Patriots hire Matt Patricia to "help coach in a variety of roles"

RaidersAreOne

Sad Cartoon GIF

I hated him as a DC.. and i'm not happy about having him back.. but if he isn't the DC i guess it could be worse. Sounds like Evan was his version of Ernie Adams too.. the more guys researching players to fix our drafting the better. Just don't let our defense go back to the Patricia days.. 

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Rather see Mayo get promoted to DC.

BB's kid calls plays so he is pretty much the de facto DC at this point. I don't think Patricia comes back as the DC.. it seems like he is going to be more of the do it all guy for the defense to help out the coordinators ( given that Mayo / Steve / Brian are so young and could likely use help coaching the team). 

Robert Kraft seems to pay Josh as if he is a low level HC .. so it wouldn't be surprising if Patricia got paid big bucks to be an "assistant to the HC" type of guy 

I think Patricia is a very smart coach. He just isn't a head coach. I don't think he was brought back to be a DC, he is just a guy that Bill knows well and a guy that pays attention to details. Its also likely the only job he could find at this point.

21 hours ago, jofos said:

I think Patricia is a very smart coach. He just isn't a head coach. I don't think he was brought back to be a DC, he is just a guy that Bill knows well and a guy that pays attention to details. Its also likely the only job he could find at this point.

Umm no... Brian Flores was leaps and bounds better than him, we saw what Patricia let Nick Foles and the Eagles do to us, we also saw what Brian Flores did with essentially the same defense to the high powered Rams defense the next year. 

This guy Patricia got outcoached by Romeo Crennel this year... The amount of times you see his defense get burned on simple route concepts as happened in that game just proves he can't gameplan for s*** Just look at how bad Jamie Collins looked this year, last year he was in DPOTY conversations this year he was getting burned by Duke Johnson for touchdowns. He got exposed without Belichik as many of Belichik's assistants do, lmao at he pays attention to detail. 

Why can't Belichik just call plays on the defensive side he doesn't even need defensive coaches he should just do it all himself, he's the greatest defensive coach of all time he doesn't need these guys especially dudes like Patrica lmao. 

• Like 1

The biggest thing with Flores is he knew when he could be aggressive.. I have no idea how Patricia ran his defense in Detroit but here he was the epitome of bend but don't break. It was a miserable defense to watch.. especially against smart offenses who knew exactly what he was going to do. 

He may be a good coach and evaluator of talent.. I really don't know... what I do know is he is a horrendous play caller so I'm happy he wont be doing that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Starless said:

I can't help but wonder how this might affect the Pats' chances of landing Stafford...

Two ways I think: 

1) Stafford doesn't have a no trade clause.. but I could see him not wanting to go  anywhere near Patricia and "The Patriot Way" .. given that Detriot seems to be mutually agreeing to this.. I figure they will trade him where he wants to go as long as the team gives them a good offer. For instance.. rumor is the 49ers offering 1st and 3rd this year with a 2nd next season.. that's a VERY strong offer imo

2) Patricia always seemed really cocky and never wanting to take blame for anything.. I can easily see him getting in BB's ear and telling him everything Stafford did wrong.. preventing them from winning and how he wasn't a team player,etc. 

16 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Two ways I think: 

1) Stafford doesn't have a no trade clause.. but I could see him not wanting to go  anywhere near Patricia and "The Patriot Way" .. given that Detriot seems to be mutually agreeing to this.. I figure they will trade him where he wants to go as long as the team gives them a good offer. For instance.. rumor is the 49ers offering 1st and 3rd this year with a 2nd next season.. that's a VERY strong offer imo

2) Patricia always seemed really cocky and never wanting to take blame for anything.. I can easily see him getting in BB's ear and telling him everything Stafford did wrong.. preventing them from winning and how he wasn't a team player,etc. 

I hope it's not as bleak as you say, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

All things considered, I'd rather have Watson than Stafford, but you can certainly win a Super Bowl with a QB of Stafford's caliber if the team around him is good enough. 

• Like 1