Texans interviewed backup QB McCown for HC Position

NYRaider

I'm sure Josh will be a heck of a HC someday.  Hes very smart and he can own the room.  But cmon man let him earn his stripes first as a QB coach and oc.  This team is going to be a disaster  and then Josh is always going to have that stink on him and he'll have to really fight to wash it off, and none of it will be his fault.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorns90 said:

I'm going to read this as "we've decided on Eric Bieniemy, but sitting around twiddling our thumbs looks bad"

and I refuse to be convinced otherwise

I dont think Bienemy wants the job if I'm being honest, that's the only thing that would make any sense in even considering Josh for the job, when the last coaching he did was HS assistant nearly 10 years ago.

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

I dont think Bienemy wants the job if I'm being honest, that's the only thing that would make any sense in even considering Josh for the job, when the last coaching he did was HS assistant nearly 10 years ago.

REFUSE TO BE CONVINCED OTHERWISE.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I actually had to read the title a few times to be sure I was reading it right. 

To be fair, McCown has been known to help teach younger QBs. He (tried) to help Cutler and Wentz and if IIRC Cleveland brought him to help develop Manziel. 

That said, you don't hire a guy who has never coached before to be a head coach. That sounds like all kinds of disaster waiting to happen. I could understand maybe as QB coach or asst.

tbf iirc mccown has coached high school..

high school

lol

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I actually had to read the title a few times to be sure I was reading it right. 

To be fair, McCown has been known to help teach younger QBs. He (tried) to help Cutler and Wentz and if IIRC Cleveland brought him to help develop Manziel. 

That said, you don't hire a guy who has never coached before to be a head coach. That sounds like all kinds of disaster waiting to happen. I could understand maybe as QB coach or asst.

Well, it's hard to argue with that track record.

• Like 5

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-execs-see-eagles-josh-mccown-as-a-future-head-coach-and-it-could-come-sooner-rather-than-later/

The Eagles made Josh McCown the oldest practice squad player in the NFL for a multitude of reasons, his strong relationship with starter Carson Wentz and innate grasp of their offense chief among them. While McCown has not been training with the team, he is staying in shape, taking part in virtual meetings and staying in close contact with Wentz while coaching his son's high school football team in Texas, and his relationship with Wentz could prove vital this week. Wentz's play has been the focus of intense scrutiny in Philadelphia, with the team off to an 0-2 start and struggling on several levels, and McCown has served as an important resource and sounding board for him, sources said.

McCown has seen the game from all sides during a unique career that has spanned 18 years and 10 teams. He has left an indelible imprint on all of those teams and impressed a legion of coaches and executives with his ability to absorb and disseminate information and serve as a trusted leader and beloved teammate. Several teams thought he could have served as a play-caller while still on the sidelines. He has been a vital voice in quarterback rooms as far as installations and game-plan suggestions and is already getting coaching experience at the high school level.

As shocking as it sounds to talk about a current NFL player as a head-coaching candidate in short order, several current and former execs I've talked to who have been around McCown believe that he could be an NFL head coach within five years of retiring from the game, perhaps sooner. He could have a job as a quarterback coach right now if he wanted it, some execs told me, and would be on a fast track to quickly move to a coordinator role and, with success there, be a head coach within a year or two.

"Maybe the smartest player I have ever been around," said one former NFL GM who signed McCown previously. "Head coach in the making."

• Like 1