Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I agree with limiting it. Maybe the first 5 rounds of free agency? Then just gray it out for the rest of the go

If we limited it to the first 3 rounds, then the bid slot could be converted to a resign bid, allowing us to stop doing 7th round bidding where all required triggers are removed on the reserve bids.  Typically after this happens, it wipes out most of the talent in free agency.  This current concept would allow us to sign more of our own free agents over time rather than just a mass depletion.   

• Like 1

@LuckyNumber11 @whodatOL @Ghostnote @KingOfNewYork @BringinDaPain @Forge @sparky151 @MKnight82@cortes02 @JWingate @BowserBroncos @winitall @squire12 @jch1911 @Counselor @samsel23 @Trojan @carrolljcmc @EaglesPeteC @FinneasGage @DoleINGout @JetsandI @ny92mike @bcb1213 @T-rade @Cbrunn @Justone2 @mountainpd @Daniel @MikeT14 @drfrey13 @Deadpulse @YogiBiz @SerenityNow

Note:  If you wish to be removed from the above list of tags, let me know.

This topic is to discuss a revised schedule

I'd like to get your thoughts on starting the draft a bit earlier in the mock.  It would still start after the combine has completed, but if we started the draft after the 4th bidding round, I believe it would keep more people involved for a longer amount of time.  

Typically by the time we start the draft, we've pretty much already have our rosters build via trade and FA.  Starting the draft after round 4 I think it would help with our game planning.  I spent a lot of money chasing talent for the offensive line, when I wouldn't have done so if I knew my 1st pick would have been AVT.

I also believe that it would keep more members involved for the late rounds of both FA and the draft.

Thoughts?

Only thing I can think of about starting draft earlier is whenever the combine is scheduled. Having access to combine numbers and measurements would be nice. Not sure if that's even near the draft scheduling though, but that's something I'd like considered.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

If we limited it to the first 3 rounds, then the bid slot could be converted to a resign bid, allowing us to stop doing 7th round bidding where all required triggers are removed on the reserve bids.  Typically after this happens, it wipes out most of the talent in free agency.  This current concept would allow us to sign more of our own free agents over time rather than just a mass depletion.   

I like it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Only thing I can think of about starting draft earlier is whenever the combine is scheduled. Having access to combine numbers and measurements would be nice. Not sure if that's even near the draft scheduling though, but that's something I'd like considered.

Right last year the combine didn't happen so it messed with our schedule but typically we start the draft part of the mock immediately following the combine.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

What's the # of days/weeks earlier in relation to when we usually do it?

Can't use last year because the schedule was just so jacked up.  The year before that we started the mock on the 3rd of Feb.  and started drafting on the 3rd of March, which was after the 8th round of bidding.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L4GNQA1VwE6bQV0VvRYeJCN2yqExO852fnOa_-aa9iw/edit?usp=sharing

I'd like to keep date for the start of the draft the same, but we'd just need to start the mock a little bit later, perhaps after valentine's day (feb 14)

41 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I'm in the middle of my busiest two weeks of the summer. I will catch up with all of this after that. 

Just chime in when you feel like it.  I'm just posting as I'm building, which isn't on any type of schedule.  Only reason I've been working on this the last couple days is because it's too damn hot outside to play golf.

I'm not a fan of the backup bid idea. Personally, if my bid for a star free agent doesn't get filled, I'll regroup after the round of bidding. As the Bengals last year we wanted Trent Williams and big big for him. Not quite big enough though and we were able to put the money to use elsewhere.

Players with voided contracts should be treated like regular free agents, either UFA or RFA as appropriate for years of service.

For the schedule, we should do more than 4 rounds of free agency before the draft. We started too early last year and if we're going to 3 rounds of free agency bidding per week, we'd be in the draft by week 2. IMO the draft shouldn't start until at least half the big schools have had their first pro day. With 12 rounds of free agent bidding teams should have at least viable backup options at all positions.

I'd like to see fewer obvious bargains in free agency, players want to max out their deals so I like it when they ask for a lot and teams have to decide whether to wait or pull the trigger now. 

On 7/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, sparky151 said:

I'm not a fan of the backup bid idea. Personally, if my bid for a star free agent doesn't get filled, I'll regroup after the round of bidding. As the Bengals last year we wanted Trent Williams and big big for him. Not quite big enough though and we were able to put the money to use elsewhere.

@sparky151 You aren't alone, @mountainpd isn't a fan either and I have concerns myself, but I understand why others would like to see this feature added to FA as we've gotten several request from new and old members alike.  There are definitely cons involved with this change.   Personally, I think the system we have in place right now is a solid representation of how I envision the real deal.  However, I'm willing to make this change simply to see if it improves the system.  At the bare minimum we should conduct a mini mock to test it out prior to rolling out TCMD.  

