Jump to content

Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

If SF puts 12 on the table how is Indy getting Stafford?

 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

This is if stafford goes to the Niners and Niners are moving Jimmy. So if this is the scenerio.

Yes of course, brainfart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BullsandBroncos said:

Don't doubt it. Just saying he's not worth a first.

I think he is. Nobody is acquiring him on the idea that he's only going to be around for 2 years. I think he probably comes with a 3 year extension. 5 years of that quality of starting QB play for a first rounder is more than worth it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forge said:

I think he is. Nobody is acquiring him on the idea that he's only going to be around for 2 years. I think he probably comes with a 3 year extension. 5 years of that quality of starting QB play for a first rounder is more than worth it. 

Not saying he won't fetch a first but unless your whole team on both sides of the ball is playoff esque and just missing a QB, its not worth it. 

 

Our defensive backfield and DL is too terrible to consider it. Otherwise I'd be ok with a package of picks not including a first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nagahide13 said:

Is Dallas a potential dark-horse?

interesting question....would they be willing to make the decision early to check out on Dak and just let him go to FA? I feel like their priority is going to be Dak, but there's certainly some Kirk Cousins vibes going on between those two, and maybe Dallas just cuts bait. Jerry has already planted some seeds that it may cocme to that . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

33 year old QB that never won a playoff game with 2 years remaining on a big contract. No it doesnt. Not for someone smart. No unless you have the best defense in the league and an average supporting cast.

Again this has more to do with teams bidding his price up. It only takes one team to offer a 1st. At the very least colts, WFT will be willing to trade a late first. If you don't wAnt to move your 1st then don't call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BullsandBroncos said:

Not saying he won't fetch a first but unless your whole team on both sides of the ball is playoff esque and just missing a QB, its not worth it. 

 

Our defensive backfield and DL is too terrible to consider it. Otherwise I'd be ok with a package of picks not including a first.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were referring to it in a vacuum. Yeah, no...certain teams it's a yes for Stafford, certain teams a no. Agree wholeheartedly there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

33 year old QB that never won a playoff game with 2 years remaining on a big contract. No it doesnt. Not for someone smart. No unless you have the best defense in the league and an average supporting cast.

This stuff has always killed me.

The Lions have been (rightfully) ripped for their struggles at GM and along the coaching staff, but that same logic doesn't pertain to Stafford's lack of team success? Of course it does. It's no coincidence that, when the Lions had the 2nd best defense in the NFL, they went 11-5 and narrowly lost a close (and controversial) playoff game against the Cowboys.

Put Stafford on a quality team that needs a QB and they'll go deep into the playoffs.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

There’s no way Jimmy G could get tied into a trade for Stafford right?

I can't see JimmyG having any appreciable value to Detroit (if he'd even agree to go there anyway).  Don't see any point to wrapping him up in a trade for Stafford.  Seems like the Niners and everyone else would be better served trying to pawn Jimmy off on somebody else, in a completely separate deal elsewhere to somewhere he'd accept.  Between his performance, contract, and the market limited by his control over his destination...it seems like it'd probably be more or less a dump for pocket change.  But if that's what it takes for the SF to upgrade from Jimmy to Stafford, it'd be eminently worth it.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I can't see JimmyG having any appreciable value to Detroit (if he'd even agree to go there anyway).  Don't see any point to wrapping him up in a trade for Stafford.  Seems like the Niners and everyone else would be better served trying to pawn Jimmy off on somebody else, in a completely separate deal elsewhere to somewhere he'd accept.  Between his performance, contract, and the market limited by his control over his destination...it seems like it'd probably be more or less a dump for pocket change.  But if that's what it takes for the SF to upgrade from Jimmy to Stafford, it'd be eminently worth it.

Absolute truth.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard pass from me. Can't see BB paying Stafford what he wouldn't pay Brady, nor would I want us to give away our highest draft pick in years, and that's if our first would be enough which I probably doubt. 

We have way too many holes, give me Brissett or Fitzmagic as a bridge with a QB in the draft within the next two years.

Edited by ToonPatriot
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This stuff has always killed me.

The Lions have been (rightfully) ripped for their struggles at GM and along the coaching staff, but that same logic doesn't pertain to Stafford's lack of team success? Of course it does. It's no coincidence that, when the Lions had the 2nd best defense in the NFL, they went 11-5 and narrowly lost a close (and controversial) playoff game against the Cowboys.

Put Stafford on a quality team that needs a QB and they'll go deep into the playoffs.

You had a quality team and he still couldn't get it done (controversial call or not) at some point you pretty much are what you are.

I'm sorry, im not assuming anything when it comes to Stafford. Doesn't that say a lot about him that you almost have to have perfect settings for him to be successful? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...