Our new offensive scheme under Mike LaFleur

jetjuice

6 hours ago, Big T said:

According to everything I've been reading all three QB's would benefit from the west coast system Watson, Darnold, and Wilson.

The 3 questions then becomes, can we get/afford Watson?

Do we ride it out for one year with Darnold and pass on a good QB class?

Do we start afresh with Wilson and give Saleh a clean slate to work with?

Yes

No

Maybe

8 hours ago, Big T said:

According to everything I've been reading all three QB's would benefit from the west coast system Watson, Darnold, and Wilson.

The 3 questions then becomes, can we get/afford Watson?

Do we ride it out for one year with Darnold and pass on a good QB class?

Do we start afresh with Wilson and give Saleh a clean slate to work with?

I think we can afford Watson. Three firsts plus Sam should be enough if he makes Houston trade him. In that scenario we should be able to lure Allen Robinson in to help at wr. We should also still be able to grab a guy like Thuney to bolster the OL. We could then use our high second on Etienne Harris or Sermon with the expectation that atleast one of them would be available at that point. Those moves immediately turn this offense around with lots of picks to beef up depth and defense.

If Watson isn't available I want us to retain Darnold and sign Mariotta or Winston to compete for the job. Trade out of two for some additional picks. Draft Jamar Chase or Devonta Smith. Sign Thuney. Use the seattle pick to get maybe a TE or a CB. Second rounder should still get an RB. This sets us up with a strong offensive core and the first round ammo to move up in next year's draft to sign a QB if Darnold/Mariotta/Winston flame out.

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

I think we can afford Watson. Three firsts plus Sam should be enough if he makes Houston trade him. In that scenario we should be able to lure Allen Robinson in to help at wr. We should also still be able to grab a guy like Thuney to bolster the OL. We could then use our high second on Etienne Harris or Sermon with the expectation that atleast one of them would be available at that point. Those moves immediately turn this offense around with lots of picks to beef up depth and defense.

If Watson isn't available I want us to retain Darnold and sign Mariotta or Winston to compete for the job. Trade out of two for some additional picks. Draft Jamar Chase or Devonta Smith. Sign Thuney. Use the seattle pick to get maybe a TE or a CB. Second rounder should still get an RB. This sets us up with a strong offensive core and the first round ammo to move up in next year's draft to sign a QB if Darnold/Mariotta/Winston flame out.

Great. We can lose games 40–24. That’s one plan to secure a top 5 pick next year. 

23 minutes ago, Big T said:

I'm sorry, and your reasoning for such loses?

I was replying to Drew. According to his post, we would give up 3 FRP and then go all offense. Maybe a CB at 23. Sure we will score points but we will give up a ton. Do you agree with giving up all that high end draft capital AND go offense heavy in the draft?

56 minutes ago, xrade said:

I was replying to Drew. According to his post, we would give up 3 FRP and then go all offense. Maybe a CB at 23. Sure we will score points but we will give up a ton. Do you agree with giving up all that high end draft capital AND go offense heavy in the draft?

The Jets have 6 draft picks AFTER round two. That's plenty of ammo the grab some useful players on the defensive side of the ball.  They are also getting Mosely back and guys like Q, Huff, Hall and Austin all have another year of xp under their belt. We'd also still have the ability to sign some guys in FA on D.

It's also important to note that a more effective offense also helps the defense. Reduced turnovers and longer drives keep the defense rested and for opposing offenses to have to work from worse starting field positions. 

We should also have better coaching schemes.

I'm not sure what the logic is for going extreme and suggesting we will lose all these games 40-20.

15 hours ago, drew39k said:

Why is everyones plan to trade up next year for a QB?  Serious question.  We have a great prospect in Wilson sitting there where we won't have to trade anything to land yet people want to pass on him in hopes that another teams wants to trade with us next year.  What if another doesn't want to trade down?  What if there is competition for trading up and we have to overpay?

It's like everyone's plan is to become the Bears.  Let's get a good team and not have a QB.

Why can't we just take the good QB prospect now and then spend all the other boatload of assets we have to build around him?  We are in the driver seat and people seem to want to get out and let someone else drive.

If we pass on a QB now and Sam or whoever falls flat next year we are in a terrible position.  We'll be stuck scrambling to move up in hopes another team will play ball or finding the next retread.  I mean giving Lafleur Wilson to mold day one sounds so much better.  We'll have maybe 5 more top 100 picks to use this year when we trade Sam, a ton of cap, and a great QB prospect to build around.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why is everyones plan to trade up next year for a QB?  Serious question.  We have a great prospect in Wilson sitting there where we won't have to trade anything to land yet people want to pass on him in hopes that another teams wants to trade with us next year.  What if another doesn't want to trade down?  What if there is competition for trading up and we have to overpay?

It's like everyone's plan is to become the Bears.  Let's get a good team and not have a QB.

Why can't we just take the good QB prospect now and then spend all the other boatload of assets we have to build around him?  We are in the driver seat and people seem to want to get out and let someone else drive.

