Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Regarding the overall schedule,  looking to get some discussion on preferences.

1.  Seems certain TCMD needs to start later than it did for 2021. 

This shotgun start screwed up so much.  It was a mistake and will never happen again.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

2.  I will take the ownership on changing the schedule.  There was feedback from prior years on avoiding Friday, Saturday & Sunday night UFA bid deadlines.  There was also a request to keep each week more symmetrical with deadlines being consistent nights each week.

I think it is nearly impossible to have deadlines on consecutive nights for UFA due to the time needed to reset rosters and UFA lists.

So either the Monday / Thursday schedule which creates longer gaps between UFA bidding rounds

OR

We do 3 per week and then need to decide on where that 3rd deadline is

Monday / Wednesday / Saturday

Tuesday / Thursday / Sunday

Thoughts????

If this mock stays as a individual GM designed mock then I think we should focus on min. 3 rounds per week.  

I do like avoiding weekends and id say either Mon wed Fri or the tues thru sun would work.

3 hours ago, mountainpd said:

I would like to offer some help with this next year, mainly to adjust some of the extremes. What I would say Is it will never be perfect and I firmly believe the market sets itself.

I welcome all the help I can get.  Just know that the adjustments need to be formula based and not opinionated.  Just looking over the list and making adjustments to individual grades doesn't really work for me.  Adjustments would need to be across the board.  I try to avoid injecting personal opinions.  But trust me there are changes that would make this a better system.

It will never be perfect.  No grading system ive seen is.  PFF is making a ton of money and is used by a number of media outlets and I think their system isn't any better than what I produce using this stat based grading system.

where I really need the help is during the rebuild of the workbooks.  Difficult doing this stuff without getting feedback on the design and functionality of the sheets.

This includes guidelines and schedule.

So I appreciate you guys getting involved in this thread.  

Just now, ny92mike said:

where I really need the help is during the rebuild of the workbooks.  Difficult doing this stuff without getting feedback on the design and functionality of the sheets.

This includes guidelines and schedule.

So I appreciate you guys getting involved in this thread.  

How long does it tend to take making changes? Is this something we can do few weeks prior to mock starting and still give you time to amend.

1 minute ago, mountainpd said:

How long does it tend to take making changes? Is this something we can do few weeks prior to mock starting and still give you time to amend.

Some minor things yes but the actual design of the workbooks takes weeks even months to build depending on how many hours I put into it.

Guidelines needs to be the first thing we do then grading and apy demands.  Then workbooks.

Just now, ny92mike said:

Some minor things yes but the actual design of the workbooks takes weeks even months to build depending on how many hours I put into it.

Guidelines needs to be the first thing we do then grading and apy demands.  Then workbooks.

I'm starting from blanks for next year's mock.  So its going to take a lot of time to build.

2022 REBUILD OUTLINE

• Guidelines
    • Review guidelines for changes.
    • Remove the fluff.
    • Segment rules.
      • Allows for bookmarked links to be added at the top of each workbook sheet specific to each sheet.
    • Include "How to Guides", images/videos with instructions on how to manage each sheet.
  • Schedule
    • Revise the layout making it easier to read.
    • Remove the fluff.
    • Include links to specific guidelines for each section.
    • Stick to the scheduled date and times.
  • Adjust Player APY Demands
    • Refine the player grading process to develop more accurate player APY values.  
  • Workbook Design and Functionality
    • Get feedback on what sheets are being used and which sheets need to be removed or altered.
    • Reduce the number of linked data.
    • Reduce the amount of left to right scrolling
    • Sheet design structure to create uniform layout.
    • Remove the need to have both an official and unofficial team roster.
      • Still allow the function to use the drop down list to see how cuts would effect the cap.
    • Test for formula errors and function.
  • Look at ways to improve retention
  • Consider what it would take to run a second mock.
    • Mini version that is more focused on providing entertainment at the forum wide level or getting the help to run a simulated season designed to carryover the transactions we make in the previous year.

In looking at reducing the amount of scrolling by hiding columns in the roster sheets (2021 and later years) .  The obtained and status columns could be abbreviated.

