Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

And I'd guarantee that he comes with an extension which means lower cap hit next year which allows the niners to pay guys like Trent williams

Not sure you get much lower with an extension.

He's only 21.5 a year right now because lots of the money stays on Detroit's books. (or it was already front loaded)

An extension has to be in the mid 30s per year at minimum. (if you trade that for a guy he can ask for 40 a year)

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

SF has nailed some of these picks.

They've been okay on first round guys. Not great. 

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

We might look at the last 10 guys picked at 12 and say "Let's do this!"

#12 has actually had some huge hits the last decade which is funny. Watson, Fletcher Cox, obj. 

That being said, the niners have a window and their qb is the weak link

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

He's only 21.5 a year right now because lots of the money stays on Detroit's books. (or it was already front loaded)

An extension has to be in the mid 30s per year at minimum. (if you trade that for a guy he can ask for 40 a year)

You save 15 or so. Adding savings from Jimmy is about 20. The extension will be part of the deal, I imagine. They aren't B.O.Bing this

People need to stop saying the Steelers.

Its not going to happen.

Big D0uche is coming back another year and even if he wasnt, the chances of us trading much for Stafford would be slim.     The Steelers only traded a first for Minkah because he was still very young and had 4 years left on his rookie deal.    Even if Ben retires tomorrow, they arent going to give up 1st round value for a 30+ year old QB that needs a new huge contract.    Thats not how the Steelers operate.

Ben will be the QB in 2021, unfortunately, which leaves us very little room for anything else.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

No way he asks for 30+ on an extension, most of the reason he wants to leave DET is to play on a contender, why cripple their cap the moment you arrive? He’s made his money, wouldn’t surprise me if any extension is <20 per year.

Just now, ChazStandard said:

No way he asks for 30+ on an extension, most of the reason he wants to leave DET is to play on a contender, why cripple their cap the moment you arrive? He’s made his money, wouldn’t surprise me if any extension is <20 per year.

This sounds like wishful thinking.

2 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Even if he did, doesn't matter. Starts in 2023. If the cap goes up over next two as is thought, it's not all that bad

• Like 2

Colts is my prediction. I think the Eagles are gonna keep Wentz another year after firing Pederson. Just wouldn't make sense to let them both go. They thought Pederson was the problem, and they are gonna gamble on Wentz another year with a new offense system.

Stafford on the Colts would be a great fit. They would instantly be my pick to win the AFC South, and probably a Top 2 seed.

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

People need to stop saying the Steelers.

Its not going to happen.

Big D0uche is coming back another year and even if he wasnt, the chances of us trading much for Stafford would be slim.     The Steelers only traded a first for Minkah because he was still very young and had 4 years left on his rookie deal.    Even if Ben retires tomorrow, they arent going to give up 1st round value for a 30+ year old QB that needs a new huge contract.    Thats not how the Steelers operate.

Ben will be the QB in 2021, unfortunately, which leaves us very little room for anything else.  

I thank the football Gods for Bens arrogance. 

Him somehow convincing himself he has something in the tank so I don’t have to watch Stafford on the Steelers is glorious.

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

This sounds like wishful thinking.

More what I would do in his situation than wishful thinking. I would gladly take the pay cut to increase my chances of immortality. its not even a definite loss, it’s an investment. If you win the SB you can make up your low contract with huge endorsement deals you’d never get otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Malik said:

No idea why people keep saying he 'deserves' to play for a winner. That man got almost a 1/4 a billion dollars from Detroit and they accomplished nothing of note since 09 when he was drafted.

I think it’s just because he’s been saddled with dud coaches and bad luck, whilst always trying his hardest and never complaining. He seems a good guy, and playing 11 years without ever really getting a shot at the SB is tough.