Per Chris Russell Kyle Smith to Leave Sooner Than Later

MKnight82

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Well, it’s Rivera’s show, and he’s going to bring people in that he’s comfortable with. Truth is we don’t know how much say Kyle had when Bruce or for that matter Ron ran the building. For every Kam Curl and Terry McLaurin we give him credit for, we cant blame everyone else and knock him for Guice and Haskins. 

Guice flashed and we traded back twice. The dude had issues and couldn’t get himself right mentally it’s sad but to say that he missed the pick we traded back got value and if it wasn’t for bad luck and a guy who just couldn’t escape himself he took a gamble and missed. But when on the field Guice flashed. That’s not really a miss. Just sucks. And come on with Haskins that’s a Snyder

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Average headcoach surrounding himself with average to below average front office personnel. What could possibly go wrong? 

Thats where it doesnt matter. Dans banking the same regardless. So nobodies going to start caring until multiple years of picking top 5. Going 7-9 or 14-2 is all the same.

What I keep saying. Its not a sport for this team. Its a business to make Dan money. Winning and all that kind of mess. Hes tossed that in Rons lap and walked away. And Ron does the predictable thing of any failure with a little power. Surrounding himself with his buddies instead of talent.

And to edit in: Like ripsean21. Im about done.

Edited by PARROTHEAD
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

When Rivera and Mayhew are being eschewed out of the building in 3-4 years and Kyle Smith is running some successful franchise we can all look back at this like we usually do when we as fans are left enjoying the embarrassment Snyder has put us through yet again.

Average headcoach surrounding himself with average to below average front office personnel. What could possibly go wrong? 

I'll buy that  bet. Loser eats crow.  

9 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Are we still gonna give credit to last year's draft class to Kyle? I'm having a hard time believing he had much say.

He did most of the evaluation work before Rivera was even hired so I’d give some of the credit to Kyle and his scouting staff for doing the leg work but I’d course like w/ Bruce, the final decision was Rivera’s.

8 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Are we still gonna give credit to last year's draft class to Kyle? I'm having a hard time believing he had much say.

Well the Chase pick was obvious. The AG and Curl I seriously doubt Ron was doing that type of Memphis and Arkansas work. But who knows maybe we’re over rating Kyle but I doubt that Ron was scouting with his time off

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Guice flashed and we traded back twice. The dude had issues and couldn’t get himself right mentally it’s sad but to say that he missed the pick we traded back got value and if it wasn’t for bad luck and a guy who just couldn’t escape himself he took a gamble and missed. But when on the field Guice flashed. That’s not really a miss. Just sucks. And come on with Haskins that’s a Snyder

Guice can’t be thought of as a good selection. The Eagles didn’t take him bc of his off the field issues. We should’ve passed on him too. Then, Guice couldn’t stay healthy for 2 years which exacerbated the off the field problems.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

but I doubt that Ron was scouting with his time off

Nor do I want our Head Coach/GM wasting time scouting.  That would be asinine.  So I definitely give Kyle Smith credit for those picks.

All I know is the scouting department has delivered a higher than average hit percentage on picks beyond day 1 and day 2 for that matter.  Kyle Smith appears good at his job and is young and could get better.  So it is unfortunate that we are losing him.

Ironically, I was actually down on Kyle Smith originally because he was part of the whole Bruce Allen buddy football connection through his daddy.  But he has delivered and hence I am now wishing he would stay.  I don't know if he could be a GM but we aren't going to have GM since a GM picks the coach and that isn't what is happening here.  It is for just that reason, that I thought Kyle Smith would be a perfect fit to pair with Rivera.  Rivera can be the big honcho in charge and Kyle Smith could focus on what he is good at, evaluating personnel.

Alas, it isn't to be.  I have little faith that Hurney is anything but a dinosaur from Rivera's past that he is doing a favor for.  If there is hope it is with Mayhew.  We can only hope Mayhew learned a lot since his go around in detroit.  I am glad he has been in some different buildings and been exposed to different ways of doing things.  He is coming into the prime of his career.  Maybe we will get his best.  But like you, I am skeptical and until he shows me something, he is not getting the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Nor do I want our Head Coach/GM wasting time scouting.  That would be asinine.  So I definitely give Kyle Smith credit for those picks.

All I know is the scouting department has delivered a higher than average hit percentage on picks beyond day 1 and day 2 for that matter.  Kyle Smith appears good at his job and is young and could get better.  So it is unfortunate that we are losing him.

Ironically, I was actually down on Kyle Smith originally because he was part of the whole Bruce Allen buddy football connection through his daddy.  But he has delivered and hence I am now wishing he would stay.  I don't know if he could be a GM but we aren't going to have GM since a GM picks the coach and that isn't what is happening here.  It is for just that reason, that I thought Kyle Smith would be a perfect fit to pair with Rivera.  Rivera can be the big honcho in charge and Kyle Smith could focus on what he is good at, evaluating personnel.

