Sean Desai Hired as DC

Madmike90

MaAIgBaS_mini.jpg

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
· 1m
Big move for the #Bears: Chicago is hiring Sean Desai to be its new defensive coordinator, sources say. To my knowledge, the first person of Indian descent to become a coordinator in the NFL. They call him “Doc” for his doctorate at Temple, now they’ll also call him DC.
Edited by Madmike90

As much as we can all take shots at this FO/HC for things we also have to give credit where it's due...this search has been done in the right way with candidates from a whole lot of backgrounds being interviewed before the internal hire was made...glad to see Desai get his shot...everything I can read up on about his says he is an excellent coach and person...hopefully he gets us back to somewhere near 2018 form.

• Like 3

I've been researching him quite a bit lately and I'm liking what I'm hearing. Teacher at heart, knows the system inside-out. He doesn't just teach coverage or pass rush, like Brandon Staley he understands how they are tied together. Fangio thought highly of him, tried to bring him to Denver but the Bears blocked it. Reportedly was Vic Fangio's "right hand man".

Said to be very intelligent and has the innate ability to take complex subject matter and condense it to easily teachable material.

I also think, as Chuck Pagano said, this is becoming a young man's game for coaches. Use innovative approaches against the Rodgers' and Mahomes' of the NFL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Good. Now bring back some aggressiveness on defense and stop throwing linebackers on WRs in man coverage. 

It wasn't just a Pagano thing...I remember Fangio used to do this also by putting guys like Mack into coverage every once in a while. Sadly I don't think that's going to go away entirely but maybe Desai comes up with his own unique way of doing things instead of just being a Fangio wannabe. It sounds like he's smart enough to try.

27 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

It wasn't just a Pagano thing...I remember Fangio used to do this also by putting guys like Mack into coverage every once in a while. Sadly I don't think that's going to go away entirely but maybe Desai comes up with his own unique way of doing things instead of just being a Fangio wannabe. It sounds like he's smart enough to try.

Fangio wasn't much of a blitzer, but I do feel like he had the defense in better position 9 times out of 10 against the offenses we faced. It'll be nice to (hopefully) see that again.

I do think Desai will put his spin on it, as all coaches do. Should be fun to see. First Indian to be a Defensive Coordinator in the NFL -- love it!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Fangio wasn't much of a blitzer, but I do feel like he had the defense in better position 9 times out of 10 against the offenses we faced. It'll be nice to (hopefully) see that again.

I do think Desai will put his spin on it, as all coaches do. Should be fun to see. First Indian to be a Defensive Coordinator in the NFL -- love it!

I did not know that.

tenor.gif

Not to be donny downer, but I'm guessing this means we are going to lose Jay Rogers, which is bad news for the defense.  And in terms of which coach has done a better job, I'm sorry it's not close.  Rogers has a legit case for best DL coach in the NFL right now, Desai, while he has been good for the other safeties, what the hell is he coaching Bojack?  Hopefully I'm wrong and Sean is fantastic.  But until proven unotherwise, it's a net negative for me.

47 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Not to be donny downer, but I'm guessing this means we are going to lose Jay Rogers, which is bad news for the defense.  And in terms of which coach has done a better job, I'm sorry it's not close.  Rogers has a legit case for best DL coach in the NFL right now, Desai, while he has been good for the other safeties, what the hell is he coaching Bojack?  Hopefully I'm wrong and Sean is fantastic.  But until proven unotherwise, it's a net negative for me.

He already left. Went to the Chargers to be the DL coach.

• Like 1