If we pass on a QB now and Sam or whoever falls flat next year we are in a terrible position.  We'll be stuck scrambling to move up in hopes another team will play ball or finding the next retread.  I mean giving Lafleur Wilson to mold day one sounds so much better.  We'll have maybe 5 more top 100 picks to use this year when we trade Sam, a ton of cap, and a great QB prospect to build around.

Play it out man. If we use our draft capital on Wilson or Fields and they fail we are set back another three to five years. They are equally as likely to succeed of fail as Sam/Mariotta/Winston. 

If we go the Darnold/Mariotta/Winston route we get to use our draft capital to make the rest of the team better. Which, if it helps one of them succeed and develop into the star QB they were capable of then we are set.

If they fail, we are only set back one year instead of 3-5 years.

How Jets would it be for us to Dump Darnold, draft Wilson or Fields and find out that the Jets were the problem because the rookie QB flames out and Sam shines. Remember we just had the worst head coach in our franchises existence. An epically bad coach that has a track record of players playing better away from him.

10 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Play it out man. If we use our draft capital on Wilson or Fields and they fail we are set back another three to five years. They are equally as likely to succeed of fail as Sam/Mariotta/Winston. 

If we go the Darnold/Mariotta/Winston route we get to use our draft capital to make the rest of the team better. Which, if it helps one of them succeed and develop into the star QB they were capable of then we are set.

If they fail, we are only set back one year instead of 3-5 years.

How Jets would it be for us to Dump Darnold, draft Wilson or Fields and find out that the Jets were the problem because the rookie QB flames out and Sam shines. Remember we just had the worst head coach in our franchises existence. An epically bad coach that has a track record of players playing better away from him.

Not sure how retreads with a history of failures in the NFl have the same chance of succeeding as a rookie but ok.

So now we have a solid squad, good coaching and we are picking let's say somewhere from 10 to 15 next year.  Sam was better but still in the bottom third of QBs.  Now what?

Hoping that we can trade up?  Hoping a QB falls?  Trading for a old vet we think can open a window for 4-5 years?  

Edited by Rockice_8

14 hours ago, drew39k said:

The Jets have 6 draft picks AFTER round two. That's plenty of ammo the grab some useful players on the defensive side of the ball.  They are also getting Mosely back and guys like Q, Huff, Hall and Austin all have another year of xp under their belt. We'd also still have the ability to sign some guys in FA on D.

It's also important to note that a more effective offense also helps the defense. Reduced turnovers and longer drives keep the defense rested and for opposing offenses to have to work from worse starting field positions. 

We should also have better coaching schemes.

I'm not sure what the logic is for going extreme and suggesting we will lose all these games 40-20.

The logic is our D sucked last year. You are banking on Hall and Austin being good CB’s. Hall showed some promise but Austin in his second season did not. A late FRP on CB will help but you also mentioned using a TE at that spot. You want a RB at 34 when we could get one later in the draft. Statistically, there is little production difference between RBs in first two rounds and day 3. You are expecting Mosley to play well after missing two seasons in a new D. Who will play OLB and DE, day three picks?

Your plan has the Jets treating the D like Mac treated the O these past few years. It did not work then and it will not work now. Balance is the right way to approach it.  

On 1/30/2021 at 7:15 PM, xrade said:

I think the draft capitol will be high regardless. I think that giving up those 1st rounders would be essential in obtaining Watson. As for going heavy on the offensive side of the ball. I think we have 1 very reliable player in Crowder, and a future star in Mims.

I think we could shore up the receiving corps with a FA signing like Robinson, but we could draft a TE like Hunter to or Friermouth. But we have to address the other elephant in the room which is the defense.

My second round pick this year would be Zavin Collins OLB, very rangy kind of player, would be an immediate plug and play type.

Who knows maybe we sign a DE to rush the passer, especially if one gets cut in Texas.

Theres a bunch of stuff that needs to go down, and if you listen to one of the Texas sports announcers who follow the team, he's asking for the moon.

If that's the case, lets move on, draft another QB or stick with Darnold (if they truly believe in him) and build up the entire team in the next 2 years and spend wisely on FA.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read an article about our PS RB Pete Guerriero. Here is an excerpt:

Guerriero, who is obviously better equipped to be in a scat back role than a workhorse option, is a good fit for an outside zone system. This fits in with what the Jets did last season and they should do more, not less, of that with the coaching staff they’ve brought in

I think we all kind of forgot about him. I am not suggesting he will even make the roster, but he is someone who may sneak on because of his scheme fit. 

Been watching videos on OL technique for wide zone. Requires some discipline and lateral quickness. Fant and Becton seem like good fits for that style run blocking, but the rest of the line not so much. I know this board loves Elfein for some reason but I thought he wasn't great as a Jet and failed to impress in this style blocking with Minnesota.

I think we're looking at a minimum of 2/3 new starters on the interior Oline.

Edited by Sandwhich2