Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

33 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Coaches: "Stafford is a leader."

Teammates: "Stafford is a leader."

Media: "Stafford is a leader."

"MSURacerDT55": "Nah..."

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Asked about comments Esiason made on WXYT-FM (97.1) criticizing Stafford's passive play and laid-back leadership style

While some Lion fans may be protective of Stafford and attack Warner for his criticism, I will not.

Warner is 100 percent correct. 

During the last two losses the Lions offense looked flabbergasted.  They looked confused, unsure of why things aren't working the way they were earlier in the season.  But it shouldn't take Kurt Warner to tell them why.  Stafford is not playing as well.

Some blame the offensive line, saying they are the reason Stafford is not completing passes at a high percentage. They say he doesn't have enough time; he is getting hit too much. 

Sorry, but I don't buy it.  This is the NFL.  Quarterbacks need to be able to play—and play well—under pressure.

"I'm like, in this league, with these rules, are you kidding me? So there's something missing."

It began two days ago, when Suh posted on Instagram that Jared Goff, the current Los Angeles Rams quarterback, was the best quarterback he has ever had while joking that he couldn't sack the second-year pro.

"I'm getting sick and tired of talking about Matthew Stafford," Gannon said. "The guy is overpaid. He's been one of the highest-paid quarterbacks over the last four or five years, and he's a stat king. He picks up a lot of yards and production in garbage time.

"At some point, you are what your record says you are. They haven't been competitive enough in this division. The reason why the Lions are not a better football team - a big reason why - is the lack of production from Stafford in the first quarter to the third quarter. He just doesn't put his team in position to be competitive and win close games."

Matthew Stafford avoids Patricia criticism after firing: 'It's important to win'

Edited by MSURacerDT55

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

So these guys aren't "breaking news" types, but they are guys that do know some people within the 49er organization, so kind of a mixed bag here. 

I mean, SF has 1.12 & DEN has 1.9 - they should be the front runners.     It's pretty simple, who's willing to give more.    IND won't allow either to offer 2 2nd's, it's more a question of whether new GM Paton believes in Lock enough to pas (ugh if yes) or there's a medical issue that comes up that makes 1.9 unpalatable (to be clear, rib injuries this year, and spinous process fractures last year wouldn't be long-term concerns - but any time you are 33, and have absorbed that much punishment, there could be a flag that prevents safely projecting playing at peak to near-peak form into your age 37-38 season).     Any of those outcomes are possible, Paton's a huge wildcard.   Elway's loyalty to Lock (having traded back up to get him at 2.41) would have made this less likely.   Who knows now.

In a perfect world, DEN would have loved Stafford to become available next year - they'd be sure on Lock (there's been enough flat growth IMO to make that call if a guy like Stafford is available, but I'm not Paton obv lol), and more importantly, the good rebuild that's happened on O (except with RT & QB), would likely have been complemented by 1 more year of D development.    But if they wait until next year, it's also pretty clear there is no Watson, no Stafford-level vet who becomes available.   DEN won't trade 1.9 if they think this is only a 2-year solution - their window is just starting to open legitimately.   They'd absolutely consider it if they felt good about Stafford giving them 5+ years of peak performance.   That, and Paton's belief in Lock (or lack thereof, where I'm at), likely dictates our bid.

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I mean, SF has 1.12 & DEN has 1.9 - they should be the front runners.     It's pretty simple, who's willing to give more.    IND won't allow either to offer 2 2nd's, it's more a question of whether new GM Paton believes in Lock enough to pas (ugh if yes) or there's a medical issue that comes up that makes 1.9 unpalatable (to be clear, rib injuries this year, and spinous process fractures last year wouldn't be long-term concerns - but any time you are 33, and have absorbed that much punishment, there could be a flag that prevents safely projecting playing at peak to near-peak form into your age 37-38 season).     Any of those outcomes are possible, Paton's a huge wildcard.   Elway's loyalty to Lock (having traded back up to get him at 2.41) would have made this less likely.   Who knows now.

In a perfect world, DEN would have loved Stafford to become available next year - they'd be sure on Lock, and more importantly, the good rebuild that's happened on O (except with RT & QB), would likely have been complemented by 1 more year of D development.    But if they wait until next year, it's also pretty clear there is no Watson, no Stafford-level vet who becomes available.   DEN won't trade 1.9 if they think this is only a 2-year solution - their window is just starting to open legitimately.   They'd absolutely consider it if they felt good about Stafford giving them 5+ years of peak performance.   That, and Paton's belief in Lock (or lack thereof, where I'm at), likely dictates our bid.

