Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I am uncertain.

One blog said once a player's team finished a season without extending his contract, all prorated bonuses in voidable years will be counted against current year's cap.

Many articles said they should be counted against next year's cap.

Right, if not resigned or extended all prorated money is accelerated to the current year, just as if you were to release them.

That may explain why there are plenty of due dates (trigger) right around new calendar year date. That allows teams to buy some time to extend player's voidable contract.

Once a player becomes UFA dead money will be counted against a year's cap, no matter what it seems.

Correct...which is why in years past I allowed teams the ability to extend/resign without worrying about another team outbidding in the open market.

Since you want to give GM some chance to extend contracts without dead money trap you can set up a deadline to extend players or not for salary cap purpose.  Maybe in RFA's phase. 

This is basically what I did in the past mocks, but the issue is not everyone were fans of this and want to see these guys hit the open market and technically they're right.  I'm willing to put them in the open market but I want to provide the original team a leg up because they are losing money if they don't get them resigned.

11 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Right, if not resigned or extended all prorated money is accelerated to the current year, just as if you were to release them.

Re-signed means he already become UFA so thus his dead money from old contract will be counted against upcoming team's salary cap.  New free agent contract will not avert that. 

In real life, GMs managed to extend players' old voidable contract on time so I won't know for sure about what would happen to old dead money if he was re signed as FA.   Extension contract makes sense because it still connects with old contract.

I aye to the vote if it exists that you keep the rule as we have an opportunity to extend those certain players or cut them.

Using Armstead as the example, he's currently under contract for 2022. After the 2021 season, he will likely void his contract for 2022.  If he does, there are no cap consequences for 2021, just for 2022. Because he will have fulfilled his contract for 2021. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Using Armstead as the example, he's currently under contract for 2022. After the 2021 season, he will likely void his contract for 2022.  If he does, there are no cap consequences for 2021, just for 2022. Because he will have fulfilled his contract for 2021. 

Right...this offseason he'll be a free agent if the contract is voided.  If voided, the team will accumulate almost 13 million in dead money with zero cap savings.  Which is why if we are putting these guys in the open market, there should be some benefit for the original team the ability to extend or resign.  

Extension makes more sense to me, but the extension prevents him from hitting the open market.  Resigning the player puts the team in the hole 13 million (dead money) and then has to make a competing offer.  Which I can't see too many teams interested in doing this.  So we either need to figure out a way to comp the original team or allow the team the option to extend the player prior to hitting the open market, like we done in the past.  

We could just zero the dead money out but I'm not really a fan of this, because we're talking about several million.  Personally, I'd prefer to just keep it the way we've been doing it for years.  If we're dead set with going with the open market, the dead money needs to get attached to the new bid in some way. 

11 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Re-signed means he already become UFA so thus his dead money from old contract will be counted against upcoming team's salary cap.  New free agent contract will not avert that. 

In real life, GMs managed to extend players' old voidable contract on time so I won't know for sure about what would happen to old dead money if he was re signed as FA.   Extension contract makes sense because it still connects with old contract.

I aye to the vote if it exists that you keep the rule as we have an opportunity to extend those certain players or cut them.

Agreed...extension and resign are two different beast.  If resigning, then the 13 million is counted as dead money using the Armstead as the example, and the team then must make a competitive bid in order to resign which after paying out 13 million odds are they aren't going to be able to make such an offer.

I'm down to put this up for a vote, but this time of year there aren't gonna be but a handful of people that chime in.

Personally, I like the way we've done it in the past, typically only a handful of players with voided contacts by the time we reach that point in the mock.  The extension option whether right or wrong simply works better for the mock, but I also understand where @sparky151 is coming from with the player technically being a free agent.

The next project I'll be working on is the Waiver Wire.

Last years waiver wire was a mess so I want to make sure I get this right.

This year I want to set it up like how the NFL runs it.  

Basic rules

• Player with less than 4 years of service are subject to the Waiver process.
  • Current contract is used to claim player.
  • Draft order (prior to trades) determines the team's priority.

tcmd setup

• Current contract amount is used to claim player.
  • Player remains on Waivers for 48 hours (gives everyone enough time)
  • You claim them you're stuck with them, can't trade.
    • This prevents a team from cleaning house in Waivers and turning around to trade them off. 

Anything we need to consider with this setup?

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Agreed...extension and resign are two different beast.  If resigning, then the 13 million is counted as dead money using the Armstead as the example, and the team then must make a competitive bid in order to resign which after paying out 13 million odds are they aren't going to be able to make such an offer.

I'm down to put this up for a vote, but this time of year there aren't gonna be but a handful of people that chime in.

Personally, I like the way we've done it in the past, typically only a handful of players with voided contacts by the time we reach that point in the mock.  The extension option whether right or wrong simply works better for the mock, but I also understand where @sparky151 is coming from with the player technically being a free agent.

Mark it as Ballot #1.🙂

On 10/1/2021 at 9:50 PM, ny92mike said:

The next project I'll be working on is the Waiver Wire.

Last years waiver wire was a mess so I want to make sure I get this right.

This year I want to set it up like how the NFL runs it.  

Basic rules

• Current contract is used to claim player.

tcmd setup

• Current contract amount is used to claim player.
  • Player remains on Waivers for 48 hours (gives everyone enough time)
  • You claim them you're stuck with them, can't trade.
    • This prevents a team from cleaning house in Waivers and turning around to trade them off. 

Anything we need to consider with this setup?

That looks good. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I believe I'm at the point where I need some members to help me start testing the workbook for errors.  I understand that this isn't fun but having additional users to test out the formulas would really help me out.

If any of you have the time to help out over the next few days, let me know.  @JetsandI has been working with me but he's had to step away.

@LuckyNumber11 @whodatOL @Ghostnote @KingOfNewYork @BringinDaPain @Forge @sparky151 @MKnight82@cortes02 @JWingate @BowserBroncos @winitall @squire12 @jch1911 @Counselor @samsel23 @Trojan @carrolljcmc @EaglesPeteC @FinneasGage @DoleINGout@bcb1213 @T-rade @Cbrunn @Justone2 @mountainpd @Daniel @MikeT14 @drfrey13 @Deadpulse @YogiBiz @SerenityNow

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I have a newborn (kinda, he was born 24 weeks and just got home after months in the hospital) son and want to pass out every second I'm awake and can barely think right.

LOL @ "can barely think"... I get it.  

Hope all is well now, seems like a long stay in the hospital.  

• Like 1