Also need to include some additional options in the obtained drop down list to track the various types of extensions.

OBTAINED LIST ACQ'D
Original OG
UFA UFA
Resigned RS
ERFA ERFA
RFA RFA
Extension S-EXT
Restructure REST
Exclusive Tag E-TAG
non-Exclusive Tag NE-TAG
Transition Tag T-TAG
Traded TRD
Released CUT
Drafted DRFT
UDFA UDFA
Waiver Wire WW
5th Yr. Option 5TH
Practice Squad PS
STATUS LIST STAT
Active ACT
Released CUT
PS/Inactive PS
June 1st Jun1

I think PS and inactive are out.   During the off season, there is no PS or inactive list at all.  Only during the season.  Really pointless.

PS in obtained list should be okay because players with future's contract usually are practice squad players.  Shorthand for PS looks better than Future's Contracts whatever it is.

As for 5th year option, I need more information.  Is that for 2 or 3 year under Cap Floor supervision?   A current player has contract of 5th year option? Eligible for next year?

Statement in first question is absolutely valid there.

As for 2nd, I believe that 5th year salary is locked once season is underway like FA tags. However, 5th year option salary can be replaced with new contract during off season activity.  Just can't reduce that.   Using 5th year option acknowledgement to let us know that we can't get cute with it.

As for 3rd, once it is picked, both 4th and 5th year are fully guaranteed. The deadline to pick up or deny is usually after the draft.  As for TCMD, I don't really see any significance of acknowledging.

46 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I think PS and inactive are out.   During the off season, there is no PS or inactive list at all.  Only during the season.  Really pointless.

PS in obtained list should be okay because players with future's contract usually are practice squad players.  Shorthand for PS looks better than Future's Contracts whatever it is.

As for 5th year option, I need more information.  Is that for 2 or 3 year under Cap Floor supervision?   A current player has contract of 5th year option? Eligible for next year?

Statement in first question is absolutely valid there.

As for 2nd, I believe that 5th year salary is locked once season is underway like FA tags. However, 5th year option salary can be replaced with new contract during off season activity.  Just can't reduce that.   Using 5th year option acknowledgement to let us know that we can't get cute with it.

As for 3rd, once it is picked, both 4th and 5th year are fully guaranteed. The deadline to pick up or deny is usually after the draft.  As for TCMD, I don't really see any significance of acknowledging.

Agree with all of this, the PS/Inactive was there in case this turned into a simulation style mock, where rosters and transactions carryover to the next year.  The 5th year option addition was from a previous request to include it so that teams could simply have the option to state it.  Kind of like what I did with Barkley this year.  It has about as much significance as trading for future picks in these mocks.  Not really needed and the amount of time and energy it takes to include this along with the additional formulas it requires isn't worth it.  

Delete and delete.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Do we need a trade block for draft picks?  Seems unnecessary to me.

Thoughts?

For Tab... Definitely out.  However, we need to find a way to enable trade option for upcoming draft pick.  Right now, draft board let us know upcoming draft pick is on trade block and I am pretty sure that comes from trade block (picks) tab.

Also looking at changing up the Return Value/Notes (Optional) column.  Rather than typing in the section that you're asking for a 1st round pick.  I'd like to use a drop down list in that column that just includes a number value equal to the DPV chart.  

This would work better for valuing trades in the trade value chart.  Example of this would be.

+/-4000 DPV
+/-3000 DPV
+/-1700 DPV
+/-1300 DPV
+/-1050 DPV
+/-850 DPV
+/-720 DPV
+/-620 DPV
+/-550 DPV
+/-500 DPV
+/-450 DPV
+/-400 DPV
+/-350 DPV

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

For Tab... Definitely out.  However, we need to find a way to enable trade option for upcoming draft pick.  Right now, draft board let us know upcoming draft pick is on trade block and I am pretty sure that comes from trade block (picks) tab.

Correct,,,I'm thinking we could include another checkmark in the trade value chart that puts the pick on the block so that we still keep the feature of it showing up in the draft board.

• Like 1