You will guys will not offer #9 because if you do, the niners have to offer more and that is not something I want to do. 

So I have forbidded it. 

FORBIDDED IT! 

• Like 2

Just now, August4th said:

Niners become SB favs out of the NFC if they land stafford?

One of. There's nothing that would support that they are considerably better than a few other NFC teams, and they have a whole lot of problems in FA. I mean, if they can't re-sign Trent, their entire season may just go up in smoke 

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

(Nonsense)

Oh wow. This is priceless. I stopped what I was doing to respond to this.

Starting with the most obvious first: 12 year career and six links. Interesting.

What's more: I googled "matthew stafford leadership" and pulled up 12 sources praising his leadership ability right away. (You can do it too.) Instead of just posting those and believing that I've made some sort of point, lets look at yours.

Link #1, 2018: Boomer Esiason criticizing Matthew Stafford for not yelling more on the sidelines. Now, as a self-proclaimed "Matthew Stafford expert" who has watched the entirety of his career, you would know this isn't true at all... that Matthew Stafford is quite animated when he needs to be. But, hey, lets not let the (obvious) truth get in the way of a good narrative.

Link #2, 2011: Kurt Warner criticizing Stafford's consistency on the field. Absolutely no mention of Stafford's leadership. (You had to reach back to 2011 to find a quote that wasn't even relevant to the topic. Golf clap.)

Link #3: What?

Link #4, 2018: Ndamukong Suh praising Goff for being the best QB he has ever had. No mention of leadership. What is this?

Link #5, 2018: Gannon calling Stafford "overpaid" based purely on performance. No mention of leadership.

Link #6, 2020: Stafford avoids media questions criticizing Patricia, stating instead that it's "important to win". 

I mean... really? What was this? In a conversation about Stafford's leadership abilities, you posted six links, one as far back as 2011, and only one of those links mentions Stafford's leadership in any way. (That link, is Esiason criticizing Stafford for not... yelling more... on the sidelines.)

If I'm going to be honest, that's a pretty pathetic showing. If that's your rebuttal, why even respond at all?

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Oh wow. This is priceless. I stopped what I was doing to respond to this.

Starting with the most obvious first: 12 year career and six links. Interesting.

What's more: I googled "matthew stafford leadership" and pulled up 12 sources praising his leadership ability right away. (You can do it too.) Instead of just posting those and believing that I've made some sort of point, lets look at yours.

Link #1, 2018: Boomer Esiason criticizing Matthew Stafford for not yelling more on the sidelines. Now, as a self-proclaimed "Matthew Stafford expert" who has watched the entirety of his career, you would know this isn't true at all... that Matthew Stafford is quite animated when he needs to be. But, hey, lets not let the (obvious) truth get in the way of a good narrative.

Link #2, 2011: Kurt Warner criticizing Stafford's consistency on the field. Absolutely no mention of Stafford's leadership. (You had to reach back to 2011 to find a quote that wasn't even relevant to the topic. Golf clap.)

Link #3: What?

Link #4, 2018: Ndamukong Suh praising Goff for being the best QB he has ever had. No mention of leadership. What is this?

Link #5, 2018: Gannon calling Stafford "overpaid" based purely on performance. No mention of leadership.

Link #6, 2020: Stafford avoids media questions criticizing Patricia, stating instead that it's "important to win". 

I mean... really? What was this? In a conversation about Stafford's leadership abilities, you posted six links, one as far back as 2011, and only one of those links mentions Stafford's leadership in any way. (That link, is Esiason criticizing Stafford for not... yelling more... on the sidelines.)

If I'm going to be honest, that's a pretty pathetic showing. If that's your rebuttal, why even respond at all?

- I mean, you totally refuted the idea that he didn't have any type of criticism as if he was viewed as some type of General Patton type of leader (Which I knew for a fact wasn't true)

- To totally minimize all of the evidence against what you said was expected...

Edited by MSURacerDT55

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

You will guys will not offer #9 because if you do, the niners have to offer more and that is not something I want to do. 

So I have forbidded it. 

FORBIDDED IT! 

I'd put a good word in to the DEN FO....but I chose to give a like instead.     How about them apples now????

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think you could argue Niners are one of the favorites if they have Jimmy G next year too. NFC should be wide open again and if they come back healthy I would put them right there.

That's a bridge too far.   

(But yes, I like them to bounce back, I just expect it's going to be with another QB at the helm - hopefully NOT Stafford lol).