Either way, it sounds like we need to have a more in-depth discussion to nail down the details.  I'd say we put this to a vote but I think we should at least delay the vote until we can properly test it.

Players with voided contracts should be treated like regular free agents, either UFA or RFA as appropriate for years of service.

Perhaps.  I just like the way it's currently structured.  A lot of these players still have bonuses tied to their contracts is the main reason why I allow the team the ability to extend their contract. 

A compromise to this would be to allow the option to extend only if the player if not extended generates dead money, if not they are listed as UFA. 

For the schedule, we should do more than 4 rounds of free agency before the draft. We started too early last year and if we're going to 3 rounds of free agency bidding per week, we'd be in the draft by week 2. IMO the draft shouldn't start until at least half the big schools have had their first pro day. With 12 rounds of free agent bidding teams should have at least viable backup options at all positions.

Good point about pro day scheduling as it was really all we had due to a canceled combine last season.  I'll have to check out the event dates for some of the bigger schools.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/2019-nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule-0ap3000001018254

Looking at the 2019 pro day schedule it carries on into late March early April.  Do you not think that is pushing the draft out too far?  Typically we've always started the draft event a day or two after the combine which takes place late Feb.  

I'd like to see fewer obvious bargains in free agency, players want to max out their deals so I like it when they ask for a lot and teams have to decide whether to wait or pull the trigger now. 

I'm working on refining the grading system, which is what I use to generate the APY values.  When I'm finished with it I'll start posting results on this system for assistance on dialing it in.

@LuckyNumber11 @whodatOL @Ghostnote @KingOfNewYork @BringinDaPain @Forge @sparky151 @MKnight82@cortes02 @JWingate @BowserBroncos @winitall @squire12 @jch1911 @Counselor @samsel23 @Trojan @carrolljcmc @EaglesPeteC @FinneasGage @DoleINGout @JetsandI @ny92mike @bcb1213 @T-rade @Cbrunn @Justone2 @mountainpd @Daniel @MikeT14 @drfrey13 @Deadpulse @YogiBiz @SerenityNow

In terms of the schedule, the Superbowl next year is Feb 13 and the first day of the draft is April 28. So there's plenty of time to get it done. Doing 256 draft picks at 40 minutes each for 12 hours a day takes a little over 2 weeks. If we have 3 rounds of free agent bidding per week, that's 4 weeks total with perhaps the last week overlapping with the draft. 

Basically, I'd like to start as late as possible with the goal of finishing a week or so before the real draft. I think we could start things the last week of Feb, start free agency in early March, a week ahead of the real thing.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

In terms of the schedule, the Superbowl next year is Feb 13 and the first day of the draft is April 28. So there's plenty of time to get it done. Doing 256 draft picks at 40 minutes each for 12 hours a day takes a little over 2 weeks. If we have 3 rounds of free agent bidding per week, that's 4 weeks total with perhaps the last week overlapping with the draft. 

Basically, I'd like to start as late as possible with the goal of finishing a week or so before the real draft. I think we could start things the last week of Feb, start free agency in early March, a week ahead of the real thing.

I'm good with any of these start dates to be honest.  The reason I was looking to start the mock a little later in the month was an attempt to keep more members involved.  My thought process was that if we started the mock toward the end of Feb. and have the draft event start somewhere in the 3rd or 4th FA bid round was that toward the end of the mock we would have more going on than just drafting late round players.  The mock starts out with a lot of things going on and toward the end of it, we start disappearing.  Which makes it difficult to work out the last phase of the mock, "Awards and discussions about our team building skills.

I also have to take into consideration, that we aren't the only mock draft in this sub forum, however for now we are the only mock draft that houses a free agency.  FFMD II also needs room prior to the start of the NFL Draft.  I'm also going to be running a mini version of TCMD just to iron out the kinks with this new build, which will also house a FA.  This mini version will likely have to start before the season is even over or have it reduced to only a week to 10 days.  

Edited by ny92mike

Instead of having a backup bid (which I think takes away some of the strategy of FA), why not just have a spreadsheet that shows the number of teams that have submitted a bid on that player?  I'm not sure if you could code it this way, but having a cell in the FA workbook right next to where you do the contracts that tells you how many other teams have bid on him would be very helpful. That way I can pull up that spreadsheet and be like, hmm this guy's got 8 bids, maybe I should pivot to something else.  Just a thought.