Has there been a bigger organizational melt down than the Texans last year?

Kiwibrown

1. Trade Nuk for peanuts 

2. Fire coach early in the year

3. Have a top 5 qb and squeak out a few wins. 

4. Hire a chaplain to be a football operations guy. His ethos is positivity and team culture, but the organization burns up under his regime.

5. Upset the great qb so much he wants out. 

6. Trade away draft capital 

7. Interview a qb on your roster to be head coach. 

8. Upset the star of the organization as much as possible. 

9.  Trade for two average running backs. 

10 trade a lot of assets for a very good but not spectacular LT. 

So has it ever gone worse for an organization? Im asking this as a browns fan, I dont think we were ever in this hole.

So this isn't the same thing at all, but as far as like, massive single offseason changes where things majorly blow up, there was the Niners a few years back when Harbaugh said peace out. Then they brought in that coach who farted at press conferences.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, DannyB said:

So this isn't the same thing at all, but as far as like, massive single offseason changes where things majorly blow up, there was the Niners a few years back when Harbaugh said peace out. Then they brought in that coach who farted at press conferences.

I decided not to watch any games that season in silent protest. I thought Jed York was an idiot, and the way everything was handled was terrible. The retirements didn't help either. Getting Kelly a year later wasn't better. But yeah, the ******* leaks every ******* week before every game seemingly. 2014 was just something I had never seen as a football fan, and it happened to be my team I support. Never again. Funny how when Lynch was up for the GM job, he told the 49ers there can't be any leaks, or he wasn't gonna hop on board. Amazingly it all stopped then and there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I decided not to watch any games that season in silent protest. I thought Jed York was an idiot, and the way everything was handled was terrible. The retirements didn't help either. Getting Kelly a year later wasn't better. But yeah, the ******* leaks every ******* week before every game seemingly. 2014 was just something I had never seen as a football fan, and it happened to be my team I support. Never again. Funny how when Lynch was up for the GM job, he told the 49ers there can't be any leaks, or he wasn't gonna hop on board. Amazingly it all stopped then and there. 

tenor.gif

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Funny how when Lynch was up for the GM job, he told the 49ers there can't be any leaks, or he wasn't gonna hop on board. Amazingly it all stopped then and there. 

for the record I'm not exactly sure what leaks YOU'RE referring to, but if they're the kind I'm thinking of, I was under the impression that they were out of anybody's control when they're coming from this guy...

jimtomsula.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Niners meltdown was horribad. Went from competing for SB's to competing for top 5 picks and our FO & Coaching Staff tore itself apart from the inside.

We even kinda had our own Jack Easterby....Paraag Marathe was our cap guru back then and there were reports at the time that Harbaugh didn't get along with him at all, that Marathe was a non-football guy trying to have football power (Marathe was responsible for paging challenges from the booth, for example), etc 

Fast forward two straight one and done coaches, a complete gutting of the roster, and we came out the other side with SB caliber FO, Coaching Staff, & Roster (when they're not all banged up at the same time) 

And we still have the same owner...and Marathe is still the cap guru. We had to give Lynch & Shanny both big & long-term deals because of our reputation back in 2017, but other than that nothing stopped up from successfully rebuilding. 

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, Texans fans...

• Like 1

Same city: 1993 Houston Oilers -> 1994 Houston Oilers

1993: 12-4 and bounced from the playoffs by Joe Montana and the Chiefs
1994: 1-9 under Jack Pardee (previously lead Oilers to 9-7, 11-5, 10-6 [ended that season on an epic blown lead to the Bills in the playoffs], 12-4), then 1-6 under Jeff Fisher who ended up coaching them until 2010

QB: Warren Moon (1993) -> Billy Joe Tolliver/Bucky Richardson/Cody Carlson (1994)
Lost Mike Munchak at Guard
Lost Buddy Ryan as DC who literally fought the OC on TV
1993: 3 starters on the DL with 9+ sacks 1994: 0 starters with 9+ sacks

I'm sure someone was a fan of them that could elaborate, but they ended up moving from Houston to Tennessee and getting back on track with McNair. Just a pretty large collapse after Warren Moon's era.

Gruden's Buccaneers was a pretty large scale collapse including front office, but took place over a series of years.

87 Chargers started 8-1 and ended up 8-7 missing the playoffs and then Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow retired. 88 Chargers were bad with nobodies replacing the HOFers and they eventually ended up with that same Billy Joe Tolliver character lol.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Niners meltdown was horribad. Went from competing for SB's to competing for top 5 picks and our FO & Coaching Staff tore itself apart from the inside.

We even kinda had our own Jack Easterby....Paraag Marathe was our cap guru back then and there were reports at the time that Harbaugh didn't get along with him at all, that Marathe was a non-football guy trying to have football power (Marathe was responsible for paging challenges from the booth, for example), etc 

Fast forward two straight one and done coaches, a complete gutting of the roster, and we came out the other side with SB caliber FO, Coaching Staff, & Roster (when they're not all banged up at the same time) 

And we still have the same owner...and Marathe is still the cap guru. We had to give Lynch & Shanny both big & long-term deals because of our reputation back in 2017, but other than that nothing stopped up from successfully rebuilding. 

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, Texans fans...

Well yeah, Marathe is still here, and involved...which I feel indifferent about. When the winning started again in 2019 fans essentially were buddy-buddy with him again because "oh my goodness he's a salary cap wizard!!!" To this day I still wonder if he was involved in the whisper-campaign that tore the franchise apart. Or if he really did stupid **** like page challenges down from the booth. We'll probably never know. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe