49ers Cut Navorro Bowman

NcFinest9erFan

From the sounds of this interview the contract doesnt seem to have anything to do with it. If you believe this "coach GM speak". They might have just wanted to give him the courtesy of choosing his own destination over another 3rd or 4th round pick. Makes sense if they're trying to establish the respect of the players

2 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Well, that was quick. Not entirely sure why we absolutely had to get rid of him now tbh. we need to pay his money anyway and I don't think he's worse than Coyle.

Honestly? I think it was a sincere attempt to do it right by him. Obviously, I think that the trade would be preferable, but I wouldn't doubt it if we were like, "hey, we can't find a trade partner...you can stay, or we can let you go". 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Honestly? I think it was a sincere attempt to do it right by him. Obviously, I think that the trade would be preferable, but I wouldn't doubt it if we were like, "hey, we can't find a trade partner...you can stay, or we can let you go". 

Yeah I can see that, I'm just not really happy that we got rid of him now for nothing and have to hope that Foster stays healthy for the rest of the season. Would be a different situation if we had another exciting young LB who would get to play more now but we don't have that(unless that Lee dude has shown more than ST ability).

6 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Yeah I can see that, I'm just not really happy that we got rid of him now for nothing and have to hope that Foster stays healthy for the rest of the season. Would be a different situation if we had another exciting young LB who would get to play more now but we don't have that(unless that Lee dude has shown more than ST ability).

I don't mind it. We aren't going anywhere this year anyway. Would I have preferred the pick? Sure. But I don't think it could have been much of anything - late round flyer 6/7 or something like that. 

So Lynch alluded to basically having a trade set but Bowman preferring to be released. I have some questions. If Bowman wasn't willing to do that trade, good bet they didn't even get to the restructuring part. Was that team really willing to trade for Bowman and his current deal? If so, why?

For a brief while there just before that first injury he was darn near the best LB in football.  Insane that we had Willis and him playing side by side as either could arguably have been the best in the league when they were in their prime and playing side by side.

23 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

If this is true it's remarkable.  Did we think enough of him and what he has given to/for the 49ers that we were willing to turn down a trade (who cares what for) so that he could make a deal to go wherever he wanted to go?  If so, my appreciation for our new GM just way up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

If this is true it's remarkable.  Did we think enough of him and what he has given to/for the 49ers that we were willing to turn down a trade (who cares what for) so that he could make a deal to go wherever he wanted to go?  If so, my appreciation for our new GM just way up.

Meh, it's a long game. There are a lot of variables. The illusion / PR that the 49ers treat their guys right, care about them; that this is a team and a management group that you should want to play for and there is a different culture here now, could be worth more in the long run than a late round pick. I doubt that a decision like this is entirely altruistic, and then I have the same questions as J about a possible trade. 

29 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Along the lines of my thinking. Like @Forge has said I can't see the pick being anything higher than a 6th or 7th anyways, but regardless of what we were getting back the fact Lynch decided just to release Bowman to let him have his picks of his team this is huge.  I can't really remember that ever happening and I think the former player, now GM Lynch is winning over a lot of players respect and making huge strides in bettering the overall outlook towards this franchises handling of players. Do I believe there was a trade that was awaiting his go ahead and he said "naw, Bow deserves to go where he wants and that's final." I'll put on my red and gold lensed glasses and say yes haha.

Been away for a while and have barely paid attention to the 49ers or even the NFL in general since the Super Bowl. Must admit that im shocked the 49ers released Bowman. Was he really that bad? Was he playing the MLB or did they move him outside? What a difference a few years make.