Lions and Stafford agree to part ways and will explore trades.

TheRealMcCoy

Sad day as a Lions fan. But Stafford gave us 12 years of heart and determination. He’s a great guy on and off the field. He deserves a shot on a team with a run game and defense. Whoever trades for him is getting a stand up guy with lots of talent and guts. Hopefully the Lions get some nice picks back to help build this team. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

There is rumors out there that San Fran is willing to part with #12, a 3rd this year and a 2nd year 

Those are most likely made up rumors my guy. Niners FO is EXTREMELY tight lipped. Nothing leaks out of our building. We use to have an absurd amount of leaks to the media, but when John Lynch came on board he was able to put a stop to all of it.

Anytime you hear anything about the niners that is this specific with regards to their plans, its fake 

7 hours ago, theuntouchable said:
7 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Where did you hear that?

Few different tweets, online articles. Nobody has listed a source for their info and could just be speculation based on value but there’s a lot swirling around out there right now. 

Yeeeaaahhhh this is just a made up rumor

You will take #12 and a (future?) 3rd and be happy.

I wonder if he has a no-trade clause so that he gets some say in his destination. If I am DET I try and get the bears desperate FO to give me next years first lol

50 minutes ago, N4L said:

Those are most likely made up rumors my guy. Niners FO is EXTREMELY tight lipped. Nothing leaks out of our building. We use to have an absurd amount of leaks to the media, but when John Lynch came on board he was able to put a stop to all of it.

Anytime you hear anything about the niners that is this specific with regards to their plans, its fake 

Yeeeaaahhhh this is just a made up rumor

You will take #12 and a (future?) 3rd and be happy.

I wonder if he has a no-trade clause so that he gets some say in his destination. If I am DET I try and get the bears desperate FO to give me next years first lol

I do agree with what you are saying..I doubt He has a trade clause seeing the time of his extension..you'll eat 43 to 49 mill and the lions will save around 14 mill if the trade is done. Jimmy isn't the guy for the 49ers but I can for sure seeing Stafford Winning on a 49ers team then anywhere else atm maybe INDY...and if it come down to picks yes i can see one or the other in INDY or SF offering a first and a second ad if not a 3rd with a 2nd or 3rd in the next year draft.

It makes sense all around.  The Stafford in Detroit thing has run its course and yielded no fruit.  Might as well let the guy go and try to salvage something out of the remaining years of his career.  And from the Lions end...it's obviously time to just move on to a new era and start fresh.

I really do hope we get a chance to see Stafford healthy, and with an actually solid, competitive roster around him.  See what he can really actually do, when put in a position to succeed and win.

Have to think Indy, New England, and San Francisco would be the likeliest suitors.  Throw Washington in there as a wildcard maybe, and i wouldn't rule out Chicago either actually.  By the time Detroit have swallowed the dead money on that contract, it actually looks pretty attractive for a good quarterback of Stafford's ilk.  He's gotta have more left in the tank than Rivers or Peyton did at their "late career rental" sort of phases.

Stafford would improve our passing offense greatly, but he isn't the answer. Against better teams, he rarely comes through late. 

He'd also be throwing to stumps compared to what he's had in his career. Too expensive as well, for someone that won't win anything for us.

It would be easier to watch us though....

Matt Stafford has 74 career wins and has had to lead a come from behind gwd in 38 of those wins. Matt Stafford's 4 winning seasons in 12 years is equivalent to the combined total of every Lions Quarterback since 1989. Matt Stafford has had 11 100 yard tailback performances in his entire career and the first one didn't come until his 4th year.

He is a great QB held down by a DISASTER of a franchise. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Matt Stafford has 74 career wins and has had to lead a come from behind gwd in 38 of those wins. Matt Stafford's 4 winning seasons in 12 years is equivalent to the combined total of every Lions Quarterback since 1989. Matt Stafford has had 11 100 yard tailback performances in his entire career and the first one didn't come until his 4th year.

He is a great QB held down by a DISASTER of a franchise. 

People keep saying this, but the Lions never attempted to run the ball. Outside of the 2014 and 2019 the Lions never attempted to run the ball. Those 2 seasons were the only ones in his career where they were in the top HALF in rushing attempts. It's hard to have many 100 yard rushing performances when you're 31st in attempts. The Falcons are similar in that since 2012 they've rarely attempted to rush the ball.