Sean Desai Hired as DC

Madmike90

27 minutes ago, FosterTheSkins said:

I'm hoping Desai brings back the aggression Fangio attacked O's with?

I should put together a montage of plays from Fangio's defense when you seen every player swarming to the ball on every tackle vs what we have seen these last 2 years and people would be surprised. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I should put together a montage of plays from Fangio's defense when you seen every player swarming to the ball on every tackle vs what we have seen these last 2 years and people would be surprised. 

Not sure you can put all of that on Pagano. 

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Never did that. Rush with 3 to 4, play coverage in the back. Dude had the #1 defense in 2018 fam.

Aggressive doesn't mean heavy blitzing.

It's taking a hard style approach and instilling into players. Much like you might see with defensive players playing hard to strip the ball instead of tackling them, knowing the swarm is around them to make up for it, or a DB being willing to chance giving up the big play to go for bat the ball or go for an INT. 

Pagano took a talented group and put them in positions to play soft instead of attacking the ball aggressively. 

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Not to be donny downer, but I'm guessing this means we are going to lose Jay Rogers, which is bad news for the defense.  And in terms of which coach has done a better job, I'm sorry it's not close.  Rogers has a legit case for best DL coach in the NFL right now, Desai, while he has been good for the other safeties, what the hell is he coaching Bojack?  Hopefully I'm wrong and Sean is fantastic.  But until proven unotherwise, it's a net negative for me.

Tough to blame the position coach for EJaxs down year when he was also coaching him in his good years.

I personally believe it has to do with scheme more than coaching. Fangio has a way of making his safeties look really good and an important part of the defense.

He did it with Eric Reid in San Fran, with EJax in Chicago and now Justin Simmons in Denver. It's no coincidence.

I think Desai calling plays will get Eddie back to playing better football because he is believed to be a disciple of the Fangio way of running defense

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Fangio was a great coach, but you could also put together montages of him giving up firsts on many 2nd or 3rd and longs on RB screens or check downs with the RB uncovered. 

Used to drive me crazy.   

On 2/10/2021 at 6:46 PM, Madmike90 said:

Really solid and smart move this considering we have a first time coordinator.

Help him learn the ropes and give him a vet to consult to....sure...I guess.  Just keep him away from player development and play calling. 

A former NFCN cast-off hire ALA Childress.

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Help him learn the ropes and give him a vet to consult to....sure...I guess.  Just keep him away from player development and play calling. 

A former NFCN cast-off hire ALA Childress.

Play calling sure...not sure what makes you mention player development though?

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not sure what makes you think otherwise.

Jaire Alexander and Darnell Savage have developed into really good NFL players under Pettine

Amos has arguably gotten better as well since moving on from Bears

The same can be said about both Zadarius Smith and Preston Smith since moving to the Packers

Kenny Clark was is still a beast. Not sure how much more you could ask for ? 

I'm not saying his play calling was ever great but he's not just some scrub coach like you're making him out to be

12 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Jaire Alexander and Darnell Savage have developed into really good NFL players under Pettine

Amos has arguably gotten better as well since moving on from Bears

The same can be said about both Zadarius Smith and Preston Smith since moving to the Packers

Kenny Clark was is still a beast. Not sure how much more you could ask for ? 

I'm not saying his play calling was ever great but he's not just some scrub coach like you're making him out to be

Your giving him far too much credit here.

Clark was already a beast before Pettine, Jaire and Savage were both top prospects at their positions, P Smith hasn't lived up to his big contract, Z Smith was already good with the Ravens he was just buried on the chart and didn't get enough opportunities, and Amos has been consistent but has not been any better since 2018.

Meanwhile; Kevin King, Josh Jones, Rashan Gary and Josh Jackson were all taken within the top 50ish and all of them have been busts so far. 

Martinez spent 4 years with the Packers(2 with Pettine) and they let him walk last year and he just had the best season of his career in 2020 with the Giants.

As I said in another thread, the defense has talent and they shouldn't still be as bad as it is.  They have poured ALOT of resources into that defense to help Pettine and he still couldn't even make them average.

Pettine is a bad DC and always has been. Keep him to stay as far away from game-planning, practice, and play-calling as possible. 

He didn't have the best rep before joining the Packers and he never got the Packers defense over the top despite having some pretty good pieces in place.  

He took over for Dom Capers and didn't make them any better.  In fact, you could make an argument that he made them worse, despite his defenses playing a much easier schedule than Capers.

Avg total DVOA | Schedule
Capers:  2015-2017:  18th (+1.30%)  | 11th (+1.20%)

Pettine: 2018-2020:  20th (+3.73%)  | 20th (-1.83%)

And it's not like they didn't provide him with ample resources either.  They have poured 12 drafts picks and over 1100 in capital including 3 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd, plus they signed both Smith's and Amos for over 150M + 50M fully guaranteed money.  Capers didn't have the luxury of having a GM willing to dip into free agency like Gute did with Pettine either.  Ted Thomspon refused to ever use free agency to help the team. He believed strictly on building through teh draft.

There's no reason a defense should still be this bad with Clark, Savage, both Smiths, Jaire and Amos on it. The same reason I was glad to hear Pagano go. There's too much talent there for it to fail. And if does fail, then that's on the coach. And the same reason Todd Haley failed in Pittsburgh--too much talent and not knowing how to utilize it.