Alas, it isn't to be.  I have little faith that Hurney is anything but a dinosaur from Rivera's past that he is doing a favor for.  If there is hope it is with Mayhew.  We can only hope Mayhew learned a lot since his go around in detroit.  I am glad he has been in some different buildings and been exposed to different ways of doing things.  He is coming into the prime of his career.  Maybe we will get his best.  But like you, I am skeptical and until he shows me something, he is not getting the benefit of the doubt.

I think he’s like with the other Kyle in San Fran nepotism doesn’t matter if you’re actually good at my job.

Full disclosure my dad got me the job I have now and was my boss the first 5 years. I was qualified for it, went to college and studied it and worked at 3 jobs doing the same work so even though I definitely had the job bc I had know the President at my job and his Chief of Staff since I was 3, I was also qualified to do it and most people think I’m good at my job. I mean there’s always the haters but you just gotta brush em off you shoulders.

I don’t feel that Hurney will have much of a role on evaluating talent. I forget where I read it now, it was days ago, but in Carolina when he was first hired in the late 90s and early years 2000s when he was as a VP he shared duties with someone else and the article said he wasn’t a scouting/personnel type l, that he was more a contract negotiator and he did that same type of work when he worked for Bethard and Hurney actually started for the Redskins in the 80s and was a reporter for the team.

As you said, Mayhew is where it’s at. He’s essentially replacing Kyle Smith but will have a larger role than Kyle w/ more decision making ability but not final say, that’s still Rivera’s. 

I doubt Kyle stays on, but if he did he could just do what he’s always done, Snyder should let him keep the pay & title & he can work with Tim Grimble on college scouting and building the draft board and then present that and work with Mayhew on it when they’re all done.  

That’s probably just wishful thinking though. 

Edited by turtle28

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I doubt Kyle stays on, but if he did he could just do what he’s always done, Snyder should let him keep the pay & title & he can work with Tim Grimble on college scouting and building the draft board and then present that and work with Mayhew on it when they’re all done.  

That’s probably just wishful thinking though. 

That's not going to happen.  Kyle had someone with the same job title from another organization hired above him, and another executive brought in, all while he never even received an interview.  That's what ticks me off the most.  We won't even give an interview to the guy who has remained loyal who has worked here for three head coaches, and worked his way up the rungs.  

He's going to be gone as soon as it makes sense for his career.  I think he has to finish up with the draft, but if another team is looking to hire him now, then he's out.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Well the Chase pick was obvious. The AG and Curl I seriously doubt Ron was doing that type of Memphis and Arkansas work. But who knows maybe we’re over rating Kyle but I doubt that Ron was scouting with his time off

Even if overrating Kyle a bit. Hes just 36 and working his way into things. Hes done a lot already, and it could be until hes 40 before hes reached his top worth. Yet they let another young guy with tons of potential and talent towards what he does leave again. All cause hes not the right persons buddy. Same thing bit KOC last year has got Kyle now.

Edited by PARROTHEAD
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm never done...guys! I'll always be here.

..... unless we become the Redtails...

Then im gone like ripsean & parrot.

I don't want my team to be the butt of all jokes, after every loss.

I'm cool with Redwolves, but have other preferences.

Being what the RedTails stand for it shouldn’t be the butt of jokes, it would only be to people who didn’t know any history. It’s not my favorite name but it’s awesome what it would represent.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That's not going to happen.  Kyle had someone with the same job title from another organization hired above him, and another executive brought in, all while he never even received an interview.  That's what ticks me off the most.  We won't even give an interview to the guy who has remained loyal who has worked here for three head coaches, and worked his way up the rungs.  

He's going to be gone as soon as it makes sense for his career.  I think he has to finish up with the draft, but if another team is looking to hire him now, then he's out.  

Maybe Rivera knows things we don’t know, we don’t even know Kyle Smith. His father AJ was widely know man as a crumudgen problem all the time so much so that AJ & Marty Schottenheimer couldn’t coexist and Marty was let go for Norv Turner of all people despite Marty building a Super Bowl contender.

Maybe Kyle and Rivera really butted heads or didn’t get along, maybe Kyle leaked information to the media like about Haskins that Rivera didn’t like. We don’t know the whole story and probably never will. Ron said he wants people he could trust maybe he didn’t feel that person was Kyle. Someone said on Twitter that Kyle was the one who leaked that Dan Snyder was in the draft boardroom and made them draft Haskins and they all had settled on Savage, the FS from Maryland.

• Like 1