Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

49 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Look man, I lived in Detroit for 16 years and watched a lot of the majority of the games after my team played (Browns). I just formed my own opinion of the guy, thats all. I think we all can have different opinions of guys, its not about win or losing. Thats just how I feel about the guy, plus I don't think he is much of a leader either, even though he plays through injury. But then again, that is just my opinion, I don't think its right or wrong. 

Woah. As a self-proclaimed "Stafford expert", of all the things you can criticize about the player, you go after his leadership? That's indisputably one of his many strengths. (At least, to someone who has watched him play as much as you.)

"I've just formed my own opinion, and that opinion is my opinion is better than your opinion because I'm not a fan of the team and you are."

Gotcha. *Finger guns*

I think one thing you seem to miss is that "playing his best" and "forced to throw due to a deficit on the scoreboard" are extremely different things. You've got games like the one on Thanksgiving in 2015 against the Eagles where he completed 71% of his passes for 337 yards and 5 TDs with 0 INTs. They never trailed in that game. He had an incredible performance.

Unless you're going to argue that the Eagles opened the game running a prevent defense, and stayed in that defense for the full 60 minutes... I guess anything is possible. But, no, he doesn't only perform "at his best" when his team is losing and defenses are in a prevent defense. That's a horrible argument, and there's nothing that supports it. (Other than "I watch him play a lot, and I'm not a fan, so my opinion is more accurate by default.")

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

See this is the thing, i'm not putting the blame on all of these other factors, I put the blame on Stafford. I say this because I almost watched him damn near every Sunday, I watch the same games you watch. He is at his best when he is down multiple touchdowns when teams go into prevent defense then he tears them a new butt hole. Its never when teams are playing their normal defense. Now you are right, they never had a sustainable run game to rely on, but life isn't fair, but then again, the best running game they had was with Reggie Bush and Joique Bell. I just think at some point, people need to stop making excuses for the guy and not be afraid to say that some of the blame goes on him. 

In my eyes, he just isn't anyone that elevates the room, he just goes along with whats already going. For instance, if he were to go to the Patriots, would he really be that much better? I doubt it, they don't have anywhere the weapons he needs to be successful, now Dallas, that could work for him. They are loaded on offense and probably go all out to address the defense this offseason. 

My point is, I just don't think he deserves or did anything to deserve the benefit of the doubt that say a Deshawn Watson would get.

His best quarter, statistically speaking, is the 1st quarter. Are you suggesting that most of the games he’s played in they were way far behind in the 1st quarter and the other team ran prevent? 

Edited by theuntouchable
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Hmm. $22M cap hit for the next 3 years. 27 years old. Still a stud. Add the 10th overall pick, tag Golladay and build with picks #7 and #10.

I can see it.

It also makes no sense whatsoever. For you guys it would be amazing value but for Dallas that would be an exceptionally bad trade although I started to consider them a dark horse for Stafford. They’re possibly the only team dumb enough to let a 27-year old franchise QB walk in free agency for nothing. 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It also makes no sense whatsoever. For you guys it would be amazing value but for Dallas that would be an exceptionally bad trade although I started to consider them a dark horse for Stafford. They’re possibly the only team dumb enough to let a 27-year old franchise QB walk in free agency for nothing. 

I personally think that Stafford is a better player, and Stafford with Zeke, that offensive line and those weapons would make a formidable offense. Stafford would also be cheaper (salary wise) than Dak.

I also think Jerry Jones' reluctance to pay Dak says something in this as well.

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Stafford, with that contract, is not getting the Lions a top 10 pick in the draft with his age.

I saw from a Broncos insider that the asking price to get it done would likely be two 2nd rounders.

Your Broncos insider is a little outnumbered. Maybe that's just what the Broncos would pay.

I do agree that speculation is probably inflated a bit, but I'm still hoping for a mid to late first rounder and maybe another pick.

Stafford's contract is friendly for a somewhat above average starter. Something like 15th in the league cap hit wise, and two years left on it, it isn't bad.

Edited by Superduperman

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Stafford, with that contract, is not getting the Lions a top 10 pick in the draft with his age.

I saw from a Broncos insider that the asking price to get it done would likely be two 2nd rounders.

"That contract"? It's the 14th highest QB contract in the NFL right now. It's a fantastic contract.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Your Broncos insider is a little outnumbered. Maybe that's just what the Broncos would pay.

I do agree that speculation is probably inflated a bit, but I'm still hoping for a mid to late first rounder and maybe another pick.

Stafford's contract is friendly for a somewhat above average starter. Something like 15th in the league cap hit wise, and two years left on it, it isn't bad.

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

"That contract"? It's the 14th highest QB contract in the NFL right now. It's a fantastic contract.

Again - it doesn’t matter what the book value is.  The market sets the price.  The teams that are behind the highest bidder decide if they want to meet it.   And FTR that contract is 2/43M because the signing / restructure $ stays with DET - 20M 2021 & 23M 2022.  Cap wise it’s 14th in 2021 and in 2022 it’s 19th.   And 2022 we will see Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson & likely Kyler Murray extended.   So yes the contract is a bargain if you are getting top 12 play (on DEN I’d put him at 8-10 range healthy).

If IND is willing to give up 1.21 - 2 2nds isn’t getting it done.   It may be what GM Paton is willing to give.   But it won’t be what DET takes.  1.21 far outstrips 2 2nds.  

If SF is then willing to give up 1.12 then DEN’s only path is to give up 1.9 or pass.   

I don’t see any other team in the top 12 who is giving up their pick because they’re too far away to get a 33-year old QB, already have their guy (DAL signs Dak imo) or will get Watson or one of the top 3 draft QB’s.  

DET is getting a 1st.   It’s just a Q of how high the 1st ends up being and it’s directly related to the bidders.  1.9, 1.12 or 1.21 (plus extra for IND) are the outcomes at this stage.   It’s a matter of who blinks first. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2