Texans interviewed backup QB McCown for HC Position

NYRaider

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm sure Josh will be a heck of a HC someday.  Hes very smart and he can own the room.  But cmon man let him earn his stripes first as a QB coach and oc.  This team is going to be a disaster  and then Josh is always going to have that stink on him and he'll have to really fight to wash it off, and none of it will be his fault.

He would be a hero to many if he stipulated that Easterby had to resign for him to consider.  

In 2015, McCown essentially became a coach after he got hurt in week 8.  Spent the rest of the season working with QB coach Kevin O'Connell trying in vain to make Johnny Manziel work in the NFL.  It was O'Connell's first year coaching and he's OC of the Rams now.  That is obviously the more sensible career path.   

10 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

He would be a hero to many if he stipulated that Easterby had to resign for him to consider.  

In 2015, McCown essentially became a coach after he got hurt in week 8.  Spent the rest of the season working with QB coach Kevin O'Connell trying in vain to make Johnny Manziel work in the NFL.  It was O'Connell's first year coaching and he's OC of the Rams now.  That is obviously the more sensible career path.   

Here is the moment that should have let him know coaching was probably the new way forward for him.

jmzljnU.gif

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Is Josh McCown a man of God?

Okay, but for real is that what's happening in Houston? Are they placing more importance on such things rather than the health of the franchise and winning in general, or are they just kind of bumbling through with croney-ism?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Okay, but for real is that what's happening in Houston? Are they placing more importance on such things rather than the health of the franchise and winning in general, or are they just kind of bumbling through with croney-ism?

I have listened to some easterby sermons and I have listened to some of his pressers. I would love to give a genuine answer about how his religion shapes his world view l, and how it would possibly shape the way he leads the texans, but it would break the forums rules. 

This is as someone who loves the church as a whole not a red faced critic of it. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I actually had to read the title a few times to be sure I was reading it right. 

To be fair, McCown has been known to help teach younger QBs. He (tried) to help Cutler and Wentz and if IIRC Cleveland brought him to help develop Manziel. 

That said, you don't hire a guy who has never coached before to be a head coach. That sounds like all kinds of disaster waiting to happen. I could understand maybe as QB coach or asst.

He has coached high school, sir!

Yeah this is nuts. I thought I was being a bit off the wall when I mocked him as a QB coach. Wowza

The only justification to even consider McCown is that you feel he’s primed to be a HC soon and you just wanna get ahead of the curve so that he doesn’t wind up elsewhere. Obviously from a resume standpoint this sounds crazy and it’s a kick in a teeth to the notion that you have work your way up. But HC hires are silly anyway because nobody ever knows who’s gonna be a good HC and who’s gonna be bad. 

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I have listened to some easterby sermons and I have listened to some of his pressers. I would love to give a genuine answer about how his religion shapes his world view l, and how it would possibly shape the way he leads the texans, but it would break the forums rules. 

This is as someone who loves the church as a whole not a red faced critic of it. 

I did not realize what was happening down there. Mccown and Caserio for sure. Maybe they'll snag their next QB from behind the counter at Chick-fil-A.

(Only judging bad hiring practices. Chick-fil-A is fantastic too.)

I could see - combined with the Matt Eberflus news that he's leading in the search - where Eberflus is in as HC, Jim Caldwell and Josh McCown as dual OCs, Tim Kelly as QB Coach and Eberflus bringing in his own DC and staff on that side of the ball. 

I wouldn't really hate this. Eberflus is a unicorn in this whole search - Watson has said he likes him a lot and could work alongside him, and Eberflus was originally planning to be part of Josh McDaniels' staff in Indianapolis, alongside one Jack "Devil Incarnate" Easterby.

Eberflus checks the boxes for both Team Watson and Team Devil, and would need an experienced OC - if you could pair that OC with a potential rising star, that could be a beneficial platform for Watson (who knows McCown from last season in the QB room).

We'll see - this has been crazy, I feel like I've lived through six months of this crazy, but it's only been three weeks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Yes to both - they're focusing on "culture" over actual football, AND they're only trusting folks they know in depth - even if Bieniemy was deep into a "similar culture" if you will, they'd ignore it because it's not part of "their culture" if you will.

It's a mess. It's an absolute mess. But, it's been that way for 18 or so months, and it's only visible because the Texans didn't win this season (and Amy Palcic isn't here to keep the sharks at bay - once she was fired, the national media drew a bullseye on this team, and rightfully so).

So, that's where we're at. I feel like I've been thrown into a burlap sack and beaten by a very angry person with a wrench, and I would wager that's the consensus from this fanbase.

We're tired. We're beaten. And we know this might be just the beginning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I would love to give a genuine answer about how his religion shapes his world view l, and how it would possibly shape the way he leads the texans, but it would break the forums rules. 

This is something I wrote in the Texans forum - relatively ambiguous when it comes to site rules, but it encompasses the situation as many of us in Houston see it:

On 1/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, ET80 said:

There was a caller on 610 - they called him Pastor Rick - he was a retired pastor, and he summed up the mindset of the current FO so well:

With Easterby/Cal - Culture is more important than winning football games.

- That's why you trade a guy such as DeAndre Hopkins away, in favor of culture guys like David Johnson.

- That's why you trade a guy like Jadevion Clowney away, then give Whitney Mercilius a very lucrative extension.

- That's why guys like Kareem Jackson and Tyrann Mathieu are free to walk in favor of Eric Murray.

Players who fit the culture > Players who win football games. It's that simple, and when you have a core group of guys who are here to win a SB (Watson, Watt, Tunsil) you're going to have significant conflict.

These things don't need to be mutually exclusive, you can strive to have both. However, this team believes you can't have one without another - and they're going backwards about it. You don't/can't build a culture and try to win games, you win games and let that success define your culture. That's literally how every sustainable dynasty achieved it.

Here's a stat for you - when introducing Nick Caserio, the word "culture" is used over 10 time in responses and statements. The word "Super Bowl" is used exactly... ZERO times. (And this is an introduction of a guy who was a part of six SBs - it wasn't even said in passing).

It's literally not on anyone's mind in ownership/FO - and that's pretty evident now. Only actions will convince me that they're interested in winning Super Bowls - which should be the only goal for ANY of these 32 franchises. Empty words (that are probably written by Easterby himself) mean NOTHING anymore.

I think you can make proper substitutions to see where I am on this.

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Ditto, to an extent - I'm not a fan of people like Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, TD Jakes, David Taylor, Kenneth Copeland (Google these names, that's as far as I'm going on this particular subject - I don't like these guys, or guys like them).

Jack Easterby is cut from the exact same mold as these fellows. It absolutely infuriates me.

• Like 3