49ers Cut Navorro Bowman

NcFinest9erFan

7 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

Been away for a while and have barely paid attention to the 49ers or even the NFL in general since the Super Bowl. Must admit that im shocked the 49ers released Bowman. Was he really that bad? Was he playing the MLB or did they move him outside? What a difference a few years make.

As @48 1/2erssaid earlier, there's been good and bad. He's pretty atrocious in coverage, and he's struggled after heavy workload games. That being said, first year back off the injury - it's not atypical (Crabtree, Suggs) that the second year back from an Achilles tear is the first year that the player is actually back to form, so I wouldn't be at all shocked if he came back next year and tore it up for someone. We were playing him at Mike, which Foster will take over now. 

5 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

Been away for a while and have barely paid attention to the 49ers or even the NFL in general since the Super Bowl. Must admit that im shocked the 49ers released Bowman. Was he really that bad? Was he playing the MLB or did they move him outside? What a difference a few years make.

His play dropped from where he was at last year when he appeared on the comeback trail. I think the Achilles injury played more of a role than people think in that. Achilles injuries seem to set players back a full year. But, he wasn't bad enough to be released for poor play. What I think happened here is that the team recognized that Foster is the future in the middle, and as he's about ready to return, this was a good time to make that move for the longterm future of the team. Malcolm Smith will be playing the WLB spot next year anyway, so Bowman was really without a position in the future. As Bowman wasn't happy with a cut in snaps last week, and that was likely to continue further with Foster returning, it just made sense to rip off the band-aid now in the mulligan season. 

40 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

dan!!!!!!!!! Welcome back!!! 

Sad day! I know he wasn't looking the part for us this year, but he has always came back (from injury) and gave his all! I would like for him to get a ring (just like Gore), it would be much deserving! 

Edited by StevenK

14 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Here's a fact that feels sadly funny:

Joe Staley is still the longest-tenured player on the team. The second and third are now Daniel Kilgore and Garrett Celek. 

I am not sure what you just did to me but I starred at this computer screen like an idiot for a couple minutes.  The good news is that we have some pieces that we can build around and be corner stones for our team, Buckner, and Foster chiefly.  We do not yet have that young stud on offence, hopefully that will come.

Celek has been on the team longer than Reid?  I do not want to do any research.  Oh the Baalke years of not resigning talent.

Edit:  It is partially also the knuckleheads that we drafted, Aldon would not have been on a different team if he could behave himself as well as the cornerback Culliver - I dont even know what he is doing now.  Did we loose anyone else due to their own social ineptitude?

Edited by burlow

18 minutes ago, burlow said:

I am not sure what you just did to me but I starred at this computer screen like an idiot for a couple minutes.  The good news is that we have some pieces that we can build around and be corner stones for our team, Buckner, and Foster chiefly.  We do not yet have that young stud on offence, hopefully that will come.

Celek has been on the team longer than Reid?  I do not want to do any research.  Oh the Baalke years of not resigning talent.

Edit:  It is partially also the knuckleheads that we drafted, Aldon would not have been on a different team if he could behave himself as well as the cornerback Culliver - I dont even know what he is doing now.  Did we loose anyone else due to their own social ineptitude?

Yup, Celek was here in 2012. Reid/Carradine in 2013.

And we lost Bruce Miller from that same 2011 class.

Feel indifferent about this. It's a rebuilding season and Bowman clearly wasn't the same since the 2013 NFC Championship. I guess it's a culture building deal to do right by established players, but where do you draw the line? If Carlos Hyde comes up to Lynch next week and asks for this or that, does Lynch grant his wish or does he say no and risk coming off as a hypocrite? 

Anyways, I think I should file this news under "of course it happened because of course it did #49ers"