Our new offensive scheme under Mike LaFleur

jetjuice

Question for all. If LaFleur is going to run an O similar to SF, would Watson be a good fit?  Now before I get the “he will be a good fit in any scheme”, I am wondering at his strengths as a passer vs the O scheme LaFleur will employ. For example, if Watson is good in a vertical O and we run a WCO O, his deep ball skills will be somewhat wasted. 

23 minutes ago, xrade said:

Question for all. If LaFleur is going to run an O similar to SF, would Watson be a good fit?  Now before I get the “he will be a good fit in any scheme”, I am wondering at his strengths as a passer vs the O scheme LaFleur will employ. For example, if Watson is good in a vertical O and we run a WCO O, his deep ball skills will be somewhat wasted. 

To answer this easily... Watson fits every system. He can throw, he can move and he's accurate. But for a WCO... he's great. play action suits him perfectly. 

I guess my concern, although small, is that Watson’s deep ball ability will be shunted. If LaFleur does what we hope, he will alter any preconceived scheme he has in his mind to accommodate Watson and scheme around what he does best and get the players for it. 

32 minutes ago, xrade said:

I guess my concern, although small, is that Watson’s deep ball ability will be shunted. If LaFleur does what we hope, he will alter any preconceived scheme he has in his mind to accommodate Watson and scheme around what he does best and get the players for it. 

It wouldn't, the only thing about this offense that is the same across the coaches who run it is the running game. The passing concepts vary depending on the personnel. 

My biggest concerns about this LaFleur offense revolve around it's level of conservativness. Looking at some of the 49ers games were they refused to let Garapolo throw the ball makes me wonder if this offense can develop a qb. This is a passing league and we desperately need to be able to utilize a qb properly.

I also wonder how close he aligns with his brother with regards to the Packers inexplicable decision to kick that fg. That was an ultra conservative call considering he had a top offense and a top qb yet still turtled.

7 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Looking at some of the 49ers games were they refused to let Garapolo throw the ball makes me wonder if this offense can develop a qb

It could be that Garapolo is just not good enough. I kind of feel the same about Sam. Why was he not allowed to audible but Flacco was? Could the lack of any semblance of a deep game be because Sam could not do it?

1 minute ago, xrade said:

It could be that Garapolo is just not good enough. I kind of feel the same about Sam. Why was he not allowed to audible but Flacco was? Could the lack of any semblance of a deep game be because Sam could not do it?

It's entirely possible that Garapolo/Sam was the issue for their teams. Hopefully it's not a LaFleur issue.

19 hours ago, xrade said:

Watson's legs would only open up the offense with more RPO, play action, designed QB runs, etc.

3 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Watson's legs would only open up the offense with more RPO, play action, designed QB runs, etc.

I hate when QB's run.  It is fine when there are yards of open grass and they slide, but I do not want a $35M QB taking unnecessary hits and that includes designed QB runs.  Ask KC fans if it was worth the first down.  That could have cost them a trip to the SB.

46 minutes ago, xrade said:

I hate when QB's run.  It is fine when there are yards of open grass and they slide, but I do not want a $35M QB taking unnecessary hits and that includes designed QB runs.  Ask KC fans if it was worth the first down.  That could have cost them a trip to the SB.

I agree 1000%. I don't want my QB running the ball. This happend to Lamar Jackson too. 

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I agree 1000%. I don't want my QB running the ball. This happend to Lamar Jackson too. 

What happens to Balt. when Jackson tears an ACL or worse?  He is not the best passer maybe average at best. Balt will be stuck with a broken QB they will be paying a lot of $ to.

I can still picture the hit on RGlll that ended his career.

20 hours ago, drew39k said:

My biggest concerns about this LaFleur offense revolve around it's level of conservativness. Looking at some of the 49ers games were they refused to let Garapolo throw the ball makes me wonder if this offense can develop a qb. This is a passing league and we desperately need to be able to utilize a qb properly.

I also wonder how close he aligns with his brother with regards to the Packers inexplicable decision to kick that fg. That was an ultra conservative call considering he had a top offense and a top qb yet still turtled.

For the second part Saleh would decide whether we kick or not. 

As for passing Matt lets Rodgers throw it because he can, Jimmy G cant at that level and thats always been one of the things holding back the offense in SF. In the Super Bowl right at the half Shanahan had 3 TOs left with the ball and conceded to the half, that said everything you needed to hear about his faith in Jimmy G. On the flip side against the Pats in the SB instead of him keeping the ball on the ground and killing clock he let Ryan throw in key situations because he trusted him to make those throws. 

According to everything I've been reading all three QB's would benefit from the west coast system Watson, Darnold, and Wilson.

The 3 questions then becomes, can we get/afford Watson?

Do we ride it out for one year with Darnold and pass on a good QB class?

Do we start afresh with Wilson and give Saleh a clean slate to work with?

On 1/29/2021 at 1:23 PM, xrade said:

Even just the threat of the run opens it up, with or without him actually running.