Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

That's a bridge too far.   

(But yes, I like them to bounce back, I just expect it's going to be with another QB at the helm - hopefully NOT Stafford lol).

It may be but who is the favorites in the NFC? There were no clear favorites this year and next year the Saints are likely at least to fall back somewhat. Rams have lots of questions with replacing Staley, FAs, and at QB. I'd expect the Packers and Bucs to still be towards the top but don't see either as overwhelming favorites. 49ers defense should fall off a little but if they actually keep Aiyuk, Kittle, and Deebo healthy then they have a very formidable receiving group to go with what we know Shanahan will create with the ground game. 

I just see the NFC next year having a ton of teams living in the upper middle class with the 49ers definitely there even with JG. If they upgrade at QB then that only helps them.

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It may be but who is the favorites in the NFC? There were no clear favorites this year and next year the Saints are likely at least to fall back somewhat. Rams have lots of questions with replacing Staley, FAs, and at QB. I'd expect the Packers and Bucs to still be towards the top but don't see either as overwhelming favorites. 49ers defense should fall off a little but if they actually keep Aiyuk, Kittle, and Deebo healthy then they have a very formidable receiving group to go with what we know Shanahan will create with the ground game. 

I just see the NFC next year having a ton of teams living in the upper middle class with the 49ers definitely there even with JG. If they upgrade at QB then that only helps them.

JimmyG got to the SB with the D playing at near generational-level elite level, over -20 percent by DVOA.    So many things have to go right to get that kind of year from a unit, not just talent accumulation.   Counting on that again is very iffy IMO.  JimmyG is literally the limiting factor (besides injuries, which you can't control) on that team.  

I like them as a dark horse pick.   I hope they give decent odds, I'll take it.   Just calling them a favorite with JimmyG, I can't do.   You have to be near-generational on D to sniff the SB with a limited O.   DEN did it with Peyton-corpse in 2015, but it's rare as hen's teeth.   

Get a QB upgrade (hopefully not Stafford lol), though, and I'm on board as 1 of the top 3 team calls for the NFC.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I wonder what it would cost to acquire him though. He's just 32 and making good money iirc, not sure how many years left but if Watson costs 3 1sts, does Stafford cost 1?

Absolutely. Think of all of the trash 1st round picks over the years. Now a year post COVID with the combine and limited eval for multiple prospects. If there is ever a year to devalue draft picks...this is the year. 

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Absolutely. Think of all of the trash 1st round picks over the years. Now a year post COVID with the combine and limited eval for multiple prospects. If there is ever a year to devalue draft picks...this is the year. 

IND's going to offer 1.21 without blinking.   The question is do SF & DEN offer 1.12 & 1.9?

I think it's more likely SF/DEN win the bidding here, TBH.

Ppl forget Stafford is only turning 33 this year.   He played 16 games every season from 2011-18.  2019 & 2020 are in theory unrelated, one-time injuries.    Given his arm talent, it's not one that fades at age 36-38, like it did with Rivers/Eli.    HIs medicals need to check out (because you can certainly hide a chronic problem), but getting 5+ peak years isn't a crazy prop.   DEN will need that certainty to give up 1.9, though.   That and new GM Paton's belief in Lock (which I do not share any hope on personally), will likely decide how hard the Broncos push for him.

With the rules nowadays, QB's playing in peak or near-peak form (foot speed notwithstanding) until age 36-37 (4-5 more years) is very common, if they have good arm strength to begin with, and haven't been hit with an injury with high risk for reoccurrence.    DEN's OL has really turned around, and is now a top 10 unit, and only needs a RT upgrade (who doesn't lol).    That's a recipe for 5+ years of peak play if the medicals clear Stafford.

If the medicals do check out, I will fully support the move, no matter how it turns out.  The reasoning, assuming there are no health flags, is so sound to get him.

Edited by Broncofan

35 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- I mean, you totally refuted the idea that he didn't have any type of criticism as if he was viewed as some type of General Patton type of leader (Which I knew for a fact wasn't true)

- To totally minimize all of the evidence against what you said was expected...

What? I just said leadership was a strength. That's it. One Boomer Esiason "he doesn't yell enough" line, with absolutely no firsthand contact between the two of them, and absolutely nothing else does not refute that.

You seem really desperate here. I'm not exactly sure why that is.

26 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I wonder what it would cost to acquire him though. He's just 32 and making good money iirc, not sure how many years left but if Watson costs 3 1sts, does Stafford cost 1?

Absolutely. Maybe a little more. I could see a 1 + conditional. Depends on where the first rounder is though (Niners / Denver less likely to have to add than say Colts) 

16 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

What? I just said leadership was a strength. That's it. One Boomer Esiason "he doesn't yell enough" line, with absolutely no firsthand contact between the two of them, and absolutely nothing else does not refute that.

You seem really desperate here. I'm not exactly sure why that is.

Not necessary, I have no dog in the fight, just making an observation. I had a stance, you had yours, good day.

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/27/lions-have-already-talked-to-one-third-of-the-league-about-matthew-stafford/

About a third of the league has reached out to the Lions about a potential Stafford trade, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Among the teams that have been mentioned as potential trade partners for the Lions are the Colts, 49ers, Broncos, Patriots, Football Team, Panthers, Raiders, Rams, Texans and Cowboys.

Some real surprises in this list, esp the bolded....Watson is likely a goner anyway, but if any of the other bolded teams get Stafford, than one of Carr/Goff/Dak could get moved too

This gives me Carson Palmer vibes (in a good way).  Palmer had some solid years between 2013-2016 and was about the same age as Stafford when he got sent to Arizona.  And like Stafford, Palmer hadn't won a playoff game either.

Curious to see the compensation though.  Not that I wouldn't like to see him on the Panthers... but a 1st round pick is quite the risk, at least for us as I don't think that guarantees a playoff birth in 2021 or even 2022.  But it would be worth it for the 49ers.  Stafford with Shanahan and that defense?  Sheesh.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Not sure if that's a great source on that, is it?

About as good as Dilla, I would imagine. Kind of hte same type of dude. I actually just said that in the 49er forum LOL

I wouldn't put a ton of stock in it, though some of it makes sense. I will say * a lot * of the 9ers twitter bloggers are hyping this up, but I think it's a lot of third hand information? Like, info they get from a source who has a source in the org. I've heard the rumor about them trying to hold on to 12 from a couple of different places...that actually has the ring of truth. I'm kind of prepping for the John Lynch press conference where he talks about what a competitive package we put together and how it may have been the best and the lions just decided to go another direction, blah blah. 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

If this is all the niners are willing to do, I'm going to say someone else lands him. I don't see how that's the winning bid against others. 

I have a TON of respect for the SF FO, but a FUTURE 1st?    With Stafford at the helm, that's likely a pick in the 20's.

DET has been a bad org, but their GM's name is Tucker, not Sucker.

(I know it's Brad Holmes, just work with me here)

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I have a TON of respect for the SF FO, but a FUTURE 1st?    With Stafford at the helm, that's likely a pick in the 20's.

DET has been a bad org, but their GM's name is Tucker, not Sucker.

(I know it's Brad Holmes, just work with me here)

yeah, if that's what they are really trying to make work (and again...source is meh, but I've heard it from a few of these 9er twitter blogger niner nation type guys, so I'm willing to give it some legs and I want it to be true LOL) then I wouldn't expect him to be a niner. We will see. I still think that the niners are the most likely place (Grant Cohn is now also adding his voice to that, which means only slightly more than nothing), but I don't buy the "future first" stuff at all with a third of the league calling.