classes. NO is $78M over even after Brees’ move last week and would need to cut half their roster to get cap compliant. Cutting some of their biggest salaries (Thomas, Peat, Jenkins and Demario Davis) would actually make their cap hits go UP. Cutting Cam Jordan’s $18.9M only gives a $2M savings. Cutting Lattimore and Kwon Alexander would save them $24M against the cap and they’d still be $50+M over.

They're not alone either. Rams $34M over. GB $29M. PIT $20M. KC $11M. These top of the league teams gonna just have to cut all their top paid guys so they can sign with the teams that stashed away money hoping to bottom out at a fortuitous time? I can’t see it going that way. It’s bad for the league as a whole if KC and LAR and PIT and NO have to take their rosters down to the studs. High end players who can’t find jobs making market rate? C’mon. 

The owners crying poor after last year is a crock anyway. $9.5B in tv revenue split 32 ways is nearly $297M per team. Teams still made merchandise revenue. Most if not all teams undoubtedly made money on investment income like every other giant corporation does. Nobody lost money - they just didn’t make as much as they were expecting. They lost game day revenue which is about 15% of what they make annually, and even that was mitigated somewhat by not incurring game day expenses. They want to recoup their decreased revenue (because that’s what it is) from 2020, but at the end of the day probably not at the gross expense of the league’s product because that’d be worse for their long term profits. These billionaire owners didn’t become billionaires by accident. Lurie and Rooney and Mara and Hunt and Blank aren’t gonna just stand by and watch their franchise value go down because they made $30-40M less for one year while still being highly profitable.  

Anyone worried about the cap this year is just looking for reasons to *****. 

EDIT: It's not going to be what it was supposed to be but owners are not going to bottleneck teams like some seem to think. That's just bad business. 

Owners will feel better when the new TV deal is done.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

On 2/2/2021 at 1:40 PM, Sugashane said:

Yep. I've been with you on lack of OT talent being drafted for years. I know there would have been misses but I'm pretty adamant about getting 1 in the first 4 rounds every year. At minimum you get interior depth and can focus on band aids for OT depth in FA until you make it a higher priority. 

But what about if a cornerback falls?

Silly Sugashane...

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Until it’s official I have a hard time believing this cap squeeze will really come to fruition unless there’s some kind of hardship one-time reprieve for teams. Something has to happen with the cap or we’re going to see unprecedented player movement.   

That's a good point. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. It would be bad for the league if there was that much chaos. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Schefter is reporting 181 for the cap. That is ungood for the Bears. It is going to cause the Eagles and Saints real issues. 

Half the league is totally screwed at 181 unless they build in some sort of economy hardship clause that lets teams have some kind of one year option to allocate portions of their dead cap hits to future years or something. We’d see elite level face-of-the-franchise players having to be cut all over the place with limited places for them to go and be paid along the lines of their value. Not only is that bad for business for everyone, but the NFLPA will take huge issue with it. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Half the league is totally screwed at 181 unless they build in some sort of economy hardship clause that lets teams have some kind of one year option to allocate portions of their dead cap hits to future years or something. We’d see elite level face-of-the-franchise players having to be cut all over the place with limited places for them to go and be paid along the lines of their value. Not only is that bad for business for everyone, but the NFLPA will take huge issue with it. 

It would be a blood bath.